First backpack trip

OP
Bill_Crooks
Your list doesn’t look all that bad. I guess the tent & bag are on the heavy side. Are you including the weight of the AR, clip & ammo in the 58#?
Yes that was total weight on my bathroom scale.

OP
Bill_Crooks
Yea he is including those in weight. I was thinking the same thing though, his kit ain’t that bad. The pack is heavy though. That’s a hell of a pack for one day. It is a nice pack though. I actually wonder myself how much my pack weighs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I bought the pack for wilderness black bear 7-10 day trips. This trip was mainly to test all my gear some of which I found to be unnecessary. I also plan to do an Idaho Elk trip in the next year or two.

I bought the pack for wilderness black bear 7-10 day trips. This trip was mainly to test all my gear some of which I found to be unnecessary. I also plan to do an Idaho Elk trip in the next year or two.

I got the Beartooth 80 for similar reasoning. My trips will be 3-4 days mostly but I am dual purposing it for family camping trips. I have a 4 yr old so she can’t carry everything she needs in her pack so I have extra room for some extra family gear.

I may get a Pintler bag only for day or smaller trips.

OP
Bill_Crooks
I got the Beartooth 80 for similar reasoning. My trips will be 3-4 days mostly but I am dual purposing it for family camping trips. I have a 4 yr old so she can’t carry everything she needs in her pack so I have extra room for some extra family gear.

I definitely have some weight issues to work out and also some physical training to do. I am in pretty good shape but I worked muscles I haven’t used since being in the military. lol

I definitely have some weight issues to work out and also some physical training to do. I am in pretty good shape but I worked muscles I haven’t used since being in the military. lol

Hell I have worked muscles I’ve never worked in the military lol. I know what you mean.

Do you have reliable water sources where you hunt to be able to filter all your water or did you have to carry your water in. I carry a filter just in case but I usually have to carry all my water in and that adds a lot of weight.

OP
Bill_Crooks
Do you have reliable water sources where you hunt to be able to filter all your water or did you have to carry your water in. I carry a filter just in case but I usually have to carry all my water in and that adds a lot of weight.
I camped at a head of a natural spring creek. You could probably drink it straight from the source but I’m not gunna chance it. I did have a liter in my bladder for the hike in though.

Kimber Montana would save you at least 5 pounds over the AR. Getting more than 1 shot at a yote in the GA woods is highly unlikely.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

OldGrayJB

WKR
As you start upgrading, check out Blue Sky Outfitters. They carry MSR, Marmot, Nemo ect. I've been in their Cartersville store. It's a good place to get your hands on some good quality camping gear and I think they have a store near you.

OP
Bill_Crooks
Kimber Montana would save you at least 5 pounds over the AR. Getting more than 1 shot at a yote in the GA woods is highly unlikely.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
I’ve got a single shot Thomson center 6.8SPC with a 16” barrel that will be going next time. It’s only about 2 lbs maybe 3