First Archery Buck

OP
huntnful

huntnful

WKR
Great buck and heart shot!! Congrats! Curious where your aim point was and where exactly it hit. In the laying down pic it looks like a shoulder shot, but im guessing thats just the angle in the pic, and you tucked it right behind there?
My aimpoint was the shoulder pocket and the impact was about 3" left probably (of where I was aiming and would liked to have hit). The arrow did go through the meat of both front shoulders right at the furthest rear edge in front of that big tendon. It's not near as far forward as picture makes it look. I have a picture of him before I moved him, I just didn't share it because it's pretty violent, but I'll post it for research purposes I guess lol. Let people know where you can actually hit them and have them die in 10 seconds haha.

OP
huntnful

huntnful

WKR
I really don't like sharing these "As they lay" pictures. They're only really take for myself before I move the animal for pictures and stuff. You can imagine if the leg was straight where the arrow would have just entered that thin meat at the rear of the shoulder. I arrowed a cow elk in almost the exact same spot actually. I need to get away from that shoulder haha.
IMG_3154.jpeg

Moserkr

WKR
Thanks for the pics. Nothing wrong with an as they lay pic, its all part of the hunt. Thats exactly where I thought it hit, just hard to tell from that first pic. Ive been trying for a heart shot, thats why I asked. Great buck for CA. 3x’s are my favorite.

huntsd

WKR
Assuming this was a general zone in CA this is a HUGE accomplishment. Very tough hunting here. Well done!!