First Archery

Npento89

FNG
First archery hunt this season, looking for some general tips or advice. Thanks in advance

1. Watch the wind
2. Watch the wind
3. . . Watch the wind

Be in the best shape possible, download the elknut app and practice your calling, consider seeing elk a win, being close a triumph, and killing one your first year monumental success/or dumb luck!

Being a month or so out I hope this post is a part of getting to 10 posts on the site. If your looking for specific tips on gear, calling, etc. There are tons of threads on here that cover all of that. If your wanting to ask unit specific questions I would keep it to the (weather at this time, is water readily available, road conditions) type of questions and steer clear of the where to find elk/where's a good place to start.

If you haven't already call the local biologists and wardens and pick their brains about the area. Other than that don't wear cotton in the mountains and go have fun!

87TT

WKR
Practice practice practice. Check your equipment. Practice some more at angles and odd yardages.

OP
N

Npento89

FNG
Thanks! You are spot-on that I am trying to get to my 10 posts. For my first season, I am really just looking to get out in the wilderness and have some fun, if I see an elk all the better!

Thanks! You are spot-on that I am trying to get to my 10 posts. For my first season, I am really just looking to get out in the wilderness and have some fun, if I see an elk all the better!

This is a perfect attitude for your first year, be prepared and treat every moment as if YOU WILL kill an elk, but be happy to go out and learn. Give it your all and at a minimum you will know what you need to work in for next time! Time spent in the mountains is never bad, it can suck at times, but by the time you're driving home you'll already be thinking of going back up that steep face, or down into some hell hole hoping to catch up to that Bugle!

Jimbob

WKR
When approaching an elk or setting up an ambush envision where the elk will be and when you will draw. Make sure you are in a spot to draw and have a clear shot, don't draw to early and don't draw too late. Getting close and needing to draw your bow when the animal is in tight is what really sets archery hunting apart from rifle hunting.

Phaseolus

WKR
Don’t call or bugle from an exposed spot where that unseen bull will step out, see you, and leave. Don’t ask me how i figured this out...