First archery bull with my goat kids

I’m a newb to pack goats as I got my first three kids this spring. I took them out on their first hunt this year just to get them acquainted to being out in the woods and following me around while hunting. I trained them by taking them on walks around the neighborhood so they were already good at following along at a brisk pace. They did great on the trail the 4 days we were out. On the 4th morning I heard a bull bugling that I thought was some hunters that started bugling at the trailhead before we took off that morning. I called back to him and it just seemed off so I wrote it off as another hunter and kept hiking. I stopped hiking at about 0830 to set up in an area I know elk bed down at and about 15 min later I see this raghorn through the thick timber making his way towards me. He disappeared behind the rolling terrain so I calf called and gave a short bugle. He worked his way over the ridge about 60 yards away from me and spotted my goats that were feeding about 30 yards away from him. To my surprise, he kept feeding his way towards me and wasn’t phased at all by the goats. At 50 yards he gave me a good quartering to shot and I sent my arrow. This year the goats couldn’t help during the pack out but they did help me get my first archery bull.

Attachments

• 5F2F1D9E-D287-4A33-96D2-C88ADFF9D6AC.jpeg
    5F2F1D9E-D287-4A33-96D2-C88ADFF9D6AC.jpeg
    675.6 KB · Views: 221
  • 4EF3A37B-955A-45E4-856F-68285481FE17.jpeg
    4EF3A37B-955A-45E4-856F-68285481FE17.jpeg
    542.4 KB · Views: 219
so hunting with them i assume you dont have them on leads while hiking? would you tie them up once your in the area your wanting to hunt or do they just kinda wonder around following you?

OP
Jacob.smithjas
so hunting with them i assume you dont have them on leads while hiking? would you tie them up once your in the area your wanting to hunt or do they just kinda wonder around following you?
Goats will follow really well if raised from kids and fed on a bottle. I wouldn’t tie them up in the area I’m hunting since there are so many grizzlies in the area. I have heard of people doing that but I kept them around me and had my elk see them and keep feeding towards me.

JBrotzler

FNG
That is really cool - I wonder what the neighborhood will do when I start walking goats everyday