First buck down!

OP
07yzryder

07yzryder

Lil-Rokslider
Great job. Nothing like putting venison on your own table to share with others.

Jeremy

I have converted a few people who said deer was gamey. I told them i'm thinkin the hunter wasn't a good hunter and that deer ran. I hear deer who are gut shot and run a while get full of adrenaline are gamey, as well as post rut. mine kicked twice and tastes WAYYY better then any beef I've ever tried.

Way to go! I love those hills.. its pretty close to the same stuff I hunt here in idaho!
Its awesome that you're cooking amazing meals and showing people how amazing deer really is!

Nice story and CONGRATS on your 1st BUCK! Sounds like you worked for it, plus (I'm assuming) you didn't have the opportunity that a lot of hunters have. Which is to be trained/apprenticed/mentored by a family member when they're young, and as they grow up. Breaking into a completely new "sport" as an adult, where the objective is to kill a very refined critter is quite difficult, Kudos!

Just speaking for myself, I was raised by a fully-fledged addicted outdoorsman whose passion's encompassed hunting and fishing, but deer/elk hunting wasn't really a priority. Birds, steelhead, bass, salmon, and then the occasional deer in that priority, is what I learned. So in my early 20's I went about learning how to kill mule deer. Plus, when you're a "bigger dude" you're harder to hide LOL, I know this first hand!! Once I got into my 40's the weight didn't come off near as easy, so I finally made a pledge to myself to get healthier. That was 2,5 years ago and I've dropped 70#'s. I still need to dump some more, but hoofing it is definitely easier now. Keep motivated, keep learning, maybe pick a neighboring state you'd like to apply for tags in too? That extends the hunting for the fall/winter.

As to your shoulder roast, that looks excellent! Personally, I'm not a big fan of grilled game. Mainly due to the fact there's minimal fat on a wild critter, thus the meat is easily overcooked. I've been cooking front shoulder roasts, and neck roasts for almost 30 years. They're super simple roasted in the oven, almost a "set it and forget it" type of meal. I learned this technique from my grandfather; he would always cook the elk neck (or a 1/2 if a big neck) taken by me or my cousins.

1-Front Shoulder or Neck trimmed up of loose skin/membrane, light dusting of seasoned flour
4-8 Spuds Halved of Quartered depending on size of spud and roast
1-Onion Peeled Chopped to Bite Pieces
8-10 Carrots Peeled (How I prefer) Cut into 3" pieces
1-Package Lipton Onion Soup Mix (I like to mash the packet with a rolling pin, CAREFULLY, don't blow the packet up)
1-Quart Beef Broth (minimum, may need to add more, depends on the size of roasting pan)
Garlic Powder & Fresh Ground Pepper Over the entire mess as you layer (other spices if you wish)

You will need a LARGE roasting pan with lid to fit all the chit in. Coat the roast with "seasoned flour". I use ground pepper and garlic powder...lots of it! Pre-heat oven to 275-300. With the roasting pan on the stovetop, spanning (2) burners on med-high, I add just enough oil to coat the bottom of the pan. This is to brown the roast. Once the oil is shimmering, I add the roast. It's going to splatter, so the wife-unit is going to be pissed at the oil splatter/smoke (fore-warned...but hey man, you're making dinner!) Try to get most of the sides browned (2-3 minutes per side, roll the neck). Once browned, remove pan from the hot burners to the cool side of the stovetop or a wood cutting board.

Let the pan cool for a few minutes, as you will add the broth next. If you don't let the pan/oil COOL for a few,, you'll send HOT OIL and BROTH skyward (wife unit PISSED, and you BURNED!!!). Add the broth; it should be up the side of the roasting pan, maybe 3/8" or so, + or - 1/8". If it's less than a 1/4" add some water. Next layer the spuds/onion/and carrots as a mix around the perimeter of the roast. Sprinkling with the Liptons Mix (dry). I also extra ground pepper and garlic pepper, sometimes a little sage (light) or rosemary. Add the spices to the roast as well.

This is a "grandma's" type recipe, so you really can't screw it up, unless you let it run out of the liquid. But it's not the type of recipe you make an hour or 2 before dinner either, as I always plan 5-6hrs of cook time. The trick is to cook low and slow, and once "the fork" pulls the meat off the bone, the roast is done. The front shoulder will cook faster than the neck roast by 1,5-2hrs. I like to cook between 275-300, checking every 2hrs mainly to verify the liquid content. Somewhere around 4-5 hrs the shoulder will be done, and 5-6hrs the neck will be finished. "The fork" will pull the meat off with no resistance, super tender! We separate the veggies in one bowl, debone the meat onto a platter, and cover both with foil. Then make a gravy with the remaining liquid (adding a couple of drops of Kitchen Bouquet) and using cold water/and dissolved flour or corn starch...stirring constantly over medium heat. One last thought..if you have guests who may be squeamish over the thought of eating "neck", we re-branded it..naming it "upper shoulder roast". Many a T-day or X-mas Eve meal, the main course was "Upper Shoulder Roast" and nobody complained.

Apologies for the long-winded post.

OP
07yzryder

07yzryder

Lil-Rokslider
Nice story and CONGRATS on your 1st BUCK! Sounds like you worked for it, plus (I'm assuming) you didn't have the opportunity that a lot of hunters have. Which is to be trained/apprenticed/mentored by a family member when they're young, and as they grow up. Breaking into a completely new "sport" as an adult, where the objective is to kill a very refined critter is quite difficult, Kudos!

Just speaking for myself, I was raised by a fully-fledged addicted outdoorsman whose passion's encompassed hunting and fishing, but deer/elk hunting wasn't really a priority. Birds, steelhead, bass, salmon, and then the occasional deer in that priority, is what I learned. So in my early 20's I went about learning how to kill mule deer. Plus, when you're a "bigger dude" you're harder to hide LOL, I know this first hand!! Once I got into my 40's the weight didn't come off near as easy, so I finally made a pledge to myself to get healthier. That was 2,5 years ago and I've dropped 70#'s. I still need to dump some more, but hoofing it is definitely easier now. Keep motivated, keep learning, maybe pick a neighboring state you'd like to apply for tags in too? That extends the hunting for the fall/winter.

As to your shoulder roast, that looks excellent! Personally, I'm not a big fan of grilled game. Mainly due to the fact there's minimal fat on a wild critter, thus the meat is easily overcooked. I've been cooking front shoulder roasts, and neck roasts for almost 30 years. They're super simple roasted in the oven, almost a "set it and forget it" type of meal. I learned this technique from my grandfather; he would always cook the elk neck (or a 1/2 if a big neck) taken by me or my cousins.

1-Front Shoulder or Neck trimmed up of loose skin/membrane, light dusting of seasoned flour
4-8 Spuds Halved of Quartered depending on size of spud and roast
1-Onion Peeled Chopped to Bite Pieces
8-10 Carrots Peeled (How I prefer) Cut into 3" pieces
1-Package Lipton Onion Soup Mix (I like to mash the packet with a rolling pin, CAREFULLY, don't blow the packet up)
1-Quart Beef Broth (minimum, may need to add more, depends on the size of roasting pan)
Garlic Powder & Fresh Ground Pepper Over the entire mess as you layer (other spices if you wish)

You will need a LARGE roasting pan with lid to fit all the chit in. Coat the roast with "seasoned flour". I use ground pepper and garlic powder...lots of it! Pre-heat oven to 275-300. With the roasting pan on the stovetop, spanning (2) burners on med-high, I add just enough oil to coat the bottom of the pan. This is to brown the roast. Once the oil is shimmering, I add the roast. It's going to splatter, so the wife-unit is going to be pissed at the oil splatter/smoke (fore-warned...but hey man, you're making dinner!) Try to get most of the sides browned (2-3 minutes per side, roll the neck). Once browned, remove pan from the hot burners to the cool side of the stovetop or a wood cutting board.

Let the pan cool for a few minutes, as you will add the broth next. If you don't let the pan/oil COOL for a few,, you'll send HOT OIL and BROTH skyward (wife unit PISSED, and you BURNED!!!). Add the broth; it should be up the side of the roasting pan, maybe 3/8" or so, + or - 1/8". If it's less than a 1/4" add some water. Next layer the spuds/onion/and carrots as a mix around the perimeter of the roast. Sprinkling with the Liptons Mix (dry). I also extra ground pepper and garlic pepper, sometimes a little sage (light) or rosemary. Add the spices to the roast as well.

This is a "grandma's" type recipe, so you really can't screw it up, unless you let it run out of the liquid. But it's not the type of recipe you make an hour or 2 before dinner either, as I always plan 5-6hrs of cook time. The trick is to cook low and slow, and once "the fork" pulls the meat off the bone, the roast is done. The front shoulder will cook faster than the neck roast by 1,5-2hrs. I like to cook between 275-300, checking every 2hrs mainly to verify the liquid content. Somewhere around 4-5 hrs the shoulder will be done, and 5-6hrs the neck will be finished. "The fork" will pull the meat off with no resistance, super tender! We separate the veggies in one bowl, debone the meat onto a platter, and cover both with foil. Then make a gravy with the remaining liquid (adding a couple of drops of Kitchen Bouquet) and using cold water/and dissolved flour or corn starch...stirring constantly over medium heat. One last thought..if you have guests who may be squeamish over the thought of eating "neck", we re-branded it..naming it "upper shoulder roast". Many a T-day or X-mas Eve meal, the main course was "Upper Shoulder Roast" and nobody complained.

Apologies for the long-winded post.

You would be correct, i spent my younger years as a dependent in Korea 5 miles from the DMZ, from 4 to 15. Did alot of hiking and a very little bit of fishing since their game species was a sucker fish my dad wasn't interested. Catfish or GTFO was his philosophy when stationed at ft sill Oklahoma before hand and lakes were plenty. Moving back stateside it was NTC Ft Irwin California for me, Barstow to be exact. Those who were in the Army and spent time at NTC can tell you there aint SQUAT around hence they built a base they can replicate war time conditions and shoot live armament lol.

I am definitely leaning towards additional states as well. I didn't want to get too over zealous and put in for tags in Utah and Idaho, get lucky draw a bunch then be torn apart trying to learn in 3 completely different areas. For now, im going to apply to the same zone as this year, also talking to a buddy who has family in Wyoming and own a large piece of BFE property that can be hunted. He travels there annually during hunting season to get his fish and he has offered a room at the house in WY if we (my brother and I) want to hunt the area.

As far as cooking game, im always in for a recipe. personally we decided to try it in a pure form to start and get a baseline of how it is. Nothing more basic then salt pepper and fire. going to be trying alot more recipes and always love some opinions on the subject. My brother happened to get me a nice camp chef 3 burner that will work perfectly for this recipe!

Thanks again for the tid bits i appreciate it.

Life is a journey, man, enjoy it! Definitely look into the WY property, connections are a wonderful thing!

As for the rest of the critter, we make our own burger and stew meat out of 80% of them. Prime cuts are pan-fried, HOT.

OP
07yzryder

07yzryder

Lil-Rokslider
Life is a journey, man, enjoy it! Definitely look into the WY property, connections are a wonderful thing!

As for the rest of the critter, we make our own burger and stew meat out of 80% of them. Prime cuts are pan-fried, HOT.
that's it, I got tired of questioning how its done and figured life is short, I can question how to do it or do like I do with alot of other things, say EFF it and jump in as prepared as possible.

Did grind quite a bit since it was my first deer, I had some extra trimmings as I learned how to process it properly. Plan on doing some braised and some osso bucco with the shanks, a nice thanksgiving roast with a meal more true to the original thanksgiving!

Fitzwho

WKR
Very cool. I just shot my first public land mule deer this past Monday. Should be able to say this past Saturday, but I totally whiffed a 30 yard shot with a muzzleloader on what would have been the biggest deer I have ever killed. Next year maybe.

At the same time as "you don't shoot booners by killing dinks", I think pushing yourself through a hunt and getting some kills under your belt is better to get you started than going years without a kill because you didn't see that one deer. I found that one deer this year and didn't get it done. Whatever tag I get next year, I'll be looking for one a bit bigger than this year's, and trying to progress.