First backpack hunt, first archery harvest, AZ Coues

In fairness to Sobrbiker, this thread probably wasn't the best place to express my increasing frustration with the volume of long range archery shooting (much of it very poor) I've seen photos/video of this fall. It's been a miserable week all around and this thread caught me at the wrong time. I'm still no proponent of 94 yard shots, but I've deleted my posts in the thread and I'll leave it at that.

It's a great buck and will look good on the wall and taste good on the BBQ.

Last edited:
In fairness to Sobrbiker, this thread probably wasn't the best place to express my increasing frustration with the volume of long range archery shooting (much of it very poor) I've seen photos/video of this fall. It's been a miserable week all around and this thread caught me at the wrong time. I'm still no proponent of 94 yard shots, but I've deleted my posts in the thread and I'll leave it at that.

It's a great buck and will look good on the wall and taste good on the BBQ.
Meh, it was his choice to put the 94 yards out there. I guess he thought that was relevant for some reason.

Cbrick

FNG
Awesome write up. On my list of hunts in the near future for sure. Great shot!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JonnyB

WKR
beautiful buck man! There’s no better feeling than when hard work and preparation pay off. I’m looking to get my wife and I our first coues here in a few months and we have been wearing out my targets. I have taken 3 animals over 60 yards (caribou at 68 and 74, and the mule doe in my profile at 65). Got tons of shit for it, mostly from guys that shoot one box of ammo a year “just to make sure it’s still zeroed” then take it hunting.

JonnyB

WKR
“I went on a hunt for **** days. Hiked in **** miles with a **** pack. Spotted **** animals and shot a **** buck. Hooray”

See how boring that sounds. That’s exactly how it would be if you omitted details pertaining to the hunt. Can’t speak for OP, but I personally include shot distance because I vividly recount my entire trip in a little RITR notepad. I go so far as to include wind direction/speed, time of day, etc.

Hopefully none of you who are upset by his disclosure of the shot distance talk about the size of the animals you kill. It’s immaterial and it only matters that they were killed quickly and ethically.

Last edited:
Hopefully none of you who are upset by his disclosure of the shot distance talk about the size of the animals you harvest. It’s immaterial and it only matters that they were killed quickly and ethically.

Do you have a 94-yard pin on your bow?

I knew a guy, had 1500ac and loved to hunt, but wasn't too good at it. He'd loose his shit and crank some dumb shots.
So when he talked about big ol bucks he'd seen on his spread, people would ask, "Was he limping off his good front foot, or just hopping off the rear?"

OP
Sobrbiker

Sobrbiker

WKR
I knew a guy, had 1500ac and loved to hunt, but wasn't too good at it. He'd loose his shit and crank some dumb shots.
So when he talked about big ol bucks he'd seen on his spread, people would ask, "Was he limping off his good front foot, or just hopping off the rear?"
So rifle hunters should go to non adjustable iron sights because some can’t grasp ballistics and dial for the proper range?

I wonder if people gave guys that could use vernier sights on their Sharps rifles as much crap 150yrs ago as I’ve been surprised to see people express here about extending their effective range...

So rifle hunters should go to non adjustable iron sights because some can’t grasp ballistics and dial for the proper range?

I wonder if people gave guys that could use vernier sights on their Sharps rifles as much crap 150yrs ago as I’ve been surprised to see people express here about extending their effective range...

Pretty sure he blew most of their legs off with a moa rifle and nice scope during rifle seasons. He always had one story or another about shooting deer he was unable to recover.

OP
Sobrbiker

Sobrbiker

WKR
No record Coues for sure but he’s P&Y eligible at 86 3/8”.
I’m just ecstatic to have solid representative for my first archery harvest!

Attachments

• 8243F7A2-5A24-4B7B-8EDA-CDA882528FE0.jpeg
    8243F7A2-5A24-4B7B-8EDA-CDA882528FE0.jpeg
    314.7 KB · Views: 14
I just picked up a bow again here in AZ. I used to bow hunt in IL but sort of got overwhelmed with all there was to do out here in AZ when i moved a few years ago. A 94 yd kill shot sounds insane. Congratulations! Mount that guy!

ELKhunter60

Lil-Rokslider
From one 53 year old to another - impressive sir! That's a long a-- shot, but you proved you were capable of taking it. 70 is about the best I can muster and I've been hunting with a bow for 43 years.

ttmannan

Lil-Rokslider
That's a heckuva iong shot at a tiny animal. Great work. You clearly put in the practice at the range and knew the limits of your body and your equipment, dialed it up and trusted your muscle memory. Great story, love the details. fantastic buck. He will look good on your wall and every time you look at him I hope you will remember the joy of taking him. I do mine and it was half that distance and smaller!
When you are dry aging them at 39 do you have a fan running to circulate air? I have been trying to perfect that and haven't quite yet.