First day scouting, 12 doe, no bucks

Jonny360

FNG
New hunter and this is my first time drawing a tag. Today was my first day scouting, partly was just checking out terrain, was only glassing here and there between 2-5pm. I was surprised to see so many doe up and wandering around. From the reading i'd done I expected to only see deer bedded down during that time if I saw any at all. Are does more willing to get up and feed during the day compared to bucks? I was around 10,000ft scouting here in the eastern sierras. I've read that bucks might be above timberline, but most everything above timber is just bare granite. I did some glassing of granite areas that had some scattered trees or brush. So far only sighted does in the valleys and hillside sage. Are the bucks really up above tree line? Or where there are does are there also bucks during first and last light?20200620_164649.jpg

Try to find an area with the most lush, green looking vegetation. A lot of times this will be below fresh melting snow. The last eastern Sierra deer I killed was at 11200ft feeding on lush growth below a melting snow bank. Keep looking you’re on the path to success

Does have little mouths to feed so they'll be out during daylight more often this time of year. In the areas I'm familiar with mature bucks and does with fawns won't be together during the summer.

street

WKR
I saw 3 bucks in one day out. Decent amouny of does. Bucks were out until about 10am, and back up around 4pm from what I observed.

Scottr479

FNG
Im also a new hunter and going out with my son to scout for archery elk in September. Really just trying to learn the ropes and hope to see signs of anything.

Finding the same troubles here in Washington on my first high hunt scouting trip. Just seeing does and fawns lower in the burn scars from previous fires. Gonna have to get above the timber and glass at dusk I guess

wytx

WKR
Bucks are in bachelor groups right now and doe are grouped to raise their fawns.