First Backcountry Long Range Build

ks.snow

FNG
Folks,

I’m putting together my first backcountry hunting long range build and wanted to get others opinion on what I have planned so far. I’m still a bit up in the air on what scope I want, but have 3 solid picks I believe. Any feedback would be appreciated!

Tikka T3X Lite Stainless .300 WSM
XLR Element 3.0 Chassis with Carbon Grip, Carbon Butstock, and collapsible attachment
Grizzly Gunworks Muzzle Brake
Spartan Pro Hunt Bipod
SportsMatch Medium Rings
Accurate 5rd Mag

everything comes in at just under 10lbs

the scopes I’m between are:
Nightforce SHV 4-14x50 F1
Zeiss V4 4-16x44
SWFA SS HD 5-20x50

Right now I’m leaning toward the nightforce.

Last edited:

CO2130

WKR
That sounds like a great setup, I’ve considered doing a similar build but adding a carbon barrel and chambering in something like 7 saum. I’d say either of the nightforce (assume you mean SHV) or the ziess will be great. I’d drop the swfa personally and add the vx-5 as another contender.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
K

ks.snow

FNG
I had thought about going with a proof Carbon barrel, but that will probably come down the road some time. If it did that now I might as well spend the extra money and go with a fully custom build.

I did mean the SHV. Updated the post to show that.

I’m curious about your choice of rings. Why what particular brand? On the scope, I’d also drop the SWFA and add the VX5HD. If I wasn’t going to use a NightForce F1 ATACR (my choice) I’d for sure pick the VX5HD.

Is also would consider a VX5HD. I’ve been dialing mine and yet to see the tracking issues I’ve heard on group think. Lightweight and super bright in low light.

OP
K

ks.snow

FNG
I’m curious about your choice of rings. Why what particular brand? On the scope, I’d also drop the SWFA and add the VX5HD. If I wasn’t going to use a NightForce F1 ATACR (my choice) I’d for sure pick the VX5HD.

Ive read multiple reviews on here (from formidilosus) that they are great rings that fit the Tikka mounting rail. It’s saves some weight mounting directly to the rail instead of adding a picatinny rail.

CO2130

WKR
Ive read multiple reviews on here (from formidilosus) that they are great rings that fit the Tikka mounting rail. It’s saves some weight mounting directly to the rail instead of adding a picatinny rail.

Check out Hawkins precision if you’d like to save weight. I don’t know much about the rings you listed but I’ve had Hawkins on everything from 6 Creedmoor to 300 rum and many other rifles in between and absolutely love them.

mt100gr.

WKR
Folks,

I’m putting together my first backcountry hunting long range build and wanted to get others opinion on what I have planned so far. I’m still a bit up in the air on what scope I want, but have 3 solid picks I believe. Any feedback would be appreciated!

Tikka T3X Lite Stainless .300 WSM
XLR Element 3.0 Chassis with Carbon Grip, Carbon Butstock, and collapsible attachment
Grizzly Gunworks Muzzle Brake
Spartan Pro Hunt Bipod
SportsMatch Medium Rings
Accurate 5rd Mag

everything comes in at just under 10lbs

the scopes I’m between are:
Nightforce SHV 4-14x50 F1
Zeiss V4 4-16x44
SWFA SS HD 5-20x50

Right now I’m leaning toward the nightforce.

I've been toying with dropping one of my Tikkas in a XLR chassis. Do you happen to know the max cartridge length for the SA accurate mags ?

OP
K

ks.snow

FNG
I've been toying with dropping one of my Tikkas in a XLR chassis. Do you happen to know the max cartridge length for the SA accurate mags ?

Looks like max OAL from their website is 2.95"

OP
K

ks.snow

FNG
Check out Hawkins precision if you’d like to save weight. I don’t know much about the rings you listed but I’ve had Hawkins on everything from 6 Creedmoor to 300 rum and many other rifles in between and absolutely love them.

I'll have a look at them. Just browsing through their website it looks promising for sure. Nice to see they have the 35mm option for the Leupold Mark5

Sportsmatch work well. They are cheaper than Hawkins and have a recoil pin which the Hawkins do not.

KS, what weight rifle have you been carrying in the back country up to this point? I ask since a 10 pound rifle is up there for weight.

When hunting the "backcountry" in Alberta, what type of terrain are you referring to? I ask since hunting the plains is vastly different than hunting the Rockies. 10 pounds of rifle (hopefully that includes the scope) is one thing on gently rolling terrain but something completely different when having to climb up and down on the mountains.

I just picked up a couple sets of the Sportsmatch rings for a Tikka and they are very nice! I'll likely be swapping out my Talley's in the future, as these are that much nicer and more stout looking. They shipped from UK fast too and were great to deal with.

I wouldn’t drop the swfa from your list. Small sample but two vx5’s haven’t held POI for us. Both have been sold. Again, small sample but all 4 swfa’s (1 ultralight, 2 3-15’s, and a fixed) have been perfect. Sportsmatch rings have also worked great on 2 T3x’s.

OP
K

ks.snow

FNG
Sportsmatch work well. They are cheaper than Hawkins and have a recoil pin which the Hawkins do not.

given that the Hawkins mount to the top of the tikka and not the rail like the Sportsmatch is the recoil pin really that big of a deal?

OP
K

ks.snow

FNG
KS, what weight rifle have you been carrying in the back country up to this point? I ask since a 10 pound rifle is up there for weight.

When hunting the "backcountry" in Alberta, what type of terrain are you referring to? I ask since hunting the plains is vastly different than hunting the Rockies. 10 pounds of rifle (hopefully that includes the scope) is one thing on gently rolling terrain but something completely different when having to climb up and down on the mountains.

Ive been carrying around a 6-7lbs bow for the past couple of year mainly. I have a .30-06 I’ve lugged around a few times, but it’s fairly heavy as well. With the Kifaru gun bearer or stone glacier quick draw sling I’m not overly worried about the 10 lbs rifle being too heavy.

this won’t be used on any sheep Or goat hunts, but more high country mule deer, elk in the plains. Alberta we hunt more the foothills and early fall we typically get up into the mountains for mule deer. I’d say it’s similar terrain to Snyder’s Colorado hunts.

OP
K

ks.snow

FNG
I wouldn’t drop the swfa from your list. Small sample but two vx5’s haven’t held POI for us. Both have been sold. Again, small sample but all 4 swfa’s (1 ultralight, 2 3-15’s, and a fixed) have been perfect. Sportsmatch rings have also worked great on 2 T3x’s.
I agree. I haven’t never heard anything good about Leupold except for the mark 5, which is a bit out of my current budget. SWFA are defiantly good scopes, but I’d say the nightforce probably takes it in glass quality .

given that the Hawkins mount to the top of the tikka and not the rail like the Sportsmatch is the recoil pin really that big of a deal?

That is a good question.. I couldn’t tell you if the clamping plus recoil pin is stronger than just base screws, but I’ve been led to think it is. Obviously the Hawkins have performed well for folks.

It’s hard to do a lightweight long range build...

I’ve built something similar.

TL3 short action
22in Proof Barrel
AG composites stock
AMG HD scope
Omega suppressor with titanium end cap

With all that I’m sitting at just over 10 lbs. It’s heavy but not hateful. Weight is always a balance, heavier the gun, the easier it’s going to be able to shoot, and that’s an important consideration if you are trying to reach out there a bit. It would be different if I was going for a true lightweight build at shots would be limited to 400 and in. It’s all in what you want the rifle to be able to do.

More important is something like a gun bearer so the weight is distributed on your pack.