First Colorado Elk Hunt / Which Boots to Bring?

Mfritts

FNG
My CC just got hit yesterday for Colorado Cow Elk tag! Area will be GMU - 11/12/13/24/33. This is my first hunt in Colorado and it is is first rifle season OCT 16th. I currently own 2 possibly capable pieces of footwear. 10 yr old pair of Irish Setter Trail Phantoms (9" boot w/ 600g insulation) and my hikers which are OBOZ Bridger low cuts. Is the tall insulated boot needed in October? Will using gaiters with my low cut hikers be an adequate solution, and if so which gaiters are recommended? Thanks for any input / experience.

CoStick

WKR
Bring both,the low cut with gaiters might not provide enough support depending how you hunt and the insulated may be too hot. The insulated might also not be warm enough, CO weather is unpredictable, have a great hunt!

OP
M

Mfritts

FNG
That was part of the plan. The plan is to pack in a few miles and set camp. I can always leave other boots back at the truck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CoStick

WKR
Depending on your budget getting a pair of new boots to fit your needs might really help. No insulation or 200 high boots would be the sweet spot.

ndforbes

FNG
I agree with CoStick. I have hunted first season in 70 degree sunshine, 10 degree snow, and everything in between. I only wear my insulated boots if I absolutely have to. I find that my Crispi Idaho (uninsulated) boots work great for 95% of it.

Marble

WKR
I agree with CoStick. I have hunted first season in 70 degree sunshine, 10 degree snow, and everything in between. I only wear my insulated boots if I absolutely have to. I find that my Crispi Idaho (uninsulated) boots work great for 95% of it.
I'm the same.

In CO I only west my insulated boots in October. I do not like gaiters for two reasons. First I have huge feet and most gaiters won't fit correctly over the boot. Second, my calves are also huge and gaiters normally don't fit over them either.

I have hunted in all levels of snow and rarely find myself needing them. If you are of trail primarily, then they are more of a necessity. But the snow has to be substantial.

I will not go into the high county with a low boot or tennis shoes. Ever.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

AM_Hunter

Lil-Rokslider
I hunted 16/161 last year for first rifle. Surprise storm came in just before the hunt and I found myself packing into my camp in knee high snow. My boots were 'water resistant' but my feet did end up getting wet and really cold because of it. Like I had to stop and set up camp early because my feet had gone completely numb. Even after everything dried out I found my feet still getting cold when I would sit to glass. Been trying to figure out if I should get insulated boots for first rifle this year or if its not worth it. Was looking at 400g insulated just cuz I dont want my feet getting cold again. Would it be wiser to get some 200g insulated boots that are water proof?

yfarm

WKR
If you have cold feet while glassing or stand hunting, Arctic Shield boot covers, buy one size larger than your size would call for.
Did a NM elk hunt last year with a surprise cold front and blizzard, wore uninsulated Lathrop Mtn hunter with the covers on and had comfortable feet in the snow in the 20s at 10,000 ft., Other option over your boots are insulated Neos overshoes, used with running shoes inside for dog mushers in the north. 400g is nothing if your feet are immersed in snow constantly and not moving.

Triple d

FNG
I was in a similar situation last year and ended up biting the bullet on new pair of boots. I got schnees bearthooths and used them last year in CO. Probably one of my best investments I’ve made when it comes to hunting. The oboz stayed back at the truck.

ccarter

FNG
I agree. I wear uninsulated 8" hiking boots almost all the time. My experience is that when it's cold and I put on my 400 gram Meindls, my feet are still cold and I have a heavier boot to hike around in.

Pac boots are warm, but I hate to hike in them. Generally, if my feet get too cold, I hike a little ways and they warm back up. That said, a good, quality 7-9" boot with no or very little insulation would probably be the ticket. Just make sure they're waterproof in case you get some snow.

AM_Hunter

Lil-Rokslider
I went with some Schnees Beartooth II with 200g of insulation. Figured 200g isnt too much insulation but still something.

Kstitz

FNG
I quit wearing insulated boots 3 years ado when I realized that the reason my feet were always cold was due to them sweating. I have hunted 3 & 4th rifle seasons in CO and have never had cold feet since switching.

OP
M

Mfritts

FNG
Glad to see the thread brought back to life. My experience last year was:

Ended up buying a pair of Scarpa Maverick Mid GTX boots (uninsulated) and broke them in during my training rucks before the hunt. First day on the ground in Colorado our area was recovering from early snow storm. On our hike up from trailhead we found very slick muddy trails (daily outfitter pack-trains and melting snow didn’t help) and 2 unexpected creek crossings (rookie mistake). Managed to take on a little water in one boot during crossing. First night temps dropped to 10F and my feet were feeling it as we broke down camp next morning. Key take always: make sure your waterproof boots are truly waterproof, after a few hours in the wet snow and mud they began to bleed through daily. If you know you have feet that get cold easily, a little insulation won’t hurt. I won’t go back without a pair of gaiters incase we hit the same weather conditions. Outfitters horses jack up trails and suck to hike behind when conditions are wet.
Good Luck

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last year, I picked up some Zamberland’s right before the season. I did not realize how much they need to be hiked in to break them in. I have never had blisters - until that hunt. It was brutal. So… make sure you wear them in well - whatever you get!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

ttjjpp

FNG
My CC just got hit yesterday for Colorado Cow Elk tag! Area will be GMU - 11/12/13/24/33. This is my first hunt in Colorado and it is is first rifle season OCT 16th. I currently own 2 possibly capable pieces of footwear. 10 yr old pair of Irish Setter Trail Phantoms (9" boot w/ 600g insulation) and my hikers which are OBOZ Bridger low cuts. Is the tall insulated boot needed in October? Will using gaiters with my low cut hikers be an adequate solution, and if so which gaiters are recommended? Thanks for any input / experience.
i really like my danners - in fact I always take 2 pairs..