First Digiscoping pics...

So this week I recieved my new spotting scope. The Vortex Viper HD 15-45 65mm straight model, with a new Rocketfish 47" carbon fiber tripod. I also recieved my Tines Up digiscoping kit (hopefully next week my Kifaru T1!). Was out playing with it and thought you would like to see some pictures. Its a super easy system to use and figure out. I had the camera set for a custom 4 second timer.

While this is not considered top of the line glass, I'm impressed with the picture quality I'm able to get out of this combination!

This orchard/tractor is right around 1200 yards away...
Test4.jpg

Test5.jpg

This big pine tree is around 1300 yds...
Test3.jpg

This clearing is right under 2 miles away
Test1.jpg

Mike

OP
HellsCanyon
The ski resort above the house is right at 6.5 miles away... I try to hike these runs once a week from here till the season gets here!
IMG_0008.jpg

Thats it for now... what do you think?

Mike

Matt Cashell

Administrator
Staff member
I think it is looking pretty darn good!

At those distances in sunny conditions, mirage is a real issue. I bet you will get some really sharp pics right before dark when the atmosphere is really stable.

dotman

WKR
Not bad at all!

Here is what my first attempt with the Minox MD50 was like. The bird house with the little bird above was at around 350 yards.
OpenWaterGoose5.jpg

Birdabovebirdhouse.jpg

Minox2.jpg

Last edited:
OP
HellsCanyon
Matt,

You are dead on with the mirage issue. Its 80* out right now and I was definitely seeing it through the scope... I'm really digging this setup thats for sure! Want to go back and re-read your article on camera settings. I have the camera with macro on to allow easier focusing, still want to play with apeture settings and shutter speeds. Or should I just leave the camera on Auto?

Really can't wait to get some videos on here. And its weird, but with this setup in the field, I guarantee you that I'll be more likely to pass up smaller bucks waiting for Mr. Big. Having the memories of deer that I could've stalked and most likely killed is almost as good as having them on the wall imho and will make it easier to hold off on the trigger! :)

Mike

Matt Cashell

Administrator
Staff member
If your camera has an aperture priority mode, give it a try. Just set the aperture at its most open setting (lowest F-number). The camera will then choose the best shutter speed. I have had the best luck with that setting in cameras that have it. My WX1 doesn't have an aperture priority mode, so it is all auto for me with that camera.

I am looking into the Nikon V1 more and more lately, though ...

OP
HellsCanyon
Dotman,
Those aren't too bad! I think an angled spotter like you have would be better for digiscoping. I noticed that the added camera/adapter weight put just a touch too much leverage on the rocketfish ball head and I have about 1/4 FOV shift up from locking it down.

Matt,
Looks like the camera doesn't have an apeture adjustment. Only an exposure setting which seems to adjust brightness of the image. Oh well working good so far I'm sure I'll be happy with it on some animals!

Mike

dotman

WKR
Dotman,
Those aren't too bad! I think an angled spotter like you have would be better for digiscoping. I noticed that the added camera/adapter weight put just a touch too much leverage on the rocketfish ball head and I have about 1/4 FOV shift up from locking it down.

Matt,
Looks like the camera doesn't have an apeture adjustment. Only an exposure setting which seems to adjust brightness of the image. Oh well working good so far I'm sure I'll be happy with it on some animals!

Mike

I haven't notice it but my scope setup is under 2lbs also. Once you get used to it i'm sure a little adjustment before lockdown will be easy to account for. I wonder if that is common or if an expensive head will take care of the movement? I also was able to exclude the tines-up adapter, my camera lens fits perfectly in the eye cup for hands free picture taking but I didn't know that and free handed the above pics.

I think the 50 isn't going to be the best digiscoping spotter but hopefully I can upgrade and just use it for solo hunting.

Try some pics later tonight when there is less light, I have a feeling your pics will really pop then.

Matt Cashell

Administrator
Staff member
Angled scopes do support the camera much better than straight scopes. I started digiscoping with a straight Zeiss Diascope 65. It is one of several reasons that I prefer an angled spotter.

OP
HellsCanyon
Honestly I've messed with an angled scope and just couldn't get used to it! Too much time to get on target and just didn't like the feel. Most of my glassing is done from high vantage points too where I don't like the angle. Just my personal preference...

Mike

Matt Cashell

Administrator
Staff member
Yeah,

It is a preference thing for sure. I am stuck on angled now, though. I guess I am just obtuse ... ;)

Matt Cashell

Administrator
Staff member
Well guys, I have a Nikon J1 in hand now. I will need a step-down ring for my adapter, but we well have to see how she does! I will start a thread in the digiscoping section.

I wish the photos would load on my end... something with photobucket I think, our firewall won't allow it.. The Man is screwing me again :)

OP
HellsCanyon
I purchased the camera and adapter. The Canon powershot 100 I guess is getting discontinued so it was discounted as a kit!