First Coues

Some things about this hunt.

Temperature extremes 28-70 degrees. Need to have flexibility in your clothing kit.

Be willing to move if you don’t see a ton of sign. I saw more deer where people where not hunting because the area probably looked not remote enough. I think you go way deep or less than others. Deer know where the pressure is. I was in great looking spots with very little deer.

Damn fitness still not good enough. Better, but still needs work. The deer weight was manageable, but I had to plow through a bunch of catclaw to reach a trail and that pushes you,especially if it’s warm.

Keep learning, I don’t need a lot of stuff in my pack.

I learned I hate bino harness solutions for range finders. They all suck.

I really like the Kifaru Muskeg and Ultralight frame combo. I was in the rain for a solid 4 hours and it worked great.

I learned stalking in socks in the desert is quite painful. And stalking is very difficult due to the crunch crunch of the desert gravel. It took me an hour going a step at a time to go the last 200 yards to get in this bucks neighborhood.

I learned that Javelina aren’t around every turn as much as folks lead you to believe, my tag went unfilled even though I was constantly trying to find them.

Ron

Curious as to what the issue was with the ranger and bino harness. What system were you running?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
hflier

hflier

WKR
I was running Alaskan Guide Creations this trip and used the front pocket. I have run them all though and while they all work, they flop around, are noisy and take up too much room.

Osprey

Lil-Rokslider
Way to get it done. I took my first coues this year as well. This was my second time hunting them. They are a tough animal to hunt especially if your a non resident going diy. I got respect for the coues and the areas they call home.

I was running Alaskan Guide Creations this trip and used the front pocket. I have run them all though and while they all work, they flop around, are noisy and take up too much room.

Have you tried the marsupial?

MAT

Lil-Rokslider
They are extra special deer for sure. I leave tomorrow for my 4th attempt at one in AZ...with a recurve. Call me crazy. No really call me crazy!