First bull

Ok it’s your first public land bull. If legal, would
You shoot a spike? I just can not see myself being happy with it but maybe that would change in the moment.

elkguide

WKR
Depends totally on you and what you want to have for memories of your hunt.

For me, the hunt is so many enjoyable, fun things. Once I pull the trigger, then the work begins. The memories are what the hunt is all about.

I've shot quite a few deer and elk and of those that are my "favorite" memories are not actually my largest horns. The mule deer is 22" 4X4 that ran in front of us as we were eating our lunch and my buddies bet me that I couldn't take him at that distance on the run. I'm smiling right now thinking about that day.

Savage99

WKR
I did. And was more than happy eating elk all year. If I got to a point where I was consistently getting decent bulls everywhere that would change.

But ya, my first public land bull was a spike. After hunting elk for 6 years.

Same for me, situation dependent. No meat in freezer so I’m shooting first legal. Probably a cow with either sex tag.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jeepers, killed my first bull in 1967, a small rag horn 4x5. Bayonet distance. Just reached out and shot him. Killed a bunch of bulls since then, mostly spikes. Over the years I’ve killed a couple that measured at 350+-. The only year I held out I had 18 preference points, killed a real good bull on day 10. Some day I might score him, probably not. He is the biggest but I don’t really give a hoot how many inches of horn. One year I had a bunch of vacation time I was going to loose, spent three weeks hunting and a couple of days traveling. Killed bulls in three states.
In my mind every elk hunt has been an adventure. I’ve hunted on the edge of forest fires and in blizzards that left us days late getting out. Spent two nights bivouacd, once a little bewildered, not lost, I was pretty sure what state I was in, once I went after and killed a bull in hells canyon knowing I would have to spend the night. Killed elk two minutes into the season and with two minutes left to go in the season. Never let a bull walk on opening day I would kill on the last day, except the year I drew Walla Walla. Carried all but two out on my back. Bet I haven’t spent the equivalent of a truck payment on beef since I was 12 years old. I’ve always eaten elk.
Each and every hunt has been an adventure, I could tell elk stories until you passed out. Never regretted tagging a small bull.

Oregon

WKR
I killed my first ever Roosevelt spike bull last year. Killed a bunch of rag horns and a dandy 9 year old bull in the past.
I will shoot over the top of a dandy 9 year old to kill the spike behind it from now on. Twice as much meat on the big bull, but me and my wife just giggle and smile when we cut spike steaks with a fork.

I hunt for a "good hunt" that includes all the experiences, the chase, the harvest, the tracking, packing, eating,etc. I spike fits nicely into all those categories and it doesn't matter on which day the events happen, as long as they are in the right order.

Shoot the first legal elk that gives you a shot. That is my advice. First time on public land, the odds are >90% against you, and you're going to pass?

How many legit opportunities do you think you will get?

Jeremy
We have, for about the last 40 years, had the “you’re done” vote. During dinner a story gets told of a missed opportunity, the members huddle, discussion ensued and a vote taken. You’re done is often the decision. Elk do not possess the mythical powers bestowed on them because they’re like white tails. :)

Joe Holden

Lil-Rokslider
First elk in range whether that's a cow, spike, branch antlered bull. Having not been on an elk hunt, I can assure you that the only elk not being in trouble is a calf. Exception might be a Fort Riley Elk tag. Who knows when/if that'll happen.
My first and only pronghorn was a doe. That animal was the hardest, coolest hunt I personally have done. Every time i look at the tanned hide i remember it vividly.

JD619er

WKR
My first elk was a decent 5x5 as was my hunting partners first. Going on year 5 of driving from the Midwest to the Rockies I'll tell you I don't believe there will be a day I wouldn't shoot a spike lol for the amount of money, time and effort I put into this hunt every year I can't afford to pass on elk. I'm there for the experience anyway and the meat.

Ok it’s your first public land bull. If legal, would
You shoot a spike? I just can not see myself being happy with it but maybe that would change in the moment.

Why wouldn't it make you happy? I grew up in eastern Washington and could only shoot spikes. I would have given anything to have an opportunity at a spike.
I can now hunt any bull and I have yet to let the first legal bull I see walk. Some years its a nice bull, some years its a spike. There is no better feeling than a filled tag and a filled freezer. That's what its all about at the end of the day.