First Archery Whitetail

Wow is bow hunting different than rifle hunting!

2018 was the first year I had decided to give bow hunting a try. I just moved back to Alberta and a family friend gave us permission to hunt their fields. Day after day we were getting bucks and does in close, but not close enough for me to feel comfortable letting one fly. I had only gotten comfortable out to 40 yards with my setup. After a frustrating bow season, rilfe season opened and I had my buck on the ground.

2019 I realized I needed more time in the stand, more practice shooting and more scouting. I picked a different location. 4 weeks in and I was only seeing does with fawns during daylight hours. Bucks were around the area but only moving at night. On the 5th week early October, I decided to make a scrape by my stand and try my luck with the grunt tube. Just before dark one night I heard a buck grunt and come walking in. He winded me or something spooked him before he came into the clearing. The next weekend the wind was different and I went back to that stand. With 30 minutes left of legal light, I let out a grunt. Nothing happened. 15 minutes later I let out another quick grunt and then came the reply and crunching of leaves by something bigger than a squirrel! Two bucks made there way within 10 yards of the stand looking right at me. I didn't move a muscle. They jumped into the field I was overlooking. As they did so I stood up. They stopped in the field about 35 yards away looking for whoever made that grunt. Luckily I was able to quickly range them, come to full draw, and let an arrow fly at the bigger of the two standing perfectly broadside. Everything on the shot felt solid. SMACK! That's a sound I won't soon forget! I hit him square in both lungs. Luckily instead of heading back to the brush he took off to the field and 50 yards later bed down.

I was quiet impressed how a $500 Cabela's starter bow setup with the right release, arrows, and broad heads preformed on this deer. He wasn't far, and he wasn't a giant, but the thrill and rewards of getting that close to your game has me excited for bow season this year! Hopefully with a little luck we can fill the freezer again with wild game taken with a bow.

Attachments

• IMG_5290.jpg
    IMG_5290.jpg
    179.2 KB · Views: 46
  • IMG_5295.jpg
    IMG_5295.jpg
    189.8 KB · Views: 44
  • 20191015_080305.jpg
    20191015_080305.jpg
    274.1 KB · Views: 35
  • 20191015_080308.jpg
    20191015_080308.jpg
    267.3 KB · Views: 25

phorizt

FNG
Nice buck! I’m hoping to get my first deer this year with a bow(shot a buck 1.5 years w a crossbow but i dont count that).

Which broadheads were you using?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
ClunesAdventures
Nice buck! I’m hoping to get my first deer this year with a bow(shot a buck 1.5 years w a crossbow but i dont count that).

Which broadheads were you using?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thank you ver much! Best of luck to you this year.

I had the Montec G5 broadhead on an Easton arrow. My bow is at the shop and I cannot remember for the life of me which Easton arrow it was.