First backpack....first Kifaru....camo/color question...Typhon or Wolf for hunting?

catorres1

Lil-Rokslider
Been looking for my first pack for a few years, but surgery and life got in the way of my first trip west so delayed things. I remembered Aron calling me on a Sunday a few years ago and that stuck with me, but it still did not put their packs into my tax bracket. I was about to pull the trigger on an MR Pintler on sale, when I popped into Kifaru's site and saw the free Rambler. I had budgeted for a couple gun bearers anyway, so all of a sudden, it was not out of the realm of possibility, but I had questions. Could not find answers fast enough so I texted Aron, guiltily. He answered quickly and told me to call him, even though it was Sunday.

Long and short, I have stuff inbound, unfortunately not in time for a class I am taking on the 10th, but should be in time for the Aoudad/Mouflon hunt in 3 or 4 weeks.

There is a question here for y'all, but I just wanted to give credit where credit is due. I am not a rich guy, but this deal and, most of all, Aron's willingness to call a stranger back on Sunday on Memorial Day weekend is absolutely unheard of and is what made this possible for me. I still cannot believe it.

Anyway, the deal with the pack is this....you can ask for a color, but they may or may not have it available, as it is first come first served on orders and they got a ton of them. I talked to a couple people there and they said they hope Aron will setup a process of calling people when their choices are not possible so that they can coordinate colors on frames and pouches etc. with what they are getting. I really hope they do this as I probably won't get to do this again, so I want it the best it can be and dont want to have to pay a bunch of return shipping to get it right etc.

My question concerns certain colors and how it might be seen by deer and elk, but also predators. My understanding (which could be very mistaken) is certain blue hues are particularly visible to animals, but particularly so for predators. I requested highlander, but second was coyote with highlander pockets etc. Assuming this fails, and foliage (my actual favorite but rejected as it was being phased out and was told was most likely already used up), mandrake, multicam etc are not available....I wonder how Typhon and Wolf would work? I wear some open country optifade, and it apparently works, but there is little blue hue in these. From the pix, looks like Typhon and wolf are blue heavy.

Any experience/thoughts on this? Hoping that they do call in the likelyhood that I don't get my first or second choice, I want to come up with backup choices so that the frame etc can all be changed quickly and the order completed asap.

Thanks!

Jordan Budd

Super Moderator
Staff member
Welcome to the club! Kifaru customer service is top notch, great bunch of people.

In terms of colors, I'm about certain that they will have at least coyote brown. But if they don't, I don't see any problems with the gray and typhon. That's actually the colors that I run on my Reckoning. I've honestly never heard the deal with animals and blue hues. I believe that if you get colors that are neutral and dull, it's not going to matter. If your that close to an animal as long as you aren't moving the pack color doesn't matter IMO. I do understand though wanting to get a color combo that you'll like though, that pack can last you forever. Here's a pic of mine.

0d9c77989d5c234a460fa97547f8c2f5.jpg
40c6b973633698f16fe78028127df6d6.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
C

catorres1

Lil-Rokslider
Jordan,

Thanks for the response. That is a great looking setup. Shoot. You are making me seriously second guess my choices!

Obviously, you had no problem with being seen, congratulations!

tttoadman

WKR
I will buy the cheapest bag I can find in the model I want. In hunt mode, my bag is not very visible, or at least very broken up. A grabit and a lid will pretty much overlap in hunt mode, so buy those in the pattern that you think fits your needs the best, and don't worry so much about the rest.

my bag in hunt mode:
brown warrior buried under their...highlander grabit...brown std lid with large patterned belt pouch.
IMG_0945_zpsksgtpzaf.jpg~original

Last edited:
OP
C

catorres1

Lil-Rokslider
That looks great, thanks for putting that up!

At this point, I am trying to come up with the best combo for each color, as I will not get to choose the color of the bag, most likely. I may have a few choices, but don't know what those will be just now. So these pix are very helpful.

Tony Trietch

Part Time Bow Hiker
Staff member
Congrats on the Kifaru purchase, you'll love it. As far as color goes, buy what you like. I like the wolf and have a couple bags and frame in it.
The secret to killing the critters is not to let them see your Kifaru.

OP
C

catorres1

Lil-Rokslider
Yeah, I have read so many posts on colors, coordinating camo, the color of your shoe laces next to the zipper pulls, making sure your underwear matches your pack straps ;)...I too tend to get a little wrapped up in trying to get things perfect...overthinking....that said, I will be sometimes using my pack as a rest when predator hunting, so it will be in front of me at times. I don't think that will matter for deer and Elk unless it is a color that floreses, but I am told it matters for predators (I would not know, I am a newbie on this).

I wish they would do optifade to match my blue suede shoes....