First backpack hunt, first archery harvest, AZ Coues

OP
Sobrbiker

Sobrbiker

WKR
Wow. What kind of sight do you have on your Bow that allows you to take 94yd shots? What kinda range do you practice out to regularly?

Montana Black Gold, Ascent Verdict.
The range I’m normally at is a city range in Chandler AZ, but there’s also a few other ranges here that go to 100+
This is the sight after the shot, and the last practice targets I shot the weekend before the hunt (6 arrows cold, one at 100, one at 90, two at 80, one at 90, then one at 100).

Attachments

• B5A558CE-1530-4DDE-856D-98EC87915F60.jpeg
    B5A558CE-1530-4DDE-856D-98EC87915F60.jpeg
    418.5 KB · Views: 48
  • 244E30A0-391B-4F0D-A382-79E3C751E4DB.jpeg
    244E30A0-391B-4F0D-A382-79E3C751E4DB.jpeg
    622.2 KB · Views: 42
  • EABDBB6E-E729-4728-B0FA-A4BBD705ABEF.jpeg
    EABDBB6E-E729-4728-B0FA-A4BBD705ABEF.jpeg
    721 KB · Views: 37
  • 70D7A527-1FC8-49F7-BEF3-1ACC529DF391.jpeg
    70D7A527-1FC8-49F7-BEF3-1ACC529DF391.jpeg
    760.2 KB · Views: 51
  • 55F68AE7-B3D3-44C3-A09D-D37C3F353F6D.jpeg
    55F68AE7-B3D3-44C3-A09D-D37C3F353F6D.jpeg
    229.4 KB · Views: 50

TheGDog

WKR
On your Bow-sight... what is the purpose of that White Ruler on the RightHand side there? It looks like it's possibly for providing additional aiming points at even longer distances. But I can't figure out how it would do so...?

OP
Sobrbiker

Sobrbiker

WKR
On your Bow-sight... what is the purpose of that White Ruler on the RightHand side there? It looks like it's possibly for providing additional aiming points at even longer distances. But I can't figure out how it would do so...?
The “ruler” is a sight tape and corresponds to selected pins on the sight. There is a lockable wheel on the sight that moves the entire sight housing up or down and the orange indicator is my center pin, and the red indicator is my bottom pin.
When “zeroed” and locked down, the orange indicator is on 40 and the red indicator is on 60 and the sight works as a regular 5 pin sight set to 20, 30,40,50,60.

when there’s time to range, the sight is dialed to the exact yardage.

The picture is dialed for the shot I took, and I used the red indicator (bottom pin) which is dialed now for the 94yd distance. As pictured, I could also aim with the center pin and hit 76yds.
I went with the two indicators, and have the orange indicator set for my center pin so if I have time to range a shot between 20 to 75yds I can dial the sight to the exact distance and my middle pin is center of housing, centered in my peep-this is the most precise I can get.
However, my bow is 60# and only 255fps so to get 70-107yds I have to use my bottom pin and the red indicator.
If I dial any further than bottom pin to 107yds, the sight housing contacts the vanes.

Clear as mud?

OP
Sobrbiker

Sobrbiker

WKR
Wonderful story. Wonderful writeup. Wonderful shot!

thank you sir! I put in a lot of practice, and was blessed with perfect conditions or I’d have never attempted that shot.
I’ve been told that luck is found at the intersection of opportunity and preparation....

OP
Sobrbiker

Sobrbiker

WKR
Montana Black Gold, Ascent Verdict, with the 2” housing (for better gaps with my slower bow-standard are 1.75”). S&S Archery is a great hookup, and will customize the MBG’s (pin color, size, and more).

jkdrgn

Lil-Rokslider
And for anybody fussing about the distance of this shot. A coues buck can flinch, and wheel at the shot, causing a poor hit, even if you’re under 20 yards from him. Reading the body language of a deer, prior to the shot, is more important than distance. It’s archery hunting, there’s always the opportunity for something to go wrong while the arrow is in the air. If we wanted to eliminate every risk of wounding, we wouldn’t archery hunt, or hunt at all for that matter. You do you, and let others do the same.

