First backpack hunt, first archery harvest, AZ Coues

OP
Sobrbiker

Sobrbiker

WKR
That's a heckuva iong shot at a tiny animal. Great work. You clearly put in the practice at the range and knew the limits of your body and your equipment, dialed it up and trusted your muscle memory. Great story, love the details. fantastic buck. He will look good on your wall and every time you look at him I hope you will remember the joy of taking him. I do mine and it was half that distance and smaller!
When you are dry aging them at 39 do you have a fan running to circulate air? I have been trying to perfect that and haven't quite yet.
Thank you sir. I’ll cherish the memory for sure.
As for the aging it was just in the fridge, circulation and a real meat locker would have been awesome.
I don’t know if I’d do it again on a Coues buck. It tastes awesome but the cuts are so small to begin with that the percentage of loss trimming is more than I’d like.
100*+ degree temps precludes keeping the hide on, but if I get one in Jan I may try aging the rear quarters with the hide on.

ttmannan

Lil-Rokslider
Thank you sir. I’ll cherish the memory for sure.
As for the aging it was just in the fridge, circulation and a real meat locker would have been awesome.
I don’t know if I’d do it again on a Coues buck. It tastes awesome but the cuts are so small to begin with that the percentage of loss trimming is more than I’d like.
100*+ degree temps precludes keeping the hide on, but if I get one in Jan I may try aging the rear quarters with the hide on.
I used the kegerator fridge on my most recent set of backstraps and later decided I maybe should have put a battery operated fan in there.

Jeffb717

FNG
Awesome story! Thanks for sharing and congratulations on a great buck!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk