First Backcountry hunt pack list

OP
treeratslayer24

treeratslayer24

Lil-Rokslider
In general, if you can get the weight for every item and set up your spreadsheet to give you a total, so you can see the weight change as you add or remove gear, it will be helpful. Especially if you continue backpack hunting and refine your gear over the next few years.

I also prefer FSO (from skin out) weight to pack weight. It removes subjectivity as everything that is not part of your body is counted as weight.

If you do continue backpack huntig, sleep and shelter is an area for huge weight savings. As you plan for future hunts this would be one of the first areas I would spend money on.

11.5 ounces is heavy for gloves in a kill kit. 2-3 pairs of heavy duty nitrile gloves with textured palms will be about 1 ounce. (Edit, my pack list shows 2 pair at 1.2 ounces).

This is more personal, but no reason the have two pairs of socks in your pack. One pair in your pack, one on your feet, and one pair in the truck.

At 28 ounces, a second pair of pants is overkill. The pants I use are sub 14 ounces and I still only bring the pair I have on my body.

The battery is heavy to me. For a first trip, go ahead and keep that extra power, but with good power management you can probably save at least a half pound there in the future. This is more personal, but a light can be critical gear, as such I like a spare battery rather than planing to recharge it as this prevents me from using that power on none critical tasks (like listening to a podcast while sitting out a storm or my buddy begging to charge his vap, Etc.).
Great tips. Sleep and shelter seems like a huge savings for sure, so that’s why I chose to borrow this year. If I love it, I’ll get good, light gear for the next one. If I don’t, I’m not out anything at the moment.

You might be misreading the kill kit. That’s my entire kill kit weight. I got tired of weighing each item so I put it all in a bag and weighed it.

I keep going back and forth on the socks. 1 vs 2.

I’ll consider the pants. I think it’ll be last minute based on weather. that pair is a lot warmer and waterproof. The pair I’ll have on aren’t.

Thats exactly how I came to that battery pack. I was nervous it wouldn’t be enough so I went with a bigger one.

Keep the tips coming. Learning a lot!!

OP
treeratslayer24

treeratslayer24

Lil-Rokslider
For a sleeping pad I take a Z-Rest, full length, and a 1/2 length. The 1/2 length is my butt pad during the day and a second layer under my torso at night. The foam pads are a bit bulky compared with the inflatable pads but they never let you down at night due to a leak.
Thanks!

OP
treeratslayer24

treeratslayer24

Lil-Rokslider
Never got the dry wet wipe thing....just bring wet ones IMO...Also, I would bring the best toilet paper you can. No way in hell I would bring paper towels for T.P. might as well hit your ass with an angle grinder before you leave the truck.

Also, personal but I bring zero soap or deodorant. Unless you can't stand your own smell but with wet wipes you should be able to "freshen up enough" or just scrub up in a creek with no soap. again just my personal preference.
All advise is well taken. I’m here to learn. Thanks!

FlyGuy

WKR
I didn’t see binoculars on your list? Did I just miss them or are you planning to just bring the spotting scope? Idk anything about the area you’ll be in but I’d probably go with binos and no spotter if I had to choose? Didn’t see a bino harness either?

For the fishing gear, you can always get a cheap light weight tenkara rod off of Amazon to throw in your bag. It stows way better than a 4 piece rod (about 10” long for a 6’6” one) and it weighs almost nothing. You’ll still probably never even take it out of your bag to fish the entire trip, but it also doesn’t weigh much of anything so it really doesn’t hurt. I often throw one in my pack, and leave the fly rods and gear at the truck to use after the hunt.

Dry wipes are stupid IMO.

Add a poop shovel.

I don’t know anything about first light gear but I only take the lightest/quick dry pants that Sitka makes. I have started taking two (one on me, one in the pack) to switch out each day. I do the same thing with my base hoody. I sweat about 3x more than the average guy and I’m typically soaked from exertion; letting a pair of pants and shirt air out during the day sure helps keep the funk down. I also bring a ridiculous number of socks as the funk is otherworldly if I re-wear. I’m not recommending you do any of that, other than you shouldn’t need heavy pants, it’s just what I do. I’d probably drop the neck gator too but that’s just me.

I wouldn’t bring the hot hands.

Add the water tablets to your emergency kit.

I bring two (asthma) inhalers. Had one clog/plug up on me once with no back-up.

Regarding the food, it looks fine to me, but please don’t make the mistake of bringing the same things to eat every day. I don’t care how much you think you like something, after having to eat it for 5-8 days you will despise it and you may never eat it again in your life. Mix it up and have variety. It’s more complicated but I’m telling you it’s worth it.

