First bull

Rob5589

WKR
Going on my third year and still have yet to even draw on an elk. For me and my OTC tag, it is any elk.

My tag this year is OTC and says ANY ELK. I won't shoot a calf or a cow with a calf, but everything else is fair game. 1st to last if it's OTC public land I'll take what's legal.

P.S my first elk when I was 13 was taken during Oregon's 2nd elk season (spike only) and the size of his horns have nothing to do with the pride I feel about taking him even now, 20 years later.

Ok it’s your first public land bull. If legal, would
You shoot a spike? I just can not see myself being happy with it but maybe that would change in the moment.

Have you hunted elk before? Are you going unguided or without an experienced mentor? If so, your expectations might change real quick if you get a couple long days without elk encounters. Have a good experience but if you're not going to be happy with an animal, don't shoot it.

Day 6 of a tough MT General tag hunt last year a cow was about to get a bullet but was saved by the 6 point that walked out behind her.. I had killed elk before but would have been happy with a cow.

lyingflatlander

Lil-Rokslider
I went to Colorado for otc 4 years straight a decade ago. I had 2 opportunities at cows in that time. The last one I called in to my lap on opening morning of a 2 week hunt. I drew on her twice at 20 and 30 yds and let her walk because I wanted a bull. I never had another opportunity the rest of that season. If you have an opportunity, kill the damn elk.

I’d be shooting, no hesitation, no regret. It’s a bull on the ground and meat in the freezer. I’ve passed on animals before holding out for bigger and never gotten another opportunity. I learned my lesson. Planning my first elk hunt this fall, I’ll probably end up with a cow tag, easy draw odds and higher success rates. For me it’s about the whole experience, not a shoulder mount on the wall.

My tag this year is OTC and says ANY ELK. I won't shoot a calf or a cow with a calf, but everything else is fair game. 1st to last if it's OTC public land I'll take what's legal.

P.S my first elk when I was 13 was taken during Oregon's 2nd elk season (spike only) and the size of his horns have nothing to do with the pride I feel about taking him even now, 20 years later.
I was 12, killed mine near Tolgate, where did you kill yours? Every day, when I log on here, I’m reminded how blessed I am to have grown up in elk country.

It's been said, but I'll say it again: take that shot all day on public OTC. I know so many guys that haven't shot an elk in 2-5 years that really regret not taking an opportunity on a cow.

That being said, if you've got some mental complex about horns, be honest with yourself but know it might take while. Like another poster said, definitely a decision you should make before going into the woods.

True story: First time I ever took my now wife elk hunting we had a cow walk in perfectly broadside on the first morning. She had flown out for a 3 day weekend hunt. We had a very quick and very quiet discussion while I was at full draw, definitely not the way you want to do that. She (and I) were as happy as could be that there was elk meat and that she got to witness the process. She's currently winding up for season #2 of her trying to do it for herself she's that excited.

Any public land elk with a bow is a trophy. Put the arrow on a mount if you really need one.

I was 12, killed mine near Tolgate, where did you kill yours? Every day, when I log on here, I’m reminded how blessed I am to have grown up in elk country.
It was over in Sled, before the timber company flattened everything on level ground. The funny thing is we'd run around in the Eagle Caps all summer cutting trails and I've never once hunted there. Some guys I got acquainted with here in Washington started hunting there and got all sorts of secretive when I asked them where at. Not much of an issue now since I go pack their elk as an excuse to call in at work.

I great elkhunter from the Pacific NW once told me to kill whatever ihad the opportunity to kill when I asked him something similar in 2008 after my first elk hunt. Unsuccessful one at that.

He said, keep putting yourself into encounters with elk. Be aggressive. Learn what makes elk tic.

So I did, and killed 3 cows the next 3 hunts and finally killed a bull in year 5. Not because I wasn't getting into bulls either. I was busy blowing opportunities on bulls and just lucky enough to kill the cows I had opportunities with after totally screwing up.

I say, kill what makes you happy, and enjoy

;)

Whatever presents an opportunity. The sooner you can put an elk down and have the experience packing it out, eating it, etc. the better.

Funny, my friend from the PNW, Slickstalker on another forum, told me that very thing. What a great piece of advice there!

WhiteOak

Lil-Rokslider
That's going to be a personal choice for each hunter. Where I'm at with my hunting, Yes absolutely no doubt. Bringing and animal home to my family is far more important to me than any headgear. I feel like I owe it to them. Once im in a place where I have plenty of meat in the freezer and my kids are a little older so it's not so hard on the wife while I'm gone, Im sure I will be a little more choosy. Oh course I am happy to just have the experience of being out there. But right now if I had the chance to bring meat home and I passed on that and came home empty handed I would feel a little guilty about it.

Ross

Super Moderator
Staff member
As noted only you can decide and on public land you pass tag soup may be eaten.....which can be fine for many and not for others there hopefully will be a time to be selective your first opportunity may not be the best time good luck👍

Jgill19

Lil-Rokslider
I always say I'm not shooting a spike, then shoot a spike. This year I'm not shooting a spike!!! In reality ill probably shoot a spike unless i shoot a bigger one first, can't help it... lol You'll know when the time comes if you want to shoot it. If YOU want to shoot it, shoot it. If You don't want to shoot it, dont. Good luck!

87TT

WKR
Eating cow elk right now. And it sure is nice. My house is too small for a mount anyway. No brainer. If it's your first time, and it's public otc, you must be crazy to pass. While I want to kill a big bull someday, it's not that important.

Labdad

FNG
Hunters kinda follow a flow. It's never the same for everyone. Some skip phases , some regress. But we usually start out just wanting to be successful. Then filling limits. The trophy stage , then the grateful for the experience phase.

It matters not where you are. Enjoy the journey where pursuing wild animals leads you.

All too often we as hunters are our own worst enemies. We tend to project our preferences on others. Whether it's our methods, weapon choices or what we harvest.

It's not hypergolic fuel technology.....

Rich M

WKR
You really have to decide what is important to you. Want only super-magnum trophy? Want "just an elk?

Used to work with a guy who would talk fly fishing all day every day. He RARELY ever went. Knew very little about fly fishing, or fishing in general. Nice guy - just swallowed the hype and let it make his decisions for him though he was happy with just catching a few fish. I took him once and we caught a dozen bass, he was thrilled. Wasn't able to get him fly fishing... Haven't talked to him in over 20 years - sincerely hope he still has the fire burning for it. His enthusiasm was awesome.

How does this apply to the question? If you've never shot an elk and are willing to go at it like the pros, only a big one. You can taste it - awesome! Possibly you/me/we don't realize you would be happy with a rag horn or even spike for a first elk.

I've got a similar situation but for mulies - hoping for a tag in a lightly hunted area, fellow who told me to go here said lots of young bucks but also some real whoppers. Never shot one before. How long will I wait? I like symmetry, 3x3 or 4x4, tall beats wide. Then add an 80 yr old father wanting to join me - he'd never go when we were both younger. I'm doing MY bucket list. LOL! So, what am I gonna shoot? Got no idea but it will be a great trophy with some wonderful memories attached to it.