First bow advise

Warmsy

WKR
I thought about that and it does make since
But I also thought if I learn to shoot a good bow it would be better to stick with what I learned on and not throw away a few hundred buck on a temp bow
Yeah I hear you. I bought my pse compound 2.5 years ago for 200, sold it this spring for 225. I like nice things. I like leather and wood and blued steel... But I'm really glad I shut that bow for 2 years, and got really good with it. I learned that I really prefer my recurve over compounds. If I shot that beautiful, sexy Hoyt rx4 as my first bow, I'm certain I wouldn't have appreciated it, and probably would have lost money in the deal. Same reason I tell my friends not to waste expensive wine on me. But I understand if that money is burning a hole in your pocket! Haha.

andydwyer

WKR
I like the buy once cry once kind of deal, but in my fear of upgrade-itis, recently overpaid for a brand new 2021 bow. I'm 100% convinced that an old stock now on sale would have been the right move. Call around -- there are deals to be had. And shoot a lot of them.

I would suggest buying used here on the forum, but getting setup at the shop is nice 🤷

Oh, and if you get used accessories, make sure to bring them with you when you get the bow.

kcm2

WKR
He has the money. If he shoots everything on the rack at his local store, one will shoot better and/or feel better to him. True story: I took a friend to buy a new bow years ago. He had just gotten a significant bonus check, so he was ready to splurge. He shot every one and the best for him was the entry level Bowtech Assassin. And he shot if for years until it was stolen, and consistently killed animals with it, never wanting more.

Rob5589

WKR
6 to 800 with everything from bow, arrows, release, sight, rest, broadheads, target, case ?
Absolutely. You don't need a flagship bow, Spot Hogg sight, 200 dollar drop away, Tight Spot quiver, etc., in order to get a great shooting bow to kill stuff with.

NorseNW

FNG
Definitely stick with the shoot as many as you can side by side. I'm a lefty so that limits me a bit but without this limiter I would go in one day shoot several. Narrower it to 3 to 5 bows. Take a day or two off before returning and narrowing the herd further until the big 2 shot off takes place. No guarantee that you won't get the upgrade itis but at least limiting the chances.

Fisherhahn

Lil-Rokslider
If you have any hunting buddies the bow hunt make sure someone comes with you. Even if you don’t, take a friend. In a good shop won’t matter much, but if you get a “salesman” they might not try to take advantage if they think either one of you might know a few things. To start out I’d go used, as others have said. Also, if limited on local shops, take a day trip and drive to a shop with a good reputation and more important, lots of options. Many small local shops only stock a couple brands.

OP
Brian.243

Brian.243

FNG
If you have any hunting buddies the bow hunt make sure someone comes with you. Even if you don’t, take a friend. In a good shop won’t matter much, but if you get a “salesman” they might not try to take advantage if they think either one of you might know a few things. To start out I’d go used, as others have said. Also, if limited on local shops, take a day trip and drive to a shop with a good reputation and more important, lots of options. Many small local shops only stock a couple brands.
I dont any any friends that bow hunt
I have been doing my own research for quite a while
But yeah if I get the car salesman vibe there is another shop a few hours south I will go check out

JTR11

FNG
How are you hoping to use the bow? Target shooting in the backyard, backcountry hunts, tree stand?

OP
Brian.243

Brian.243

FNG
How are you hoping to use the bow? Target shooting in the backyard, backcountry hunts, tree stand?
Day hunts for mule deer spot and stalk
And chukar California has a archery chukar season and I really love chukar hunting
I dont expect to be shooting them out of the air
I don't have a bird dog anymore but I stay pretty successful with a shotgun and I think I can get within bow range
I haul water to guzzlers a few times a month when it gets hot and to take a chukar for lunch now and then would be awesome

Rob5589

WKR
Day hunts for mule deer spot and stalk
And chukar California has a archery chukar season and I really love chukar hunting
I dont expect to be shooting them out of the air
I don't have a bird dog anymore but I stay pretty successful with a shotgun and I think I can get within bow range
I haul water to guzzlers a few times a month when it gets hot and to take a chukar for lunch now and then would be awesome
What part of CA are you in? Lots of CA people here that may be able to point you in the right direction.

kcm2

WKR
On releases, the Spot Hoggs are quite good. My primary release is a Spot Hogg Keeton, with a Tough Guy and a Carter Like Mike also in my bag. The better releases are worth the money.

Rob5589

WKR
I've used several releases over the years with my current being my favorite overall. It's a Stan Xtinction 2, very crisp, easy to adjust, nice trigger shape, open hook makes hookup simple.

OP
Brian.243

Brian.243

FNG
Thank you all
I was able to shoot about 20 different bows is all kinds of price ranges over about 3 and a half hours
Fell in love with a bowtech
Got it all set up and sighted in the 20 yard pin
I dont have any other experience but the crew at riverside archery in so cal let me try every bow and release I wanted
And answered every question and was a great experience

kcm2

WKR
See, the Bowtech picked you.....it sounds odd, as I'm sure all were excellent bows at Riverside Archery, but one will be more right for you than any other.

jrdnschl

FNG
I started down my bowhunting journey this year and I started with a mid-range Bowtech. My wife decided she wanted to start as well, and she took the mid-range bow because it could adjust to her size, and I picked up a new 2019 flagship model for really cheap. I will tell you that as a new archer, I could not tell the difference between the two while shooting them. I would suggest getting one of the mid-range bows from one of the big names with some better accessories and then practice, practice, practice. You can upgrade to a better bow when you know you like it and can probably appreciate the upgrades on the bow a little more.

BryanL

Lil-Rokslider
From what I gather, the general consensus is either get abused bow and shoot it into the ground and then you’ll know what you want or go to a pro shop and get it right “the first time”.

I think I’m planning on snagging a used PSE Stinger to break my archery hiatus. Found one for $180 in good shape. Plan to get decent accessories and shoot the heck outta it. I’ll take it to the Bow Rack in Springfield to have it tuned and fitted.

If I consistently like the sport like I did in the past, I’ll go for a real upgrade I think. My main focus will be to take the unit elk hunting here in Oregon.