First Backcountry Long Range Build

OP
K

ks.snow

FNG
That is a good question.. I couldn’t tell you if the clamping plus recoil pin is stronger than just base screws, but I’ve been led to think it is. Obviously the Hawkins have performed well for folks.

I honestly never thought of it before, but it is a good question. You’re right though, the Hawkins rings have good reviews, so I’m sure either way it will be a good setup.

OP
K

ks.snow

FNG
It’s hard to do a lightweight long range build...

I’ve built something similar.

TL3 short action
22in Proof Barrel
AG composites stock
AMG HD scope
Omega suppressor with titanium end cap

With all that I’m sitting at just over 10 lbs. It’s heavy but not hateful. Weight is always a balance, heavier the gun, the easier it’s going to be able to shoot, and that’s an important consideration if you are trying to reach out there a bit. It would be different if I was going for a true lightweight build at shots would be limited to 400 and in. It’s all in what you want the rifle to be able to do.

More important is something like a gun bearer so the weight is distributed on your pack.

Thanks for the insight. I was pretty much trying to do just what you said with having a balance of something that is lighter, bust can still shoot far, and has the option to be adjustable for other people if I get a different buttstock.

I think carrying it with the gun bearer will be the key to not making it as cumbersome.

Mr. W

FNG
Just wondering how this build ended up. I am putting together a 300 PRC build and probably looking at 11lbs. In part it will also be used for a long range target gun. But I want the ability to take 500-600 yard shots with out much worry. Was also thinking of the SWFA 5-20x50 HD scope.

plentycoupe

Lil-Rokslider
Your scope list as is looks correct to me, vx5 does not fulfill the same function as the three you have listed.

Sent from my LM-G820 using Tapatalk
Would you please expand on your response here? I am new to comparing the functionality of different scopes and would like some clarification on what the VX5 does not do over the others.
I am being totally serious as I learning here.
Thanks!

Would you please expand on your response here? I am new to comparing the functionality of different scopes and would like some clarification on what the VX5 does not do over the others.
I am being totally serious as I learning here.
Thanks!
The three scopes originally listed are built with turrets designed for and proven to be repeatable and reliable for frequent dialing. The vx5 has less robust turrets that can cause issues for some folks when dialed a lot. For frequent long range use, turrets are extremely important.

thewileyone

Lil-Rokslider
I realize that NF is solid as a rock but it's a lot heavier than comparisons. Does it do something the others don't? Or are you just wanting to know that there's no way it won't lose zero? Lots of good scopes are less weight than the NF.

Big Ern

WKR
Spend the extra $$ and put the Proof CF barrel. Well worth it. Or, if you want to save $$, go with a Krieger or Bartlein 2 or 2b. Not great for shooting strings, but fine for hunting.

i still prefer the Proof and run a 20” sendero lite on my 6.5cm.

for optics if trying to stay “lighter” for decent glass, then take a look at March. All of the Alpha glass will have a weight penalty in the 25-30 oz range;

calico pig

Lil-Rokslider
Ive read multiple reviews on here (from formidilosus) that they are great rings that fit the Tikka mounting rail. It’s saves some weight mounting directly to the rail instead of adding a picatinny rail.
I just put a spuhr mount on my Tikka. It's stupid expensive but wow is it nice. Has a recoil lug and mounts straight to the Tikka integrated rail with clamps. I'm sure the other rings do the same job for a fraction of the price but it's worth taking a look. Using the integrated rail and recoil lug was a requirement for me.

calico pig

Lil-Rokslider
Sportsmatch work well. They are cheaper than Hawkins and have a recoil pin which the Hawkins do not.
I would do the Sportsmatch over the Hawkins too based on the recoil pin and the fact that they use the integrated tikka rail. I like Hawkins and have a pair of Pinned hybrids on a 700 clone. But for a tikka I can't see not using the built in rail and lug unless you were using a pic rail to move scopes around.

Shraggs

WKR
Fish eye more function if shape of glass in front. It’s minor issue really.

if you’re going to dial, a lot NF is ready to go. The swfa is also, but no zero stop without the modification. But the turrets are great too. Trijicon doesn’t have zero stop and turrets are capped. So least designed to dial for distance in terms of connivence.

all have ranging reticle for hold over. If that’s important the trijicon has many reticle options including the segment circle in moa, and two bdc type for either .223 or .308 trajectories.