First Binos on a Budget

Bob6180

FNG
Hi guys,
First post ( aside from FNG) and am looking for Binos for my first hunt. I'm looking at 10x42 size and am in the $500-ish price point based on my budget for all the gear I need. For frame of reference, I'll be in Eastern Montana deer hunting and want something with decent eye relief.

I've narrowed the field to: ( In no particular order)

Meoptics MeoPro HD
Leupold BX-4 Pro Guide HD
Vortex Viper HD
Steiner

Looking for feedback on what you have used/ like as well as good contenders missing from my list. I don't know a TON of optic brands - just that I can't afford Zeiss or Swarovski lol.

Thanks for the help!

Aaron Warpony

Lil-Rokslider
https://www.rokslide.com/forums/threads/maven-c1-vs-meopta-meopro-vs-vortex-diamondback.140594/

Some food for thought in this link. I have a pair of the Meopro hds and they are good for the $400 mark. Not perfect, but for the price i think they're pretty good. call doug at camerland.com and he can give you a rokslide discount and lots of info. IMO I think there is kind of a dead zone between $400 binoculars and $1000 binoculars. If you can try some of those options at low light at the local sporting goods store i think you will find what works best for you. Optics have been discussed alot on other threads here, good info everywhere. I'm not too familiar with steiner but my eyes weren't impressed with leoupold or vortex...... everyone is different though, try em till you like one. Look at the resale of those options too, because if you enjoy hunting, you will want to upgrade in 3 years. Good luck

mproberts

WKR
If you absolutely have to stay in that price range I would get the Vipers or Zeiss Terras, but if I was you I would open up a few more bucks and buy something used. If you keep your eye out on the optics classifieds here, eBay, etc.. you can find a much nicer bino for just a few bucks more. There is a noticeable difference between a $400-500 pair of binos and a $900-1200 pair. A nicer pair will honestly last you longer as well, because most people eventually upgrade anyways. I would specifically be looking for Conquest HDs, Meostars or Razor HDs... in that order, but that's just what has looked best to my eyes. Below is what Conquest HDs have sold for recently on eBay.

image.png

OP
B

Bob6180

FNG
If you absolutely have to stay in that price range I would get the Vipers or Zeiss Terras, but if I was you I would open up a few more bucks and buy something used. If you keep your eye out on the optics classifieds here, eBay, etc.. you can find a much nicer bino for just a few bucks more. There is a noticeable difference between a $400-500 pair of binos and a $900-1200 pair. A nicer pair will honestly last you longer as well, because most people eventually upgrade anyways. I would specifically be looking for Conquest HDs, Meostars or Razor HDs... in that order, but that's just what has looked best to my eyes. Below is what Conquest HDs have sold for recently on eBay.

View attachment 202129
Definitely not opposed to used for better quality. Probably going that direction with my scope as well. Will take a look. Thanks!

zorkieo

FNG
I purchased Viper HD's and a pair of Mavens. I wanted to like the Mavens better based on some things I had read but the Vipers are so incredibly well constructed. everything feels great in your hands when you are using them. Super clear with excellent warranty. Cant speak for the others but Its my second pair of Vortex Binos and I have been very happy.

not for hunting but it was helpful

Aaron Warpony

Lil-Rokslider
I like the idea of the used conquests mentioned above. It's alot of money for a first hunt, but you can feel good about being able to resell them if you don't use them much. Conquests are a great bang for the buck. I have a pair of conquest 15s and for my eyes they are almost as good as the swaros i've compared them to. Not quite, but they are alot cheaper so i'll take it. good call mproberts

mproberts

WKR
Same. I used to have 10x42 Conquests and upgraded to SLCs and honestly for the money I wouldn't do it again. I also just got 15x56 Conquests and they are excellent. Keep your eyes peeled for deals and you can find a pair of binos that will last you a long time for not much more money.

Trr15

WKR
I used Viper HDs for several years before upgrading. They were solid and worked well.

CougarBlue

Lil-Rokslider
I owned Vipers HDs 15 for a 4 years before selling them and upgrading. To be honest, I always wanted and expected more out of them. I wasn't blown away by the clarity and had issues with eye relief.

That being said, they were a great budget option and because of the deal I got on them, was able to get what I paid for when I sold them. Based on resale value alone, they would be my pick of the ones you listed.

The advice on hunting for a used pair of Conquest HDs or next tier binos is spot on. You also may want to look at 12x instead of the 10x. The 10x's are a good all around bino, but if you're glassing up big country looking for deer, you'll appreciate something that can give you a little more power and still be stable holding off of a tripod.

Zdub02

WKR
I recently bought the Vortex viper 10x42 and compared them to the Leupold Bx-4. I liked the slightly larger FOV of the vortex and my eyes got a crisper image out of them compared to the Leupolds. So far no complaints with them

Storman

FNG
Hi guys,
First post ( aside from FNG) and am looking for Binos for my first hunt. I'm looking at 10x42 size and am in the $500-ish price point based on my budget for all the gear I need. For frame of reference, I'll be in Eastern Montana deer hunting and want something with decent eye relief.

I've narrowed the field to: ( In no particular order)

Meoptics MeoPro HD
Leupold BX-4 Pro Guide HD
Vortex Viper HD
Steiner

Looking for feedback on what you have used/ like as well as good contenders missing from my list. I don't know a TON of optic brands - just that I can't afford Zeiss or Swarovski lol.

Thanks for the help!
I’ve used the bx4 and are fantastic for the money. Stay away from Vortex at all cost.