First bull

Jbehredt

WKR
My first bull was a cow and I was thrilled. First 3 bulls were cows as I recall. Now I’m a little more selective but getting your first elk down is a major accomplishment. Get a couple under your belt then start counting points or inches.

shootnrun

Lil-Rokslider
I feel like I am going to echo what everyone else has said here. But passing on a legal elk is not something I would ever suggest. I have killed 4 elk in my 4 years of archery elk hunting. The first two were cows, and the first opportunities handed to me. The second two were 6's. I passed on one spike last year on day 2 of a 19 day hunt in an area I was extremely familiar with. Had it been the previous years, arrows would have been flying. I feel stories of giants and pics of LE bulls set examples for people that make them feel ashamed of the cow, spike, or rag that they busted their ass to get. I cherish the memories of every elk I have killed and reliving the stories with the buddies who were there with me. So don't hold back. And be proud of the hard work you put in and overcoming the instincts of an animal that didn't want to die to put meat in the freezer, regardless of what was on its head.

Never hunted a GMU where spikes are legal. I had three within 30 yards for 20 minutes two years ago playing in a wallow.

Sled

WKR
i'll take a cow, calf or spike over any bull if i have a choice. you can't eat the antlers and the meat is better on the younger animals. also, my back thanks me every time i pass on a big bull. packing out solo can be a real chore with a bull on your back. if you can get him to walk closer to the truck before you shoot him then we'll talk.

walleye26

FNG
For my first bull I would absolutely shoot a spiker, unless I knew I was standing a good chance of getting tangled up with a old boy. That call would also depend on if it was an archery or rifle hunt. Fewer chances at quality shots with the bow would motivate me to take any respectable animal that put meat in my freezer until I could take another crack at a larger bull next year.

If there's only 1 or 2 days left in my trip, I never taken a bull, and I have an opportunity to come home with an animal, it would be very tough for me to pass!

ace4

FNG
Are you trying to decorate your wall or fill your belly?

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

traviswdalton

Lil-Rokslider
You’ll know when you see it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Turns out my first elk was an easy choice when deciding to shoot or pass.

31c0e077684b55f46d169c9af33b3732.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

87TT

WKR
I re read this post and found out I answered it back in May. I said I would take the first shot and did. I shot a spike/fork. It was self defense!
I was planning to try and hold out at least until the middle of the season. I had hunted 4 days and only saw 2 cows that saw me first in the thick. It was the evening of the 4th day and I had only heard a couple of bugles that turned out to be hunters. The woods were full of hunters. I did a cold cow call down in a small gully. I then quickly moved up about 30 yards and set up using what I had learned from listening to Paul (Elknut) and others. A spike soon ran out above me about 200 yards away on an open hillside looking around. I watched as he started walking. I was in the open next to a fir tree. My plan was try and call him down and when he dropped in the gully to draw and when he came out, shoot him. Easy 30 yard shot. When he went behind a tree, I threw a couple soft calls over my shoulder. He immediately turned and came on the run. I don't know if he was looking for love or thought I was his mama. He blew through that gully so fast, I didn't have time to draw. He was running right for me! When he was under 15 yards, I drew. He slammed on the brakes, confused and started to spin. As he turned, I shot. Two more seconds and he would have trampled me. Pass through in the vitals. He ran and walked about 250 yards and died Spent the rest of the night breaking him down and packing him out.
Next year, I'll hold out a little longer..............................................................................Maybe.

Last edited:

Stocker

FNG
Public land with a good tag and OTC public are 2 different scenarios.

OTC public you better take when you have the chance, because chances are not good.

CBar

FNG
Absolutely - you earn your elk, and as many have said you don't want to look back and regret what you passed up early in the hunt when you're headed back to the truck! Public land, no preference points, I'd take that spike bull.

jog

FNG
I am guilty of passing on some cows and raggy bulls . One bull in particular looked somewhat sick. Another I drew my recurve and unconsciously must not have had my heart in it because I short drew and shot under his belly.
At the moment I am going to drop the string on my first opportunity. You guys are right- you can't eat an animal that you let walk by. My family gave me the word- fill the freezer or I am out on the street!