First bull elk!

I10duck

FNG
Well, after dreaming of hunting bull elk for 30 years, and having to pass on a hunt 2 years ago, I was able to head to Wyoming with my hunting pards - all 3 of them had scored 2 years ago and got me all fired up when our party got drawn this year. Since I used all 5 of my points to boost our odds, the guys gave me first crack at a shooter bull.
Got to Wyoming on Oct 5 and got settled in, shot a few rounds to make sure our scopes hadn’t shifted, and then glassed that evening. Sunday morning we were up and in our guide’s favorite spot before day broke. He cow called and got a few bugles. He turned to me and said “you’re coming with me, let’s go!”.
Well, I’m from the flat farmland of Indiana, and trying to hoof it up and down over ridges to cover almost a mile in 30 minutes, chasing after a guy who runs ultra marathons for fun, redefined my view of being in shape!
We finally got to a ridge that was a little over 500 yards from the herd, which had about 20 cows, a few calves, a spike, a branch antlered 3x4, and the herd bull. However, we had to back out, down and around more because we Would have been exposed trying to set up for the shot.
so another 15 minutes of moving up and around put us above the herd and they ranged between 350-400 yards. I felt very comfortable at that range, so located the herd bull in my scope and settled in to squeeze off a shot. After settling In, I triggered the Extreme Hunter as the bull was slightly quartering toward me at somewhere between 396-402 yards (guide kept calling range as he fed). Let’s call it 400. I dialed up 1.0 mils on my PMII 10x42 and hit him right where I wanted with a 139 grain Scenar that left the muzzle at 3,060. He didn’t even show a sign of being hit, and John said “did you miss?”. I said nope, just as he turned and started walking to our right. The cows milled around a little but the TBAC Ultra7 did a good job suppressing the shot. He staggered as he started to walk and in about 30 seconds he was down for the count! I said my prayer and took my time getting down to him, a beautiful 6x5!
details:
GA Precision Extreme Hunter 6.5Gap4S (6.5 SAUM)
S&B PMII 10x42
Talley LW rings
Lapua Scenar 139 grain
61.0 grains H1000 in R-P 300 SAUM brass necked down/turned
Tula LRM primer
TBAC Ultra7 6.5 suppressor with CB mount
Harris BRMS bipod
Montana sling 1”
Leica Geovid HD-B 10x42
Kuiu Pro Bino harness (loved it)

We actually caught some trout on Tuesday, grilled up the lions and had a wonderful Wyoming surf & turf supper, complete with my favorite Black Tooth Brewing Saddle Bronc brown ale!

#itdontgetbetterthanthis

View attachment 126899View attachment 126901View attachment 126902View attachment 126904View attachment 126905View attachment 126906
Looks awesome!

Pepe55

FNG
Wow, love it. Went my first time this year with my bow had 7 bulls respond , 2 came in close, one under 20 yds, no shot, wind swirled guess what? Can't wait for next year