First CO archery elk hunt

cmenard01

FNG
This is my first CO archery elk hunt ( I have a bear tag too)I head up on Friday with a guide. Normally , I would prefer to hunt without but thought it would be a good to learn from those more experienced than me since I'm from the Mid West.

My goal is to have a good time with or without a bull. Live, learn , and enjoy the adventure. I've heard and have read that hunters are not seeing as much activity. Can anyone else confirm? We will be around 9000ft but I have also heard most activity is lower.

Some advice that was given to me. "Don't pass up an opportunity on the first day that you would be happy the last day". I'm sure I'll have a great time no matter what over the 7 days we will be out. Is it worth passing up a cow if that is what I have an appt to do? With white tails , I'll pass until the last week. Since I'm only here for a week what's the best advice or encouragement anyone has?

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

I would say with a guide you should pass on a cow/spike until you have to. you pay those guys to put you on elk. if it was a DIY it would be a whole different scenario

mavinwa2

WKR
Res WA ST, winter>Gilbert AZ , NR>AZ, UT, NM, CO.
if you start hunting Friday, you only have 6 days not 7 before season closes.
unless this is a permit/select unit hunt, OTC shoot first good bull you see within your effective range.

in heavily pressured OTC SW units, 3x3, 3x4 or better goes down first 3 days.
any elk for me after that, just to fill the freezer with $700+ license & tag dollars of meat.
I should note, my hunts are always 9 days of hunting in OTC season.

OP
cmenard01

cmenard01

FNG
Sorry. It's a 5 day hunt. With one day packing in and one packing out. Thanks for the advice.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

"Don't pass up an elk on opening day that you would gladly take closing day".

I would say, that's true...as long as you've decided what your standard is. If any bull is your goal, shoot it. But if your goal is 300+ then hold off. The other consideration is how much elk are you seeing? If you see a ton then you can be picky, if you haven't seen any and some raghorn comes in, take him!

I'm a shoot-the-first-legal-bull kind of hunter so I wouldn't pass anything any day :). But I think it's important to decide what your goal is and be a bit picky. That's my advice.

bowhuntrben

Lil-Rokslider
I’d pass on day 1. I’d pass for quite a while with a guide. Use your time to learn from them so you’ll be better equipped on your own next time

See how the hunt goes the first day or two. If you are seeing elk every day it may be worth holding out for a few days. My guess is if you really want a bull you’ll hold out, plenty are killed in last day or two of season. If you just want to harvest an elk, and go a few days without seeing elk, anything will start looking good.

Good luck bud! Went on my first trip this season as well and had a blast. Guide is definitely the way to go. You can see from the pic I came back to Louisiana a happy man