First Archery Buck

huntnful

WKR
Finally pulled it off! Two seasons of close encounters and was finally able to seal the deal on the second day of my 3rd archery season in the California high(ish) country. It was mid-day and I had just moved camp to a new location. I was just about to hike up to the nearest glassing knob, when I decided I would still-hunt around the base of it first, and then hike up from the back side. The wind was perfect for it anyways. After about 300 yards of creeping through the shadows, I look across a small drainage to catch this buck just standing up from his bed at 60 yards! He had no idea I was there, I was in the shadows behind a pine tree. I slowly dropped my pack and set my sight tape to 60. Just as I was about to draw back, he spun around, kicked his bed out and laid back down. I got to watch him for a few minutes before he decided to get back up again. I drew back as he was standing, and had an arrow headed his way in a few short seconds. It was a clean heart shot and he was down in literal seconds. Only went maybe 10 yards. Very rewarding feeling to have it all come together finally. Then I got to pack him and my camp out for a nice 6 miles while thinking back on my first archery buck success. I was shooting a 75lb Mathews VXR with gold tip airstrikes and a SEVR 2.0 150gr. Robusto broadhead with an Iron Will collar. 495gr arrow weight. Entrance is shown. There was an exit as well, but not a full pass through.
IMG_3246.jpeg
IMG_3256.jpeg

DAdams

FNG
Finally pulled it off! Two seasons of close encounters and was finally able to seal the deal on the second day of my 3rd archery season in the California high(ish) country. It was mid-day and I had just moved camp to a new location. I was just about to hike up to the nearest glassing knob, when I decided I would still-hunt around the base of it first, and then hike up from the back side. The wind was perfect for it anyways. After about 300 yards of creeping through the shadows, I look across a small drainage to catch this buck just standing up from his bed at 60 yards! He had no idea I was there, I was in the shadows behind a pine tree. I slowly dropped my pack and set my sight tape to 60. Just as I was about to draw back, he spun around, kicked his bed out and laid back down. I got to watch him for a few minutes before he decided to get back up again. I drew back as he was standing, and had an arrow headed his way in a few short seconds. It was a clean heart shot and he was down in literal seconds. Only went maybe 10 yards. Very rewarding feeling to have it all come together finally. Then I got to pack him and my camp out for a nice 6 miles while thinking back on my first archery buck success. I was shooting a 75lb Mathews VXR with gold tip airstrikes and a SEVR 2.0 150gr. Robusto broadhead with an Iron Will collar. 495gr arrow weight. Entrance is shown. There was an exit as well, but not a full pass through.
View attachment 319760
View attachment 319761

Awesome pic of the heart shot!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

wilkINkc

Lil-Rokslider
Heck of a shot, 60 yards and the heart! Way to go man. Preparing for my 2nd year in archery this year. Didn't get one last year but looking to change that this year.

Sobrbiker

WKR
Congrats! Got my first archery (velvet Coues) last year, and was really hoping for a velvet muley hunt this year, but blew my knee out 3d before OTC opener😐
Nice buck, great shot!

Blacktailaddiction

Lil-Rokslider
Congratulations!! Hoping to get my first as well this year have 60 days and plan to hunt most for part of the day until I find a stud . Congrats again!

OP
huntnful

huntnful

WKR
Thank you guys!!! Still pumped about it!!

I normally just do everything gutless, but I just HAD to see what his heart looked like. I was not disappointed!

Moserkr

WKR
Great buck and heart shot!! Congrats! Curious where your aim point was and where exactly it hit. In the laying down pic it looks like a shoulder shot, but im guessing thats just the angle in the pic, and you tucked it right behind there?