First backpack Buck (Washington State)

Bachto

WKR
This year since I didn’t draw any out of state or in state tags I decided to hunt the WA general rifle season. For those who hunt Washington, you know how much of a crap show this can be. I decided to hunt a wilderness area I had backpacked into with my dad when I was high school and since then it had burned.

I have backpacked hunted before a couple times but was always with my dad or it was archery season elk in Oregon. This would be my first backpack hunt for rifle deer and in October which in the Washington backcountry can be quite interesting with weather.

Me and my childhood (had been friends for 18 years but this was our first hunt together despite both growing up hunting) best friend started the weekend out hiking Friday early morning, the day before season. On the way in we saw a few does and decent deer sign. After about 4 miles in on a trail we decided to climb the almost 1500 feet to the bench I wanted to camp which would only be a quick hike in the morning to a good glassing spot. We did some glassing that night but only saw one deer.

on opening day we glass from dawn to dark and only turned up 4 does. The following morning turned out to be the same story. Being that we both had to work Monday we decided to start the pack out around 10:00ish. On the way out I decided I wanted to take a quick detour to check out a spot we couldn’t see we’ll from our glassing knob to just see what it looked like. Right as we side hilled around approaching the small draw, we started to see a lot of super fresh tracks (it rained Saturday). Sure enough not 5 minutes later I see the butt, ears and antlers of a small buck sneaking over the rise in front of us. I dropped my pack and ran up and got a rest and waited for him to come up the other side of this small draw we were in. Soon I see a doe, and then another, knowing that buck was trailing I waited. Sure enough he popped up and I couldn’t put a 3rd point on him in the short 15 seconds or so I saw him. In Washington most units are a 3 point minimum.

I told my buddy that I didn’t think he was legal but we should follow them to get a better look to make sure he didn’t have a 3rd point I just couldn’t see. We creeped along following their tracks into a deeper and thicker draw. Sure enough I could see the does on the other side. The buck stepped out and looked right at me. It was steep as hell so I’m sure he heard me. Well he looked at me long enough for my to see his legal eye guard and I shot him off my knee at about 120 yards. He tried to follow the does up the draw but was wobbly and I put a second one in the back of his neck and his tumbled down about 50 yards before getting tangled in some buck brush.

The cool part is my buddy got the whole thing and trip on film. which you can watch here:

OnX said it was a 5 mile hike and an 1800 foot elevation loss from where he
lay to the truck. Couldn’t be more stoked for my freezer filler buck in some trophy class country!

enjoy the photos below:

5CF3B9D4-90B7-4D5D-9762-DA454D06FFD5.jpeg

C748E850-4804-4B0D-B4DE-0B4CAD9A84C6.jpeg
FABA2EAD-6C08-44FA-BCAF-48B87E2423F0.jpeg
269C2862-325A-4D74-9F44-826F93DEC714.jpeg

Last edited:
Congratulations on filling your tag in an area that few are willing to venture into due to the amount of physical exertion it takes to be successful. Keep at it and you'll be filling your tag with a big mature buck that makes jaws drop.

You say that your best friend and you both hunted growing up but this was your first hunt together. I'm curious if that is because your best friend's dad is very secretive about his "honey holes" and was cautious about sharing that information with others (see buck in avatar).

OP
Bachto

Bachto

WKR
Congratulations on filling your tag in an area that few are willing to venture into due to the amount of physical exertion it takes to be successful. Keep at it and you'll be filling your tag with a big mature buck that makes jaws drop.

You say that your best friend and you both hunted growing up but this was your first hunt together. I'm curious if that is because your best friend's dad is very secretive about his "honey holes" and was cautious about sharing that information with others (see buck in avatar).

I think you may be on to something there lol

Congrats on the deer and thanks for the write up. I absolutely love that country. Just like in your story things can change in an instant. Thanks for sharing the pictures.