OP
Sobrbiker

Sobrbiker

WKR
jkdrgn-absolutely.
In fact, I was discussing this with a local archery hunter with a great record of killing big Coues bucks and he told me that based on experience, his preferred distance is 50+ yds as earlier in his career with Coues he had more movement by the animal at the shot inside 40yds cause poor outcomes than beyond 50.

This buck was aware of me, but seemed more casually interested than “on alert”, once he dropped his head never moved until the arrow was through him...

OP
Sobrbiker

Sobrbiker

WKR
wow.
I’m impressed you cared enough to research and find an article concerning string jump in the situation of eastern whitetails being ambushed in typical tree stand hunting. Too bad it has little correlation to the situation of my shot in question.
Had the buck in question jumped the string, with my 255fps launch speed he would have been out of sight by the time the arrow got there, and in no danger at all. Especially since my noisy Blazer vanes were probably hailing the flight of the incoming projectile like the siren on a divebombing Stuka.

Dude, I appreciate your point but your starting to be kind of a creepy stalker. The great article speaks of stopping bucks with a grunt at 30yds vs walking shots. The article quoted has nothing to do with the shot I took, it’s comparing apples to mangoes.
This buck watched me drop my gear, start my Jeep, drink a bunch of water, shut off my Jeep, grab my gear, grab my bow, all without being alarmed in the slightest.
I’m no Dr Doolittle, but if I could read minds I’d say he was standing there gloating that I was leaving, and was way too comfortable thinking he was safe.

Go find a different bowl of wheaties to pee in.

jkdrgn

Lil-Rokslider
“Bottom line is the odds of a poor hit are directly proportional to distance.”, well in that case, I hope you only shoot deer at less than arrow length away, otherwise, you probably shouldn’t be shooting. Odds are bad you know!

HuntWyld

WKR
^^ Dude you come on here as a “junior member” and start bashing somebody who just wants to share his successful hunt with fellow outdoorsmen? Poor form, this is not the place for that.

OP Congratulations on your successful hunt. It looks like you did a lot of homework and then a lot of hard work, for a well-earned buck.

That said, I personally find that posting the shot distance, for any weapon, should be irrelevant. Our goal as hunters is to take ethical shots to ensure quick, humane kills. Clearly you have developed a system and the skill to take a long shot, but not everyone will. For that reason alone, I really wish people would refrain from posting the distance (particularly long distance) of their shots so as not to encourage those without the skill or the equipment, to do the same.

It should be enough that the result was a clean kill and successful hunt. Folks who feel the need to post the shot distance, I have to imagine, are unsatisfied with just a successful hunt and need something more out of it.

BTW, the US Archery Team is clearly missing a member right now. Give it some thought (seriously). Reo Wilde and Braden Gellentien only shoot 50 meters at world championship events.

Last edited:
How so? I need to have a certain number of posts before I can express an opinion?

The normalization/rationalization of launching arrows/bullets at extended range is a problem in hunting today - full stop. If someone talks up an extremely long range shot, there should be some “push back”.

I’ve clearly offended a few sensibilities and as such will depart the thread.
Don't let it bother you. It shouldn't matter how many posts someone has so long as they are making a valid point. If someone disagrees with your point, then that's fair game. But bringing up a post count is irrelevant.

I was reluctant to say anything on the thread because it typically is bad form to criticize someone who is posting about something they are proud of. The only reason I posted was to point out that it shouldn't matter how far the shot was. That isn't the point of hunting. However it is relevant to target archery, which is why I suggest the OP might find some satisfaction from competition.

Last edited:
OP
Sobrbiker

Sobrbiker

WKR
Again, wow....and I’m pretty bummed that naysayers have derailed this thread.

