First big game animal?

4x3 Blacktail when I was 13 here in butte county California. I killed a buck a year until I was about 20. crazy as it is the first year I didn’t get a buck was the year I moved to Montana for school.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

FLAK

WKR
11/16/84, Opening day Alabama 4pt. Whitetail.
Walked back to the Landcruiser, and as I was unlocking
the door he jumped up out of an old clear cut at 40 yards or so.
12 Savage Pump stuffed with 00Buck.

MNman

FNG
Grew up in a small town in Colorado in the mountains. I was thirteen at the time and wanted to go hunting bad because my best friend always went. My dad not so much. But he was a great dad and took me elk hunting for my birthday. Basically it went like this. I took the hunters safety course, a week later we borrowed at 270 from his friend and I shot it like4 times just to make sure I could handle it. We drove up a pass and hiked to a lake we knew of after school. We are not properly clothed or anything. But I felt cool. Which was all that mattered. Well to my dads surpise and mine, we turn the corner on the trail and boom there is like a dozen elk, I freeze because now I’m scared because I actually going to kill my first animal. I drop a cow at 30 yards. I’m happy as can be and shacking. I look at my dad and his mouth is wide open in disbelief and mad Because we actually have to field dress this thing but the only problem we did not know how. Ended up having to go back to town to grab his buddy to help us. To this day I still laugh at that story with my dad and his friend.

WJS23

WKR
I got my first big game animal with a bow in 2014. It was a velvet spike horn whitetail that I shot in southern New Hampshire, I was taking pictures of a fawn that stepped out and then right behind him came 4 more deer. I couldnt pass up a shot at a velvet spike.114191

Mine was a 7 point Missouri Whitetail on our farm when I was about 14. I'd been sitting for most of the day and I was absolutely frozen. But my dad set me up in a spot and said 'Don't Move!" so I didn't. Late in the day we went for a walk to try and get some feeling in my feet and we saw this small buck following a few does at about 80 yards through some sparse timber. My dad was to my left, as were the deer. He knelt down and I took one step foreword so I wasn't shooting right over him and let er fly. First shot was a little back since the deer was moving, second one dropped him. He later told me that because of where he was kneeling he was basically right next to the muzzle of my rifle. Probably only a few feet away. He said his ears were ringing for a few days from that.

jspradley

WKR
A forky white tail when I was around 13. I was sitting on the ground because F*** trees and he walked right up to me at about 30 yards and begged for a .243 bullet. He clearly didnt want to live...

ChrisA

WKR
Picture this: northwest Iowa, first Saturday in December, first season shotgun, 1987, age 14 with a great start on a mullet. Uncle Ron took me along with the seasoned group of 14+ guys. He posted me up in the northwest corner of Mancuso's Grove amongst a sparse bunch of large red elm trees for the opening drive of the season.

No more than 10 minutes later the drivers busted out from the railroad tracks about a dozen does, a basket rack or two and a 120" 8 point. Sure enough they came straight across 400 yards of frozen soybean stubble and passed in front of me about 100 yards out. I shouldered my 870 with smoothbore slug barrel and swung on the big 8 point and sent a 1oz Winchester Western slug through his lungs.

It was my first deer, the first deer of our hunt, and the biggest buck in our group. I was a hero and legend in my own mind.

I am a hunter!

Disclaimer: back then a 120" buck was a damned nice one in our area. Now we have plenty of 145+ whitetail and a few in the B&C range.

Chris

Last edited:

KurtR

WKR
Whitetail doe at 12. Dad had me sit on the edge of a slew and he walked the other edge here came a doe. Well it was so close I aimed under the scope and it jumped at the wrong time hit it in the spine about 5 feet from me. Dad came running over asked if I got it and where it was then he stepped on it in the cattails as he walked in front of me. I was shaking like a cat shiting tacks.

First kill with a bow, I was 16 with both my great grandma and great grandpa and shot a barely legal forkie at a water hole. To this day that is my favorite hunting memory being with both of them as I shot it.

Afhunter1

WKR
I was 9, shot a 5 point whitetail in the neck with dads 223. Wasn’t legal but it was fun. Ha ha. I think I’m ok to admit this now. Statue of limitations has to have run out by now. Good times!

30 yrs ago this fall I took my first deer. I still remember my dad looking at the barometer and the full moon and having a good feeling. Watched a whitetail for (in a group of 4) feed towards us at just after daylight. I was kneeling on the ground behind a fallen log with my dad 5ft to my side. Drew back as she walked in and shot her at 10 yds with my bow. Still remember my dad giving the thumbs up as I looked at him after I shot it.

f071769ec2d7b13b0408e4a716b97b34.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Patton

Lil-Rokslider
A small yearling whitetail doe that had been chased by dogs and took refuge in our backyard with broken legs. We called the GW and he let me shoot it with my a slug from my Rossi 20ga. Didn't let us keep the meat though. Two years later at age 10, I got my first 'real' big game kill on a WT button buck.

nodakian

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Doe antelope at age 16 south of Saco MT. My friend and I, with no supervision or guidance, missed shots for three days. It was the blind leading the blind. Finally connected on the fourth morning. Then that afternoon I got a muley doe 200 yards from camp.

Justenfl

FNG
125lbs Boar Hog, it was 20 years ago summer time in FL being eaten alive by mosquitos sitting next to none other than my awesome Nanny (grandmother). Old single shot 12ga 00 buck kicked like a mule. Actually shot that gun a couple months ago it's a wonder how it didnt send me on my back when I was that little. Winter of that year shot my first deer, basket rack 8Pt.

tuffcity

WKR
good lord... that was over 3 decades ago! lol Black bear followed up the next year by a stone sheep. Apparently not the way most people got started...

My dad bird hunted a bit but I had good mentors for big critters. Thanks Mark and Pat for putting up with a wet behind the ears kid.

RC

Whitetail doe. Winchester 30-30. Nothing special but I woke up from a nap to the sound of my dad shooting over the hill. The doe that was with the buck he shot stopped for a second too long.

NebraskaStickHunter

Lil-Rokslider
Twenty years ago, dad and I went out early September as it was starting to snow and I shot a young whitetail doe with dads savage 223 and we pulled it back to the pickup in a sled.