First Colorado elk hunt advice

Bryan87

FNG
70 would be decent unit especially if winter hits early. They will move into the lower ground. It is also within easy driving of 71 and 711 both are full of decent public land with a variety of elevation change that is critical for those rifle hunts since you never know about the snow. It will probably be busy anywhere you pick so get off the roads and like someone else mentioned, don’t be intimidated or stuck to any one spot.

OP
R

RobertsA

FNG
High altitude masks are a total joke and waste of time. Buy one for halloween, don't use one at the gym, you will simply look like a wanna be.

Elite athletes that truly want the benefit of more red blood cells often actually train at LOWER altitude so they have access to MORE oxygen so they can exert as much power as possible over their daily training cycle. Then they LIVE, SLEEP and RECOVER at high altitude in order to get the benefit due to the lower partial pressure of oxygen making the body create a higher red blood cell count.

Those dumb ass masks simply limit your ability to train as hard as you can. You have to live at high altitude to build a substantially higher red blood cell count.

Sorry to be so coarse, those masks are f'n stupid
No need to be sorry I appreciate the advice. Being in Florida it really isn’t possible to do the workout you mentioned so regular weights and the treadmill will just have to suffice.

OP
R

RobertsA

FNG
Scouting this year has been a mess with all the snow. I'm a month behind in my efforts. Some places the elk aren't even showing up for calving season because the snow was still too deep when they were dropping their calves. With all of this water the elk will be spread out because feed and water will be everywhere. Some say the elk are really putting on the weight because the feed is so good. I can believe it. The other key thing I found this year is fallen trees. The bark beetle came through here about 5 years ago and did some real damage. Trees have been falling at a steady rate until this year. The ground is so soft even healthy trees are falling (mostly aspen). I would plan to avoid the beetle killed areas. You can see them on Google Earth. Good luck.
Alright awesome thank you for the information!

OP
R

RobertsA

FNG
So we’re beginning to consider flying and then renting a vehicle once we’re there because it’s nearly the same cost as the gas to drive about 24 hours all the way there. I’m thinking we may just buy the food we’ll need once we get there and even buy a smaller size tent once we are there. The one we have currently is about 20-30 pounds which I would think is too heavy to really carry along on a hike. Thinking about getting a couple of extremely small 1-2 person tents and bringing those along for the sake of packing light. Anyone have any reason this may not workout?

Marble

WKR
Ok good to know ! What’s the best strategy for dark timber ?
I travel the edge of the timber until I see good sign leading into it. If I dont see anything interesting, I follow the the easiest walking path (because that's how elk move through the woods) and use my binos to pick eveything apart while going thru the woods. I wear gloves and use one walking stick. The gloves keeps the pitch off of my hands and the stick helps me step really soft so I can sneak. I've killed 6 bulls doing this since 2009. They are usually in their bed, or the herd gets up and the bulls waits just a moment to see where the lead cow goes. Then he is dead.

Marble

WKR
So we’re beginning to consider flying and then renting a vehicle once we’re there because it’s nearly the same cost as the gas to drive about 24 hours all the way there. I’m thinking we may just buy the food we’ll need once we get there and even buy a smaller size tent once we are there. The one we have currently is about 20-30 pounds which I would think is too heavy to really carry along on a hike. Thinking about getting a couple of extremely small 1-2 person tents and bringing those along for the sake of packing light. Anyone have any reason this may not workout?
Are you back packing in?

No need to be sorry I appreciate the advice. Being in Florida it really isn’t possible to do the workout you mentioned so regular weights and the treadmill will just have to suffice.
One word - BLEACHERS

Treadmill ain't gonna get your legs ready for the mountain.

Flying and renting a car is doable. But you had better have a plan in case you get lucky and trip and fall over an elk. You'll have 200+ lbs. of meat to deal with then.

Bolo4u

FNG
Ive hunted OTC elk in the Montrose, Kremling, Meeker, and Rico areas of Colorado, and later this year an OTC hunt on private lease property near Parachute. Keep in mind a lot of the OTC units will have generally easy access and you'll see weekend hunters (locals) and road hunters. One hunt, out of meeker, we were on quads and had checked an area, only to see nothing. We were headed down, and stopped to have lunch, when a local deer-only hunter stopped and asked if any of us had an elk tag, we did, He pointed to one he had seen about one ridge over from were we were eating, and within about 200 yards, needless to say we filled that tag. Don't be afraid to park and walk in 2-3 miles on the road or trail. It can be difficult if you're going in blind (not being able to scout before season) and it can take a couple days to get your bearings for a given area, so you'll be hunt-scouting lol. Have fun, be patient and find a good spot to let others push them to you.

