first backpack hunt.

Well, I've hunted allmy life practically. However I've added a little twist to it and took the leap this deer season. I have started to back pack in and hunt out of a base camp back in the woods. I just wanted to add a bit to the hunt and get back off the beaten path a bit to basically get away from hunting pressure. So the sunday before thanksgiving I put alot of planning into motion. I went up to the Pisgah National forest out side of Morganton NC. It started out a bit rough however. Friday I started feeling a bit puny and by Sunday I felt downright crappy. However I sucked it up and headed out to the mountains. When I got there the road I was going to go up and park and spent all my time scouting was closed. I would have been a 5 mile hike just to get to the parking spot and then another 2-2.5 miles to my camp spot I picked out. I was NOT happy. However I had picked a few other spots as a backup just incase. Although I hadn't actually been to them it was more of a pick this spot that looks good terrain wise on a topo map. Well after everything was said and done it worked out pretty well. I parked and found a spot to set up camp about half a mile from the truck. It was goregous! Not to mention the way I was feeling I wasn't really relishing the idea of a 2-2.5 mile hike with a 60 pound pack. So I set up camp and headed out to scout around a bit and found my morning spot. Headed back and made supper then crashed for a cold night.

My view out the front of my tent.

Day 1. I got up at 0530 and man was it tough to get out of a warm sleeping bag. It was right at 20 degrees. I slept pretty decent. I wasn't ever really cold except for my feet a couple of time. Which I corrected the next 2 nights . However I would sleep for an hour or s and wake up because my pad left a bit to be desired. I'll spend some money for a better pad next time. Anyway I headed out in the dark and had to cross the creek. That required a strip down to bare feet and cross. Man is that water cold at 530 in the morning! It did make sure I was awake though. I got to my spot and sat until about 1045 or so. That's about all I can stand and then I need to move. I walked easyuntil about 2 and found a nice place to eat lunch.

Looking downstream at my lunch spot.
Then I eased back to camp to handle some camp chores. Collect fire wood and such to make sure I didn't need to do it in the dark when I got back. Then went back out and hunted till dark. No deer but alot of really pretty country.
Day 2 was about the same routine but with a better night sleep and feeling on the upswing.
Day 3 I decided to head in a different direction. I didn't want to cross that cooooollld creek again. I hunted standing and moving slow until about 2. In that time I found alot of more pretty woods and saw 4 turkeys. That pretty much stopped my deer hunt because I instantl went into spring gobbler planning mode in my head andstarted more exploring and planning for spring. Sometimes ADHD sucks.

Anyway that was just a quick run down of my new thing. I'm already planning to go back up there in the spring. I'll take my turkey gun and a fly rod. Hunt birds in the morning, trout fish in the afternoon then hunt birds again till dark. Now I need to start practicing with my fly rod.

OP
fort fireman
Sorry , I had a couple pics in that but they didn't show up. I'll try later.

OP
fort fireman

My morning spot. I just found this spot out in the middle of nowhere so I thought I'd spend time watching it and some of the draws leading to it.

One of those draws. Then the evenng I headed up higher to watch the draw into that field. No joy but still enjoyable.

woods89

WKR
Kinda cool to see someone else backpack hunting whitetails outside of the west! Looks like fun!

And it's a awesome way to hunt turkeys too!