First antelope down

yojo.3

FNG
Managed to get my first antelopee the other day. Couldnt make it out opening weekend so planned on going for the second weekend. Planned on leaving on thursday and stay till monday if needed. Old man had to work most of the day and I took work off duck hunted in the morning. Got the pickup packed and a few things done around the house went picked him up left his place at 430 and we were off. Got to where we planned on camping at about 10 and set up the tent. Woke up friday morning ate breakfast and packed the tent up. Got to the public we were going to hunt and started glassing at sunrise. Didnt see much so we moved further in. Still didnt see much so we kept moving in. He thought he spotted something a ways away so we got out of sight and moved in closer. Turned out to be just a rock. Started glassing from the side of a butte and apotted some real antelope this time. Several does a couple small bucks and one that we thought was pretty nice. Let them get behind a hill and we made our way towards them. When we got close enough they were in the middle of some cattle with all eyes in our direction. they promptly left over the next hill. We backed away moved around the side and headed their direction again. With the cattle following us it didnt make for a good approach. they busted out again. Same plan. Wait for them all to get behind a hill and make our way towards them again. Come over the hill and they are in the wide open. 560 yards out. Too far with the cross wind. We are at the edge of the public and it looks like they are headed toward the water hole on private. So we decided to just wait. For some reason they all decided to turn back around we watched them go over the final hill and we made our way towards them. I look over the hill the went and i didnt see any. So i signaled to my dad whose about 20 yards back to the right nothing. Must be over the next little one. I take 2 more steps and i see they were just around the tip of the hill. They started trotting away and they all stopped. I started at the front of the line trying to figure out which was the good buck. No no no maybe no no no go back to the maybe. Yup thats him. Doe behind him though. Now the real dilemma. i have a buck tag and a doe/kid tag. I could just do a pass through shot. But i wpuld either have to shoot good on the buck and very far forward on the doe or gut shot the buck and lung the doe. i could hear my dad saying to "just shoot. You have 2 tags" but he couldnt see how they were lined up for me. I decided to wait a second and the doe turned around and stepped away. Giving me the clear shot. He stumbled for about 50 yards and down he went. First day on my first antelope hunt got my buck and im very happy with him. Got him cut up and a 2.25 mile walk back to the pickup in the cooler he went and we were on the road home. Round trip was only 27 hours. But it was a good one. Now i cant wait to go again.

Attachments

• 20211008_091314.jpg
    20211008_091314.jpg
    112.4 KB · Views: 186
  • 20211008_094215.jpg
    20211008_094215.jpg
    282.6 KB · Views: 190
  • 20211008_094110.jpg
    20211008_094110.jpg
    253.9 KB · Views: 186

JFK

WKR
Congrats. Nice buck.

I’ve come to realize that when I’m behind the gun I don’t listen to the advice of others if they tell me to shoot, but I do listen if they are saying not to shoot.

Sled

WKR
Nice job on the buck and waiting for the clean kill shot. No need to wound one for the other.