Yes I put in the effort, yes I practiced my ass off, yes I pounded the desert for 8 days during the hottest August on record, yes when my pin was on that buck I was thanking god for the perfect conditions, yes I couldn’t believe that buck just stood there showing no signs of alarm whatever, and most importantly-yes had there been anything that felt “off” I would have never released that arrow.

Luck is where opportunity and preparation meet, and in that sense the shot was lucky as all get out, and I consider myself blessed that that animal expired in less than 100ft from where he was hit (paced of by a grade checker, not chained off w/certified chains and scales so I may be off a few feet), but the preparation and work went in, the opportunity availed itself and I was able to capitalize on it and for that I am truly grateful.

I do not advocate long range hunting (even though I was shooting PRS matches before there was a PRS) and that’s not what my post was about.

I put in the work and took advantage of an opportunity that was presented with an absolutely perfect outcome. The stars aligned, god smiled down on me, however you want to look at it-it happened and I’m ecstatic as all get out.
I shared my story here on this forum, because here on this forum, people with experience hunting the open public desert taught me from sharing their experience that if one wants to harvest a deer in the open desert you need to expand what your perception and practice of bowhunting range is.

I got it done, and no amount of keyboard questioning of my ethics is going to change that. Do I expect to be able to go out and replicate those condition and ever be able to replicate that shot?-oh hell no!! Am I damned proud of this deer and that shot?-you bet your ass I am.

So it may not be proper form, but I’m going to say it anyway-anybody that wants to be condescending or high and mighty about their disdain for what I did can go eat a bag of dicks.

Comments like this are sideways bullshit:
The only reason I posted was to point out that it shouldn't matter how far the shot was. That isn't the point of hunting. However it is relevant to target archery, which is why I suggest the OP might find some satisfaction from competition.

You seem like an alright guy on the posts I’ve seen regarding your “help me with what rifle to take on a cow elk hunt” and “how to deal with shots over 200yds with a 100yd zero”, but after perusing your prolific posts going on and on with your opinions on other people’s posts might I suggest you go get a job as a talking head on CNN-it may better satiate you’re desire for anonymous pontificating.
After you come out to the desert and get yourself a respectable age class Coues buck on a solo public land hunt with stick and string I may value your opinion more, but right now I could care less.

I’ve called out good friends myself for putting 1000+yd kills on social media, because I feel that does promote people with no business shooting beyond 200yds at a living animal to believe it’s easy, so I hate to break it to you that I’m not the enemy on the topic of fools attempting things they have no business doing. But when I did so I did it privately.

I shared my story here because it’s not IG, and I thought I made clear that it was extraordinary circumstance to have level ground, time to be sure my form was top notch, and the perfect environmental conditions for the attempt before I chose to take it.

I think I’ll go grill the best tasting venison backstrap I’ve had (second to my rifle Coues from ‘18 which I harvested at 170yds during rifle season), while I hang my head in shame I let the ethos patrol here on Rokslide down by publicly sharing my excitement for getting it done....

So it may not be proper form, but I’m going to say it anyway-anybody that wants to be condescending or high and mighty about their disdain for what I did can go eat a bag of dicks.

classy response.

You might have killed the deer privately, but you chose to share the shot distance publicly which is why you find yourself being criticized. I didn't criticize you for the shot distance. I only asked why it mattered that you shared it. So I'm open to hearing why/how the shot distance mattered if you care to share.

After you come out to the desert and get yourself a respectable age class Coues buck on a solo public land hunt with stick and string I may value your opinion more, but right now I could care less.

I think you might be surprised to find out what I've done with a bow and arrow in my past.

