First bear hunt

Deano0686

Lil-Rokslider
Good morning all, so I have a son who is dead set on his first big game hunt being black bear, so I’m trying to pre plan here. Would Maine be the state I should be looking at for baited hunts? Or is there a better state? I would love any recommendations for states and guide services. Thanks in advance!

Go to Canada, a way better trip and fishing. Spring hunts over bait are perfect for a first baited bear hunt. Depending where you live in the US go to Alberts, Manitoba, Saskatchewan etc.

Many reputable outfitters run good operations. Very affordable relatively speaking. Some areas allow 2 bears so success rate should be 100% it will be better than a US based hunt- way more bears!

OP
Deano0686

Deano0686

Lil-Rokslider
Go to Canada, a way better trip and fishing. Spring hunts over bait are perfect for a first baited bear hunt. Depending where you live in the US go to Alberts, Manitoba, Saskatchewan etc.

Many reputable outfitters run good operations. Very affordable relatively speaking. Some areas allow 2 bears so success rate should be 100% it will be better than a US based hunt- way more bears!
Thank you for that info. I’ll check it out

Blind Squirrel

Lil-Rokslider
Good morning all, so I have a son who is dead set on his first big game hunt being black bear, so I’m trying to pre plan here. Would Maine be the state I should be looking at for baited hunts? Or is there a better state? I would love any recommendations for states and guide services. Thanks in advance!
Pacific Bear Outfitters in BC, Canada. Easy travel. Only a couple hours from Vancouver airport. Very high success rates. Special rates for youth hunters. PM me if you want more details. I’ve been with them twice.

Canada all the way if you're looking for a springtime hunt over bait and you also have some world class fishing at the same time.
If you're looking for a fall hunt over bait in the US I would look into Northwest Minnesota

hoodb

FNG
Hunting for black bears in Maine with bait is a good idea. You can also look into Alaska, Idaho. Good luck with your planning!

Depending on the age, dedication and fitness levels of your son...

(Consider the following just a rough guide)

Bait
Pro: Low effort, multiple bears, easy packet, lower cost
Con: Not overly valuable to applying lessons learned to other hunting methods and targets, see same handful (relative) of bears over and over, same minimal view(s) every single day

Spot and Stalk
Pro: Learning applies to all type of hunts and targets (glassing, tracking, general Q/A with guide), see lots of country, potential to see new bears
Con: Higher equipment costs, potential for fewer bears, potential for extreme physical exertion, potential for major pack out, higher cost

Hounds
Pro: Increase odds of finding bears, ability to pass on bears, high excitement, general Q/A with guide, see lots of country
Con: Potentially for extreme physical exertion, may include riding horses/mules in nasty country, even higher cost

Ideally you'd get a mix of hounds in the AM and spot/stalk in the PM. Can learn a ton about glassing, tracking, food sources and general availability throughout the year, other animals, field judging, etc.

BigMick93

FNG
Pacific Bear Outfitters in BC, Canada. Easy travel. Only a couple hours from Vancouver airport. Very high success rates. Special rates for youth hunters. PM me if you want more details. I’ve been with them twice.
Thanks for this info, I've been looking for a Canada bear hunt! I'd lean on driving there though. Planes and gear don't sit well with me. Too complex and too much stress!

Blind Squirrel

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks for this info, I've been looking for a Canada bear hunt! I'd lean on driving there though. Planes and gear don't sit well with me. Too complex and too much stress!
100% get that if you've got the time to drive. My brother drove when he went, it's not far North of the border. From where I live, it was a 3 day drive each way, or about 4 hours of air time.
Another good thing about this group is the easy logistics. About all commercial airlines fly to Vancouver, and that's the last airport you need to get to. You don't have to then catch another flight on a small plane with a regional airline. When I went last, I took everything I needed in my pack, which I carried on the plane, 1 suitcase with a clean change of clothes for the trip home (my bear skull and hide went in this suitcase on the return trip), and my hard case with my rifle. A rifle can be borrowed from the guide (most outfitters offer this, some charge for it).

I am new to hunting, and I am thinking of my first hunt (bow) being black bear here in Alberta. Would it be ill advised to go out solo on my first hunt?