First Bear hunt

Looking to do a spring bear hunt in Montana. I was planning on going with a buddy but he had to back out. It would be nice to have someone else along to share the experience. If anyone else is looking for a hunting buddy send me a message. This would be my first western big game hunt. I've been hunting all my life from running rabbit dogs, squirrel, deer and ducks. I've been running every other day to get into better shape for the hunt. If anyone has any other exercises that they could recommend for the mountains I would appreciate any information. I'm a flatlanders from south Louisiana.

Hooverfb

Lil-Rokslider
You planning to do diy on public land? I've been looking at doing this hunt or one in california. I'm from texas. Have not hunted out west, did climb some canyons for mulies though. I'll admit I'm not as experienced as a hunter, dad never was interested, so been learning and going the last few years.

OP
W
Yes I'm looking at a doing diy on public over the counter tag. My father like yours didnt like hunting. I was lucky and my older brothers and uncles enjoyed hunting so I tagged along with them. When were you thinking of doing your hunt?

Depending on the style of hunting you'll be doing and access, put heavy stuff in the pack you'll be using and practice carrying it on uneven terrain in the boots you'll be using. I won't say I've never had to do a quick sprint on the mountain but I spend a lot more time going up and down hills with a heavy pack on, usually over a whole lot of deadfall...the little stabilizer muscles in your knees will really thank you if you spend some time prepping them in advance.

rclouse79

WKR
I like hunting by myself as well as with a buddy, although when it comes to bears I like having somebody else along for sure. Good luck!

skierhs

WKR
I live in Montana, if you have any questions or concerns feel free to reach out to me. Depending on my schedule I don’t mind tagging along and helping out.

skierhs

WKR
Thanks for all positive feedback and skiers I might take you up on your offer.
It’s a great hunt, my buddies and I love spring bear in Montana. If we’re not in Idaho doing a spring bear hunt then we’re in our home state doing a spring bear hunt haha

Hooverfb

Lil-Rokslider
I was thinking somewhere between late april/early may, depending on how the spring looks for roads/snow in general.

OP
W
That's what I was thinking also. I work in the oilfield so getting time off isn't a problem.

skierhs

WKR
I was thinking somewhere between late april/early may, depending on how the spring looks for roads/snow in general.
Late April, depending on where in the state, could be pretty early. We normally don’t really start getting after them till early/mid May. If we don’t get a big snow and have it stay cold it could be possible but unlikely.

Hooverfb

Lil-Rokslider
Late April, depending on where in the state, could be pretty early. We normally don’t really start getting after them till early/mid May. If we don’t get a big snow and have it stay cold it could be possible but unlikely.
Thanks for the tip. I wasn't sure how long the window of opportunity looks like once things do start to green up, didnt want to miss that.

skierhs

WKR
Thanks for the tip. I wasn't sure how long the window of opportunity looks like once things do start to green up, didnt want to miss that.
Once March/April hits you’ll be able to get an idea of when the snow will melt off and what access will be able to look like. It’s a crap shoot a lot of the times I’m guessing exactly you can get into certain spots.

OP
W
Once March/April hits you’ll be able to get an idea of when the snow will melt off and what access will be able to look like. It’s a crap shoot a lot of the times I’m guessing exactly you can get into certain spots.
That's what I was thinking. I'm going to leave my vacation time open until I can find out when the snow has melted enough to get into the unit. I was thinking unit 341. Do any of yall have any advise for this unit? If not I understand.

skierhs

WKR
Bring bear spray even if your using a rifle, Lots of griz in that area. I saw 7 in one day there while on a hunt in the fall. It's a beatiful unit and a ton of fun though.