First archery season 2020

Well I went with my dad to archery hunt for the first time. I stunk pretty badly, and still feel bad about it. My first opportunity: A nice six pointer. Rushed shot, shot too far back.

2nd opportunity: a good buck came below the stand but my stupid phone fell out of my pocket and clanged down the stand 20 feet down and ended up falling 2 feet from the deer. You probably can infer the rest of that hunt.

3rd opportunity: Not quite a deer. Black squirrel 10 yards from my tree. Full draw, then I hear whack 200 yards away from my dads crossbow. Of course, not 2 seconds later a big old doe comes barreling in, runs headlong into an old dead maple, and topples it on herself. After that, she ran another 20 yards and dropped with a double lung and clipping the heart shot.

finally: I was taking a leak behind the pickup camper and then I had a sudden urge to grab my bow. I walked back to the spot and looked in, and lo and behold a large tall 6-8 pointer walks out and stops broadside 8 yards away. The tarsal smell was really strong as you can imagine (why else would a buck stand 10 yards away from a human with a weapon if he didn’t have one thought on his mind). Of course, like an idiot I didn’t grab my release and never was able to take an ethical shot on what would have been a really really easy deer.

thus ended my 2020 archery season, and was mostly a learning season. First lesson: don’t rush your shot. Second lesson: put your equipment in more of a secure place. Third lesson: when at deer camp, don’t go anywhere without your release strapped on.
Really hoping to have better luck in my 2021 season. This season was just really embarrassing as I thought I was ready. It was also very discouraging, I thought my first shot at a deer with a bow would be good.