I live in Florida and do 4-5 western hunts a year. I drive for some, fly for some, depending on animal/schedule. If you have any questions shoot me a message, maybe I could help, specifically with travel/logistics since I’ve been forced to deal with that a lot. I will tell you one thing, it’s hard to get in mountain shape living in a swamp! Best system I’ve been able to come up with is the stair stepper at gym, there is a reason all those tiny women are on it, it will kick your butt. Treadmill on incline at brisk pace, doesn’t do to much for cardio but gets your legs/calves used to walking incline. Also, don’t grab the bars or top of treadmill while doing it like everyone else in the gym, they don’t seem to realize this almost negates the incline by squaring up your shoulders. Then weight pack walks 2-3 times a week around your neighborhood. Again, won’t prepare you for walking up a mountain but it does get your shoulders conditioned for bearing the load.

OP
R

RobertsA

FNG
One word - BLEACHERS

Treadmill ain't gonna get your legs ready for the mountain.

Flying and renting a car is doable. But you had better have a plan in case you get lucky and trip and fall over an elk. You'll have 200+ lbs. of meat to deal with then.
Yea that’s a good point. What would you recommend for that situation?

OP
R

RobertsA

FNG
Are you back packing in?

Yes. Most likely camp back at the truck but will be bringing small tents in our pack in the event we find elk close to night fall. Seems that’s what most experienced hunters have done. Correct me if I’m wrong

OP
R

RobertsA

FNG
I live in Florida and do 4-5 western hunts a year. I drive for some, fly for some, depending on animal/schedule. If you have any questions shoot me a message, maybe I could help, specifically with travel/logistics since I’ve been forced to deal with that a lot. I will tell you one thing, it’s hard to get in mountain shape living in a swamp! Best system I’ve been able to come up with is the stair stepper at gym, there is a reason all those tiny women are on it, it will kick your butt. Treadmill on incline at brisk pace, doesn’t do to much for cardio but gets your legs/calves used to walking incline. Also, don’t grab the bars or top of treadmill while doing it like everyone else in the gym, they don’t seem to realize this almost negates the incline by squaring up your shoulders. Then weight pack walks 2-3 times a week around your neighborhood. Again, won’t prepare you for walking up a mountain but it does get your shoulders conditioned for bearing the load.
Ive hunted OTC elk in the Montrose, Kremling, Meeker, and Rico areas of Colorado, and later this year an OTC hunt on private lease property near Parachute. Keep in mind a lot of the OTC units will have generally easy access and you'll see weekend hunters (locals) and road hunters. One hunt, out of meeker, we were on quads and had checked an area, only to see nothing. We were headed down, and stopped to have lunch, when a local deer-only hunter stopped and asked if any of us had an elk tag, we did, He pointed to one he had seen about one ridge over from were we were eating, and within about 200 yards, needless to say we filled that tag. Don't be afraid to park and walk in 2-3 miles on the road or trail. It can be difficult if you're going in blind (not being able to scout before season) and it can take a couple days to get your bearings for a given area, so you'll be hunt-scouting lol. Have fun, be patient and find a good spot to let others push them to you.
Ah ok makes sense. So I must ask what is the average distance a person should walk before saying it’s pointless to go farther? Should we set camp where ever we find ourselves at the end of the day and keep looking deeper or keep coming back to the truck each day? I guess really my question is how far off a road should be my max distance ?

Bolo4u

FNG
Ah ok makes sense. So I must ask what is the average distance a person should walk before saying it’s pointless to go farther? Should we set camp where ever we find ourselves at the end of the day and keep looking deeper or keep coming back to the truck each day? I guess really my question is how far off a road should be my max distance ?