It’s a great list overall.

“What is man without the beasts? If all the beasts were gone, man would die from a great loneliness of spirit.“

Chief Seattle

OP
treeratslayer24

treeratslayer24

Lil-Rokslider
I didn’t see binoculars on your list? Did I just miss them or are you planning to just bring the spotting scope? Idk anything about the area you’ll be in but I’d probably go with binos and no spotter if I had to choose? Didn’t see a bino harness either?

For the fishing gear, you can always get a cheap light weight tenkara rod off of Amazon to throw in your bag. It stows way better than a 4 piece rod (about 10” long for a 6’6” one) and it weighs almost nothing. You’ll still probably never even take it out of your bag to fish the entire trip, but it also doesn’t weigh much of anything so it really doesn’t hurt. I often throw one in my pack, and leave the fly rods and gear at the truck to use after the hunt.

Dry wipes are stupid IMO.

Add a poop shovel.

I don’t know anything about first light gear but I only take the lightest/quick dry pants that Sitka makes. I have started taking two (one on me, one in the pack) to switch out each day. I do the same thing with my base hoody. I sweat about 3x more than the average guy and I’m typically soaked from exertion; letting a pair of pants and shirt air out during the day sure helps keep the funk down. I also bring a ridiculous number of socks as the funk is otherworldly if I re-wear. I’m not recommending you do any of that, other than you shouldn’t need heavy pants, it’s just what I do. I’d probably drop the neck gator too but that’s just me.

I wouldn’t bring the hot hands.

Add the water tablets to your emergency kit.

I bring two (asthma) inhalers. Had one clog/plug up on me once with no back-up.

Regarding the food, it looks fine to me, but please don’t make the mistake of bringing the same things to eat every day. I don’t care how much you think you like something, after having to eat it for 5-8 days you will despise it and you may never eat it again in your life. Mix it up and have variety. It’s more complicated but I’m telling you it’s worth it.

It’s a great list overall.

“What is man without the beasts? If all the beasts were gone, man would die from a great loneliness of spirit.“

Chief Seattle
I have 10x Binos and a harness, I just didn’t include my “on me” section.

The pair of pants I will have on are extremely light. I’m heavily considering not taking the others now as it seems to be everyone’s take they’ll be unneeded

Thanks on the inhaler and food tips.

Marbles

WKR
Classified Approved
100%

EdP

WKR
I've used paper towels for TP when hiking/backpacking for the last 50 years. Good choice. Maybe add a couple of wet wipe single packs for "emergencies."

I don't understand taking wet wipes dried. I would pull one or two for each day from a scent killer pack and put them in a ziplock just as they come out of the package and call it good. No need for soap or wash cloth.

cmogan15

FNG
Packing lists are highly subjective, it's pretty good as is, but here is what I would do.
drop the deodorant/soap
trade out the life straw for aqua tabs
Chamberlin is more puffy than I would want, in weight and in warmth, swap out if you have a lighter one
Wouldn't bring puffy pants unless they were really light weight. It will only be that cold first thing in morning, you have a synthetic bag, can just wrap up in it at the glassing spot.
Drop the flint striker, just bring a lighter for every pocket/compartment
Drop electric tape, you have duct tape
I also wouldn't bring hot hands
Add some type of bow field repair kit- Allens, d-loop material, etc
Food is too personal, something different works for everyone, but I try to be max 2lbs a day
Have fun and good luck!
What type of Aqua Tabs do you use?

Sportsman247

Lil-Rokslider
Seems that you’ve done a pretty good job and have a good list. I do agree with the extra pants coming out but I personally like a little soap to take. Drop the fishing gear. Even though you have it all nailed down, you’ll quickly learn what to take next time. I change up every year and make a note of things to ditch and what to keep. For me, caring a couple of luxury items is sometimes worth the extra weight if you can carry and they may be the reason you tough it out vs giving up and coming down the mountain. The guys on here are full of great knowledge and I pick up better information and tips all the time. Good luck and remember to enjoy the hunt and not let the pressure of killing ruin the trip.

I never saw where you gave any advice. Just that there was lots to change. No tips on what to change.

Oh, yeah, I did say that it was over the top. Some other guys mentioned the things that could be removed and in this case I didn't want to be redundant after them I'll look back through it again and see if there's something that wasn't mentioned. Also, think it through and see if you can identify something that you can easily live without and remove that from the list, too. Good luck on your endeavor!

