First Arrow Build - A little confused

gt2003

FNG
The ProShop I purchased my bow at 23 years ago was of the "speed kills" mentality. I'm still shooting that same High Country Split Force bow, draw length 27" and draw weight 60-65 lbs. IF i remember correctly, it Chronographs somewhere 250-260ish with a 340 grain arrow (400 spine GoldTip 5575, standard insert, 4" feathers, 100g tip, 25.75 arrow length from bottom of nock to end of carbon shaft). I've recently become more interested in putting together my own arrows, playing around with inserts etc. to produce a "better penetrating" hunting arrow. I'm not interested in the extremes, just a solid whitetail arrow that will be shot from a ground blind or treestand with usual distances between 15-30 yards.

MY CURRENT IDEA: Replace the standard 12 grain insert with a 100 grain brass insert and reduce feathers to 3 inch (no interest in vanes, sorry)

My Questions:

Will the 400 spine arrow be OK?

Where can I find an Spine Selector chart that takes into account the added tip weight of the brass insert?

If the arrow is tuned well right now, then you will NOT get it to tune with an additional 80+ grains up front.
Easton’s chart is a good reference when trying to utilize extra point weight.

OP
G

gt2003

FNG
Thanks gentlemen. Both charts indicate a 400 spine is acceptable/recommended provided I dont push the Arrow speed up too high.
The current arrows shoot OK but i can’t say they’ve ever really been ‘tuned’. Do you feel its worth a shot to try the inserts or is there another route i should go?

Is there a reason you’re struck on feathers over plastic vanes? Simple 2” blazers are proven for good performance/durability.

A good area to start is total weight of your current arrow and what your foc is. I’m guess it’s somewhere around 370-390 grains. If you add a 100g insert you may lose more speed than you think... Play around with 125g field tips and see what you think. If you don’t notice a minor drop in speed, switch back to 100g and add a 50g insert and so on. It’s really just a guessing game with out a graph. Mass x velocity will get you dialed in.

Since you’re a GT guy (as am I), try their spine finder. They also allow you to put 150 grains of point weight into the selection parameters.

Your bow may be one with a less than 315 fps IBO?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

BFL

FNG
You could purchase a few sets of different weight field tips and see how they all shoot and group. I believe there's a certain ranch fairy kit but I'm pretty sure you could just hit up Amazon and get them yourself.

OP
G

gt2003

FNG
Great idea. Yes, purchasing multiple weights of field points and will begin testing soon.

OP
G

gt2003

FNG
Thanks for all the input so far. I’ve got 400 spine arrows and will be purchasing some 340 spines over the weekend. I got my 3” feathers in today and i’ve got my ranch fairy field tip kit on the way. I do have 1 question I can’t seem to find an answer to:

Where/how far from the end of the arrow shaft should i start my fletching? Is there a specific distance or Is it personal preference?

Gorp2007

WKR
Thanks for all the input so far. I’ve got 400 spine arrows and will be purchasing some 340 spines over the weekend. I got my 3” feathers in today and i’ve got my ranch fairy field tip kit on the way. I do have 1 question I can’t seem to find an answer to:

Where/how far from the end of the arrow shaft should i start my fletching? Is there a specific distance or Is it personal preference?

Personal preference, just make sure it's far enough to get clearance from your face. I like 1" from the carbon.

1” is pretty standard. You want them as far back as possible with out touching your string at full draw.

Zac

WKR

Before you go down the Fairy road make sure your bow is perfectly in spec. If your timing or center shot is off your going to be getting false information and end up building a shaft for an out of spec bow.

OP
G

gt2003

FNG
Quick update: i purchased some goldtip XT Hunter shafts in a 340 spine. I’ve fletched them with 3” feathers. I’m using the standard 12 grain goldtip inserts that are compatible with the goldtip FACT weight inserts. 150 and 175 grain field points both shoot very well and give me an foc between 17-22%. I’m shooting at 20 yards currenty but will be working my way out to 40 yards to see how each weight performs. I will then determine my final setup. Typical hunting shots will range from 5-25 yards. I’m currently leaning towards 170 grains up front weight. I’ll have to see what happens as i increase my distances. Arrows are flying well, hitting hard and sticking straight into the target, not canted in any way. I feel like i’m on the right track. Looking forward to seeing how things progress. Thanks for the info u all have provided so far. Its good to have a knowledgeable group to learn from.

OP
G

gt2003

FNG
Is there a reason you’re struck on feathers over plastic vanes? Simple 2” blazers are proven for good performance/durability.

A good area to start is total weight of your current arrow and what your foc is. I’m guess it’s somewhere around 370-390 grains. If you add a 100g insert you may lose more speed than you think... Play around with 125g field tips and see what you think. If you don’t notice a minor drop in speed, switch back to 100g and add a 50g insert and so on. It’s really just a guessing game with out a graph. Mass x velocity will get you dialed in.
Thanks MH. I really like feathers as they are 1/3 the weight of vanes and stabilize the arrow very quickly.