That's all up to you. We've only ever had our base at a rental house or hotel/motel and done before sunrise - after sunset outings. The further in you go with nothing (except camp and supplies) to then go further in to hunt, is how for out you have to pack ~if~ you have success. As another said, if you fly/rent you have to figure out getting it all back home.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Last edited:
Outdoor Geek is on the way from the airport. I’m sure you can get what you need from them. Just go have fun. You will figure out the elk if you keep a good attitude and have fun along the way.

Elk are where you find them. No set distance to have in mind. If you find some right next to the highway, then hunt them (provided it's legal) because if you don't, someone will. There is no rule saying you have to kill one "5 miles back" as you often read here.

The most elk I've gotten into have all been within 1 mile of a busy county road or highway. Three years ago, I spent days glassing two herds that were never more than a mile from a very busy road, and never saw a single hunter chasing them. This was during bow season and I was scouting for ML season. Once ML season started, we were in those elk for 3 days before they moved to harder-to-reach places but even those weren't more than 2 miles in - just steeper.

My buddy killed his first bull less than 1/2 mi. from a 2-track road on BLM land, and that very morning I watched two legal bulls cross the gravel county road that led to our campsite in a wide open sage flat. Those two bulls could be seen for miles and there were no hunters around other than me, sitting there watching them with a cow tag in my pocket.

Just go, find elk, if you aren't in elk then move and if you kill one, then figure out how to deal with it. If you're reasonably intelligent, you will figure it out. As for supplies, even in the most remote parts of Colorado (I'm sure the AK guys laugh when they read that), you're never more than an hour from an outdoor store that will have whatever you need. So the biggest part is just getting in shape and then keeping a positive attitude. The rest will follow.

GotDraw?

WKR
Some general stuff to keep in mind...

Leg strength MUST be your primary focus, even above cardio. Backcountry hunting is nothing more than walking/hiking for miles with a heavy pack at altitude.

Cardio?? You can always rest and catch your breath if you get winded, but if you simply don't have the leg strength to repeatedly climb/descend with a loaded pack, then once your legs are burning and blown out you will not hunt. Period. You will lose stability and greatly increase the chance of injury from fall or torn muscle. Lack of leg strength is an absolute deal breaker.

Find a gym with a rotary stair climber. Put on a pack that weighs 50% of your anticipated load. Climb that friggin stair climber 3-4x/week for 45-60 min. Take a break to towel off and hit some water every 15 min. The last month before the hunt, increase pack weight to full load and increase time to 60-80 minutes. You do not need to haul ass on the stair climber, keep a steady pace and grind it out. This will also get your back and core muscles used to carrying a load.

If your hunting boots are heavy, wear 3-4 lbs of ankle weights on each leg while on the stair climber. You will thank me later.

At least 2x/week- Squats, walking lunges carrying dumbells (until exhausted). Road bike interval sprints are also great. Do some stretching of your hamstrings 3x/week over these coming weeks. Tight hamstrings= injury and they also impede your ability to climb.

Get a set of good insoles for your boots, I use SOLE brand, Dean Karnazas model, they are heat-moldable. These will give your full foot support in your boot. MOST importantly though, the way they mold to the underside of foot in the arch area will lock your foot in the boot and keep your foot from sliding forward when you descend in steep terrain. Toe-jam, from steep descents will cause lost toenails and THAT, my friend will end your hunt pretty quickly.

Figure out how you're going to keep your boots dry. It may not rain, but there will be heavy dewfall in the mornings and wet grass can soak your lower pants legs, then your exposed socks and wick into your boots. Keep your feet dry and use top quality wool socks, carry a spare set or two and change them midday if needed. I use SmartWool PhD hiker/mid weight. Love them.

Get trekking poles and learn to use them.

Backcountry hunting can be has hard as anything you ever imagined. It will challenge your mind, your will and your body. There will be times when you will feel you're in a wrestling match with a superior wrestler who could pin you in an instant, but instead is having a great time stacking up points and grinding you into the mat just to beat on you and exhaust you. When that happens, find a log, sit down and eat a powerbar or somesuch while you catch your breath, adjust the attitude and keep going.

Good luck,

JL

I am in AL and workout on bleachers 3x/week...…..up and down, skip a row, walk diagonally down/up, keeps it interesting and learns to balance with 50# on your back......
Bleachers are the bomb. You can walk them, skip steps, run them, sidestep them, hand walk them, and probably several things I haven't tried yet.. And best of all they are free. ;)