WoodDuck

FNG
Couple things to consider:

Add leukotape. I tape up the bottoms of my feet at the truck and it typically stays there for 3-4 days. Blisters suck and I am prone to hot spots. Down hilling with a loaded pack kills the balls of my feet. I also use merino liner socks and those stay on over the tape and dry out quickly with hiking socks off. 1 pair of hiking socks on my feet and 1 in the pack.

Drop flagging tape. Use TP for marking blood.

Only 1 pair of pants. I prefer synthetic over merino because it dries quicker and is more durable. First lite corrugates or wrangler outdoor stretch for budget version.

Leave soap and deodorant at the truck. Shave pits and other sensitive areas prior to the trip. It reduces body odor immensely.

These are my preferences. What works for me may not be the best for you.

OP
treeratslayer24

treeratslayer24

Lil-Rokslider
Oh, yeah, I did say that it was over the top. Some other guys mentioned the things that could be removed and in this case I didn't want to be redundant after them I'll look back through it again and see if there's something that wasn't mentioned. Also, think it through and see if you can identify something that you can easily live without and remove that from the list, too. Good luck on your endeavor!

Oh ok. I’m all for cutting weight so I just thought maybe there was some stuff you thought of others haven’t. I’ve been deleting as the ideas come in. I’ve cut a couple pounds already. Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Titan_Bow

WKR
Trying not to just mirror what others have said, but you are going to be at 10 pounds for your sleep system. That is really heavy for a backpack hunt. I would try and find a decent 20 degree bag, that could cut you a pound or so there. If the tent you have is what you have, take it out to your backyard and see if you can set it up rainfly only.
I use an REI Halfdome 2+, which is a decent tent, but fairly heavy, and not something thats routinely touted on the hunting forums. However, I normally take just the rainfly, poles, and an ultralight groundcloth, and in that configuration, its like 2.5 pounds, instead of 4.5 pounds. I would be shooting for 5 to 7 pounds total for my entire sleep setup; tent, bag, pad and pillow.
Also, If it were me, I would get a bino adapter for your tripod and ditch the spotter. Unless you are going into a trophy unit, on a coveted tag, and are targeting a very specific class of animal, you need to be able to spot animals, and determine if its a buck you want to go after. If you are actually watching from a glassing point where you are legitimately planning a stalk from, you are going to be close enough that binos on a tripod are going to be what you want. The spotter is great for that long distance animal spotting, and for determining trophy quality. But in the "Heat" of the moment, binos on a tripod are going to be a more efficient way of picking apart that opposite hillside and pinpointing animals.
Those 2 things alone could shed 5 or 6 pounds off your kit. I would also say, ditch the straw as a filter backup and go with water purification tablets. If your steripen fails, and you are 1500 vertical above or below your reliable water source, with only a drinking straw, you are going to be in a pickle....

OP
treeratslayer24

treeratslayer24

Lil-Rokslider
Trying not to just mirror what others have said, but you are going to be at 10 pounds for your sleep system. That is really heavy for a backpack hunt. I would try and find a decent 20 degree bag, that could cut you a pound or so there. If the tent you have is what you have, take it out to your backyard and see if you can set it up rainfly only.
I use an REI Halfdome 2+, which is a decent tent, but fairly heavy, and not something thats routinely touted on the hunting forums. However, I normally take just the rainfly, poles, and an ultralight groundcloth, and in that configuration, its like 2.5 pounds, instead of 4.5 pounds. I would be shooting for 5 to 7 pounds total for my entire sleep setup; tent, bag, pad and pillow.
Also, If it were me, I would get a bino adapter for your tripod and ditch the spotter. Unless you are going into a trophy unit, on a coveted tag, and are targeting a very specific class of animal, you need to be able to spot animals, and determine if its a buck you want to go after. If you are actually watching from a glassing point where you are legitimately planning a stalk from, you are going to be close enough that binos on a tripod are going to be what you want. The spotter is great for that long distance animal spotting, and for determining trophy quality. But in the "Heat" of the moment, binos on a tripod are going to be a more efficient way of picking apart that opposite hillside and pinpointing animals.
Those 2 things alone could shed 5 or 6 pounds off your kit. I would also say, ditch the straw as a filter backup and go with water purification tablets. If your steripen fails, and you are 1500 vertical above or below your reliable water source, with only a drinking straw, you are going to be in a pickle....

Great tips! I’ll try out the tent tonight. I have a bino adapter arriving in the mail today believe it or not.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk