First backpack trip

Well I took my first backpack trip in the Chattahoochee National Forest in NW Georgia. I only hiked in 4 miles and camped and coyote hunted. It was tougher than I thought it would be but it was definitely an adventure. Right before dark there was a small sedan coming up the trail, who knows how it even got on the trail. Two dope heads got out and they were trying to turn around and I told the lady to back up into an opening but she started cussing and tried it her way. In doing so she blew out two tires and they had to spend the night in their car. I’m not sure whatever happened with them but I do know one of them left the other this morning and walked out. I didn’t see any coyotes but it was definitely a trip to remember!!

bsnedeker

WKR
Lol, great story! Congrats on your first successful BPing trip! Best way to learn is by doing!

OP
Bill_Crooks
Lol, great story! Congrats on your first successful BPing trip! Best way to learn is by doing!
Definitely have a lot to learn. I need to lighten my tent a bag for sure pack weighed 58 lbs. not a big deal for just camping but hunting would be another story.

OldGrayJB

WKR
A sick part of me was happy to read about the blown tires... stupidity should be painful. :ROFLMAO: At least it was memorable.

Were you calling?
Did you hear any coyotes?

jaypope

Lil-Rokslider
Which pack do you have? Tent? Sleeping bag? What else did you have in your pack? I’m curious how you got 58 pounds in your pack for an overnighter.

bsnedeker

WKR
Optimizing the weight in your pack is a never-ending quest once you start doing this on the regular.

Might just be the best 1st backpack trip story I’ve ever heard. Glad you had fun and look forward to going back. Start reading, weighing and analyzing and you’ll get that pack weight under control soon.

Marble

WKR
So 58 including his AR and ammo. There is room for improvement for sure.

Couple years ago I spent some extra money on my pad,bag and tent and lost 10 pounds

Great story and congratulations on your first backpack trip! You’ll learn a little every time you go out and with each trip you’ll narrow down what you need and what you don’t. When you get home from a trip take out everything in your pack and in one pile put everything you used and in another pile put everything you didn’t and start whittling down your kit from there. You’d be surprised at how little you really need for 1-3 days.

OP
Bill_Crooks
A sick part of me was happy to read about the blown tires... stupidity should be painful. :ROFLMAO: At least it was memorable.

Were you calling?
Did you hear any coyotes?
I was calling but the only yore I seen was on the trail out.

OP
Bill_Crooks
Which pack do you have? Tent? Sleeping bag? What else did you have in your pack? I’m curious how you got 58 pounds in your pack for an overnighter.
I’ve got a mystery ranch Marshall pack, a cheaper 4 season 2 man tent, and a Coleman bag. I do have a lighter bag but it wasn’t cold enough for it. I had 3 mountain house meals, backpacking cook set and small stove with one bottle of gas, first aid, fleece jacket. Water filter, TP, and a knife, my AR and one 30 rd clip. And a small hatchet.

Good for you getting outside! Every time you go you’ll learn something. What you need and You don’t. I like to look at my packing list before and after. I highlight stuff that goes unused for a couple trips so I can leave it out.

OP
Bill_Crooks
I’ve got a mystery ranch Marshall pack, a cheaper 4 season 2 man tent, and a Coleman bag. I do have a lighter bag but it wasn’t cold enough for it. I had 3 mountain house meals, backpacking cook set and small stove with one bottle of gas, first aid, fleece jacket. Water filter, TP, and a knife, my AR and one 30 rd clip. And a small hatchet.
I had a few other odds and end things most of which will be removed.

While you’re assembling a lighter kit, just bring the lighter weight sleeping bag and use it as a quilt. It’ll save some weight instantly with no expense.

jaypope

Lil-Rokslider

Your list doesn’t look all that bad. I guess the tent & bag are on the heavy side. Are you including the weight of the AR, clip & ammo in the 58#?

Soj51hopeful

Lil-Rokslider
Just a guess but I’m assuming that 4 season 2 person tent was way over kill. Unless you plan on winter camping get into a 3 season tent. That will shave weight and cost less.

Your list doesn’t look all that bad. I guess the tent & bag are on the heavy side. Are you including the weight of the AR, clip & ammo in the 58#?

Yea he is including those in weight. I was thinking the same thing though, his kit ain’t that bad. The pack is heavy though. That’s a hell of a pack for one day. It is a nice pack though. I actually wonder myself how much my pack weighs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk