First Aid System question

Hey everyone.

I'm going out west this year for an archery elk hunt and hopefully a mule deer or antelope hunt. I know quite a bit about first aid since I have spent the last 11 years in the Army and have done some serious life-saving procedures to save some buddies downrange. While I know basically what is needed I'm curious to see what everyone recommends for a backpacking trip?

I will be mostly day hunting from a truck base camp with a possible 3-5 day spike camp into the mountains. I have a lot already but I am curious to see some of the overlooked items all of you may recommend. Links to other posts would be appreciated.

The sloppy and rough list I have as of now is :
bow repair kit
leukotape
fire starter w/ lighter
small repair tape for tent/sleep system
super glue
in-reach mini
various gauze sizes
mini sharpie w/ gorilla tape wrapped around it
chapstick w/ spf
tweezers
butterfly bandages
athletic tape
tourniquet
quick clot
antiseptic wipes
bug repellent
after bite
space blanket or lightweight tarp for day hunt only
battery charger w/ cables
meds (Benedryl, ibuprofen, antacids, Pepto, Tylenol)
water purification tabs

All of these I plan to put in a Kifaru pullout of some sort. I know it is a little heavy and some non-medical items are in there but I like the idea of having some of these necessities being consolidated. I am open to any and all feedback.

Thanks pals

Felix40

WKR
These things are personal so bring what you want. I would at least drop the space blanket/tarp, bug spray, and afterbite. I cant see much use for them on any of the archery elk or mule deer hunts Ive been on

OP
ZackBoughner52
These things are personal so bring what you want. I would at least drop the space blanket/tarp, bug spray, and afterbite. I cant see much use for them on any of the archery elk or mule deer hunts Ive been on
Just the type of feedback I am looking for. Thank you.

Keep it simple, think about what you’ll encounter that will require a first aid kit and build it according to that. You’re not in a war zone and don’t need the same gear.

Warren

Lil-Rokslider
I agree with @Felix40 this is a personal kit, take whatever you want. I have a similar/small kit and a basecamp kit. They’ve evolved over the years with varies pieces or weight savers. You may get a few giggles but every group needs a medic 🤘🏼

BTW- I use the Magpul DAKA bag with the window for my lite kit, and an Arcteryx Index 5+5 for my base camp/car kit.

J.G.

FNG
I would leave the super glue and athletic tape out. You’re bringing leukotape so can use that in place of the athletic tape. I’d also consider adding a travel pack of tissues, some 550 cord, and spare batteries if you don’t have them somewhere else. Also don’t bring too much gauze.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

mlgc20

WKR
Maybe this is too obvious that you didn't list it, but I would always take bandaids and Neosporin. Also, I would add some Imodium-AD tablets to your meds. Agreed with above poster on taking athletic tape out. You already have leukotape and duct tape. Also, I would consider a waterproof bag to keep your kit in.

Low_Sky

Lil-Rokslider
Way too many tapes. Pick the most useful one and ditch the rest. Ditch the sharpie too. I packed one for years in the mountains and never used it. Ditch the bug bite stuff and chapstick. If you’re really a gotta-have-my-chapstick guy, it’s already in your pocket.

Think to yourself, am I going to use this *every time*, or are the consequences of not having it so high that I *must* bring it just in case.

Your med kit should cover stuff that’s going to end your hunt. Getting the bad shits, or cutting yourself on one of those razor blade sticks you’re walking around with.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

_Scooter_

Lil-Rokslider
Also, if you carry trekking poles just wrap some duct tape around them and that should be all the tap you need. I've taped up my feet with duct tape when I had horrendous blisters, can be used to repair a torn tent or sleeping bag, use a few thin strips to secure a bandage/dressing, etc. Covers all your tape needs. Remember, you're out in the woods, not staying in a hotel. Try and carry things that also have multiple functions/uses instead of carrying a bunch of stuff you MIGHT need.

And second the Immodium/anti-diarrheal. An absolute must. I'd also consider some steri-strips. They weight nothing and take up no space.

As silly as it sounds, I also toss a tiny Swiss army knife in my medical kit. Sure, you're carrying larger knives, but that tiny knife already has tweezers in it and the little scissors are great at trimming away dead skin, trimming blisters and cutting duct tape/cloth tape, can be used as nail clippers in a pinch, etc.

hO7mXCl.jpg

I'd also consider bringing some electrolyte tabs/pills, but this may be something you already have in your food bag. plop one in your water in the morning. Lots of hiking and sweating you'll want to keep up on the and electrolyte loss otherwise you may end up bonking pretty hard eventually.

I personally dont think there's anything in your kit that is a deal breaker. You could definitely ditch the sharpie and only bring one kind of tape since the other stuff is redundant, but all in all the kit really isn't going to take up a lot of space or weight that much.

Last edited:

hogstrong

FNG
Solatac PTK is basic bleed kit, cant get it cheaper than that, has a real CAT Tourniquet, not the cheao chinzi versions. Meds on top. Mosquito spray can be an absolute necessity or useless weight depending where you are

Make bandaids/butterflies out of Leukotape and gauze, they stay so much better. Super glue is nice to have too. That should take care of most cuts that need treatment, and blister management. Take appropriate meds. I also carry burn gel.

The quikclot and a CAT tourniquet go in my kill kit as that is when they will most likely be used.

OP
ZackBoughner52
I would leave the super glue and athletic tape out. You’re bringing leukotape so can use that in place of the athletic tape. I’d also consider adding a travel pack of tissues, some 550 cord, and spare batteries if you don’t have them somewhere else. Also don’t bring too much gauze.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
I definitely will keep the super glue because it is a perfect fix for a lot more than just lacerations. The athletic tape is out for sure tho, thank you. I agree that leukotape and the small amount of gorilla tape will be more than sufficient. For tissue I plan on just having TP and wetwipes, 550 is added, and batteries I have down.

lukelalor

FNG
My perspective might be a slight biased on this one, but I think a lot of people cary a lot of things they don't know how to use. I can't comment on your kit with that in mind, since only know what you could efficiently use.

For most serious injuries, the difference between life and death will be how quickly you can get real medical care. Your in-reach is the best thing you can have for this. Good on you for carrying this.

In a similar perspective, pills are very easy to use. A prescription of antibiotics can solve a lot of problems which would otherwise end a trip (or make a hike out a lot less strenuous). I would never recommend carrying illegal drugs on a public forum, but amphetamines can temporarily solve a lot of problems for long enough to hike to help.

Un-controversial advice: take some aspirin. A single 325 mg pill weighs next to nothing and can be the difference between life and death if you (or somebody you run into) is having a heart attack.

Wassid82

WKR
I work in the healthcare industry and after college I started a robust first aid/emergency kit. I carried it around far too long. I now go minimalist. Luekotape is great. Superglue is fine but I ditched long ago. I used to carry syringe and what not then I was once asked if you have to use all of this stuff in the backcountry you probably have bigger problems than trying to find a way to stay out on a hunt. I figured that was right. my opinion is now to down size as much as possible And if needs be hike out. In the end it just isn’t worth it. Keep it in the truck if you are that worried.