First DIY Alaska Float hunt

00foreman

FNG
To those of you who have done a DIY Alaska moose float trip...

What outfitters did you use and would you recommend them again?

Anything you would do differently and any other advice you would give someone researching their first Alasa hunt?

Thanks in advance to everyone.

AKBorn

WKR
If you can book Larry Bartlett's hunt service - do it. He had a ton of personal knowledge across a broad expanse of rivers. Larry is a member on this forum and is usually booked a couple of years out, but maybe you are looking 2-3 years down the road anyway?

PMcGee

WKR
If you can book Larry Bartlett's hunt service - do it. He had a ton of personal knowledge across a broad expanse of rivers. Larry is a member on this forum and is usually booked a couple of years out, but maybe you are looking 2-3 years down the road anyway?

What he said.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
WE have never used an outfitter for float hunts, just tons of research and planning then arranging drop off and pick up. Theres several air services here where I live and plenty of bush pilots. A few times We got dropped off and picked up for the cost of gas.

The first few float hunts I went on were pretty short just trying to build confidence, I got dropped of ~ 30 miles up a river by a buddy with a jet boat and he picked me up a few days later, after a few of those in areas fairly close to home I started looking at maps more and making more plans. Float hunting for moose and caribou is awesome, I love sheep hunting but if I had to pick one, rafting for moose and caribou would probably be it.

do your research, and I mean lots of research, not just where to hunt, but how to get the animal out of the bush to the village, out of the village to a town with commercial services. From Alaska to your home. there is more to the hunt than that, but you get the idea. Getting meat out of the bush can be real expensive. Yes there are cargo planes everywhere, but will your meat be sitting on the tarmac for a couple of days and than the local dogs come and chew on it, ect, ect .

I’m going on my first Moose Float trip this September. All DIY planned and researched on my own. There are several books that can get you started. Like said above Larry Bartlett on here is an incredible source along with his books and videos. Micheal Strahan is another good source. It’s been 2 years of researching and planning and IMO if it’s a first time hunt it would be really tough to get it all planned out in less than about 20-24 months.

AKDoc

WKR
Alaska is an absolutely wondrous hunter's destination, but Alaska can be very unforgiving for the poorly prepared...and even the well prepared. You are being wise to seek as much information as you can in advance, and to know your limitations.

Some real good information from others thus far. Larry and Michael are great resources...there are differences in their approach and emphasis, but there is much to learn from them. I'm a fan of Larry's inflatables, and have bought two. Float trips are my favorite experiences...it's always an adventure for sure. I have a one-hundred mile float scheduled this fall for fly-fishing and brown bear.

Regarding transporters, I've used Renfro for the past six years, and I am very happy. He also does outfitting as well.

A post ahead of me referenced meat care and transporting, which I want to reiterate. The remoteness of Alaska not only requires intentional preplanning for personal safety, but one must keep in mind that there is literally a boat-load of meat that you must get out of the field...and it must be consumable. Any loss of salvageable meat could be a crime...and wanton waste in Alaska is a felony.

Have fun planning and anticipating sir...Alaska is quite the unique experience...even for those of us who live here!

Last edited:

E Butler

Lil-Rokslider
My buddy and I used Larry’s services this year and had a awesome time. We both shot moose and caribou on our 115 mile float. I used archery equipment and my buddy used a rifle. Things I would do differently would be a lot shorter hunt so you can do more hunting and less floating and bring less equipment. We paid the extra one price for everything flight and it was well worth it not having to take care of meat the whole trip.