I still think you need to challenge Reo or Braden. 94 yard centerpunch shots like that with bifocals and a non-magnified sight rack and hunting setup is pretty superhuman. That's all I'm sayin'

Last edited:

Ingo

Lil-Rokslider
Good for you for having a successful hunt and harvesting a nice buck - I'm legitimately pleased for you. But I've reached my threshold of stories about long range bowhunting (and long range hunting in general). Over the past week I've watched a video of a hunter attempting a 100 meter shot at a bedded Dall sheep (he missed by a couple feet) and professing shock that his successful range experience didn't translate, seen far too many Instagram photos of "clean hits" of long range mule deer stalks that were clearly gut shot, etc. Much of this is simply ego stroking - otherwise why mention the range of the shot?

In conversation with friends who guide in British Columbia and the Yukon they recount many stories of hunters who show up with "long range rifle systems" and speak of being able to ring steel out to 600, 800, 1000 meters, etc. These same hunters almost never can live up to those standards in mountain conditions on actual game animals - but they'll try, too frequently resulting in chasing down wounded game.

Physics doesn't lie. Arrows shed both energy and speed rapidly and no amount of precision range shooting at foam targets changes that. Your margin for error/bad luck shrinks to near zero as ranges extend. If everything goes well, great. But too frequently the animal moves, the wind gusts, etc. and it doesn't.

Things can go very badly on a more "regulation" range shot too - not denying that.

Ethics are individual and to each their own - but I'm not buying into the promotion of long range shooting. Long range shooting is hunting's version of Russian Roulette - irrespective of how "dead on" you or anyone else may be at the range.

QUOTE="Sobrbiker, post: 1816276, member: 38304"]
wow.
I’m impressed you cared enough to research and find an article concerning string jump in the situation of eastern whitetails being ambushed in typical tree stand hunting. Too bad it has little correlation to the situation of my shot in question.
Had the buck in question jumped the string, with my 255fps launch speed he would have been out of sight by the time the arrow got there, and in no danger at all. Especially since my noisy Blazer vanes were probably hailing the flight of the incoming projectile like the siren on a divebombing Stuka.

Dude, I appreciate your point but your starting to be kind of a creepy stalker. The great article speaks of stopping bucks with a grunt at 30yds vs walking shots. The article quoted has nothing to do with the shot I took, it’s comparing apples to mangoes.
This buck watched me drop my gear, start my Jeep, drink a bunch of water, shut off my Jeep, grab my gear, grab my bow, all without being alarmed in the slightest.
I’m no Dr Doolittle, but if I could read minds I’d say he was standing there gloating that I was leaving, and was way too comfortable thinking he was safe.

Go find a different bowl of wheaties to pee in.

No one cares what you think, bruh.

I wouldn't take that shot either but, just so you know, you appear to be the JA in this discussion.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

OP
Sobrbiker

Sobrbiker

WKR
classy response.

I still think you need to challenge Reo or Braden. 94 yard centerpunch shots like that with bifocals and a non-magnified sight rack and hunting setup is pretty superhuman. That's all I'm sayin'

Never claimed to be classy, however it was toned down for public consumption (the “biker” part of my screen name)

As to “superhuman” and that I should “challenge Reo”, I have two comments:
A) I do consider it as well as anything else positive in my life a “grace of god” thing (the “sobr” part of my screen name
B) your comment smacks an awful lot of accusing me of lying about the distance. Trust me-I’m ok enough in my own skin that I don’t need to lie about such matters. I start lying to you, then I start lying to me and that’s not worth it (you may be surprised by some of the things in my past)

Not giving a fk about what people think of me is very freeing...but I do try to be a better man today than yesterday.

Still gonna be proud as hell of that adventure regardless of your thoughts on it.

Don't think for a moment you're lying about the distance. You're reading me wrong. I know very well what's possible with a skilled archer and well tuned bow.

You can assume what I'm thinking, but you don't know. I was quite serious. If you have the nerve and skill to make that shot, then you should consider competition. I know plenty who compete, who would not.

Still curious why it was important to you to include the distance however. I'm always curious when I see that - about what the motivation is. I figure it should be enough on a hunting forum, that the game was bagged quickly and ethically.