First Backpack Hunt after Total Knee Replacement

The boys on BushcrafterUSA held a "worldwide" group camping weekend starting Friday. Figured that was a good excuse to test my knee with a full pack and honor the victims of September 11th.

Had surgery July 2 and worked really hard on my PT. Doc cleared me to full duty, so I packed up the Exo and headed out to a secluded sea island near Edisto.

55 pound pack including the Fieldcraft, tripod, extra camera gear, binos, pistol, gallon of water and food. Part of my hunt included bushcraft stuff, so also had a new Gransfors forest axe, heavy knife, and Silky to play with.

Thinking about it now, probably not a good idea for a first full backpack "workout" on a 90 degree day with a 79 degree dew point. 79 degree dew point? What's the big deal? Take a minute to look up dew point. :eek::cry:

Tough mile, even with trekking poles, but the knee did great! Once I got to my own private beach it was totally worth it, despite the crazy heat, humidity, and our gigantic mosquitos.
20200911_162859.jpg

Jumped in the water and then set up camp. Big Agnes mesh inner under a Dutchware Gear Dyneema tarp to maximize ventilation.
20200911_163421.jpg
20200911_154809.jpg20200911_164841.jpg

Set up to glass the marsh in the evening. Saw three does running but no buck chasing that I could see. Truthfully I was hoping not to see a buck because I was so hot and tired from the hike in.
20200911_175252.jpg

Rain rolled in off the Dawhoo River, so I escaped under the tarp to wait it out. Caught a nice big bottle of rain water off the new tarp and made super. Once the water boiled I snuffed out the TOAKS stove and used it as a smoker to keep down the mosquitos.
20200911_194036.jpg
20200911_201909.jpg

Goofed off with the Gransfors and Bone Valley Desert Ironwood knife, since it was a bushcraft event.
20200911_161914.jpg

Morning was awesome, cooler and less humidity, though still Carolina-hot. Headed home to rehydrate and recover. The hike back was a bit easier. Overall could not be happier with the new knee. Literally gave me my life back.
20200912_080527~2.jpg

Last edited:
YES! I've been looking forward to reading something like this since my surgeries are coming up. It can be done! Thanx for posting this, I needed it. Now to get to work making my 6 3/4 tikka even lighter.

IDLassie

FNG
Took my first good hike yesterday after a year of knee replacement. Knee did great.
It was the piriformas muscle in the left hip and the flexor muscle in the right hip and told me all about the abuse I was giving them. I've had the piriformas muscle problem since the surgery. So have babied it all summer trying to get it to heal and quiet down. Plus I compressed my ankles this summer doing way too much gardening and bending all wrong. But I did it with no problems.

OP
Mike Islander
Took my first good hike yesterday after a year of knee replacement. Knee did great.
It was the piriformas muscle in the left hip and the flexor muscle in the right hip and told me all about the abuse I was giving them. I've had the piriformas muscle problem since the surgery. So have babied it all summer trying to get it to heal and quiet down. Plus I compressed my ankles this summer doing way too much gardening and bending all wrong. But I did it with no problems.

With 55 pounds I also heard from my pirifirmas on the hike in! My PT has been working hard on my hips, making me balance on one foot on foam with a bent knee. Literally the only time I have felt this muscle was carrying the pack in. On the way out no problem.

To all who have new knees, or who are about to, just listen to your physical therapist and do everything 110%. It will pay off big time.

Glad you are doing so well with the new knee. I am 2.5 yrs post and still having swelling issues. I had a lot of damage to my leg prior to the knee problems so I can't fault the knee surgery.

OP
Mike Islander
Glad you are doing so well with the new knee. I am 2.5 yrs post and still having swelling issues. I had a lot of damage to my leg prior to the knee problems so I can't fault the knee surgery.

My PT says long term swelling is caused by loose tendons; the muscles can never rest, so they get inflamed. If true, I wonder if your Doc could do something to tighten things up?

Backyard

WKR
Good to hear that you're getting out so soon. This is not the norm tho.
I'm 8 months into mine and doing far better than most according to my Doc and PT but not anywhere near the condition that you claim to be in at this point.Again, great job!

OP
Mike Islander
Good to hear that you're getting out so soon. This is not the norm tho.
I'm 8 months into mine and doing far better than most according to my Doc and PT but not anywhere near the condition that you claim to be in at this point.Again, great job!

Claim it? Hopefully I demonstrated it by walking two miles in oppressive heat with a 55 pound pack on my back! :LOL:

Physically our bones are healed within 8 weeks. My trip was at 10 weeks out. Even with my bad knee I stayed in decent athlete health. Been an athlete most of my life, including a "professional" athlete at one time (Navy diver). Bike riding, dirt biking, surfing, I did it all even with my bad knee. I think that helped tremendously. I also did specific knee exercises and stretches for all four years after my first surgery (reconstruction of ACL, MCL, ALS, and meniscus repair). My range of motion is -1 degree extension and about 125 degrees flex. My goal is 130-135 degrees flex, but even with 120 you can do most things in life normally. Pain is minimal, but that could be partially due to numbness caused by cut nerves during two surgeries.

Keep up the PT and here is to a complete recovery!

Last edited: