First buck of 2022, Alabama success

OP
Scottyboy

Scottyboy

WKR
What was your “strange food”?
Little pancakes that I think were made of cornbread. Some sort of greens (not collard greens), I forget what exactly they called them, and some sort of gravy that was put on top of really anything; thin/gritty consistency. Last but not least Alabama white sauce. Not sure what it’s intended for but it was real good with fried chicken

N2TRKYS

WKR
Little pancakes that I think were made of cornbread. Some sort of greens (not collard greens), I forget what exactly they called them, and some sort of gravy that was put on top of really anything; thin/gritty consistency. Last but not least Alabama white sauce. Not sure what it’s intended for but it was real good with fried chicken

I’ve never understood how the white sauce thing was attached to Alabama. I never heard of it growing up. Quite possibly the worst thing that ever happened to bbq sauce. Fried cornbread is awesome, though.

OP
Scottyboy

Scottyboy

WKR
I’ve never understood how the white sauce thing was attached to Alabama. I never heard of it growing up. Quite possibly the worst thing that ever happened to bbq sauce. Fried cornbread is awesome, though.
The white sauce was different, I had never heard of it before but a guy made his own and was quite proud of it so I tried it. Glad I did but not real certain I would go out of my way to have it again. Everything else though, well there is a reason I’ll be back next year and it ain’t the deer hunting! 😉

DWhite213

FNG
White sauce is usually served with bbq chicken. Not as good as some people try to make it sound but it’s good to mix it up sometimes.

Our season ends feb 10. It used to be Jan 31 but they moved it back as some places wouldn’t rut until nearly feb. What’s funny is that some places rut mid November. Must have gotten some northern genetics mixed in with the herd.

Last edited:

ChrisAU

WKR
Love our late rut here in Alabama. I can hunt the rut in Georgia in late Nov/Early Dec then hunt it in Alabama January through Feb 10th. Then during Turkey season in March I'll see bucks chasing does...

That’s a hoecake!

The area in mid Jan even better. Nice buck!

OP
Scottyboy

Scottyboy

WKR
That’s a hoecake!

The area in mid Jan even better. Nice buck!
Thanks! Hoecakes might be my new favorite food, I won’t say how many I consumed in a few days 🤣🤣🤣

I will be back again next year mid January, I can’t imagine things could get any better than what we had this year, but am looking forward to be proven wrong! 😃