First DIY Backpack Hunt

OP
C

cured_ham

WKR
How important is the difference in buckle configurations?

Camofire has been my best friend. I check daily. It great.

FWIW I agree with the Exo recommendation. It’s hard to beat their system for attaching/detaching bag to/from the frame. I also love the compression straps integrated into the frame. I run the crib on mine, just a solid system. I hope you have a great hunt!

OP
C

cured_ham

WKR
Thanks for the info! I will check out the Exo lines. I am in the process of planning it and will do everything I can to make it a great one!

jcostanza

FNG
I was just having this dilemma as well. I went to a couple sportsman’s expos and was able to try a few on. I liked being able to try them on to see if I liked them or not. The right fit will be different for everyone. I found the exo packs to be the best for me. They’re pricey but you get what you pay for. Hope this helps. Good luck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
C

cured_ham

WKR
I have a backpacking store near my office. I will try to stop by and try some on. Hopefully they have some of the brands you all have recommended.

I dont really have anything to compare it to, but I bought an Exo 5500 for my first elk hunt out west. I like it and it fits me well, but like I said I dont have anything to compare it to other than the ol' Army rucksack.

OP
C

cured_ham

WKR
I may need to give Exo another look. I haven't found anyone who doesn't like them

Personally i think EXO is the best, but Stone glacier is good also. I had a Kuiu pack and i might as well used a jansport.

You can find the metcalf right now for 367. I would go for that and use the 300 saved for other equipment that you might need.

OP
C

cured_ham

WKR
I definitely like the idea of the metcalf price point. Is it worth the savings to go with the 2019 vs 2020 model?

With price being a concern I would buy the 2019 and enjoy the savings. At full price I would just go with a Kifaru or EXO because in reality that aren't much more.

hikenhunt

WKR
Do your best to try some of these packs on with some weight to see how they feel on YOUR back. If you can't, pick one and if it doesn't fit well, take advantage of the return policy before you abuse it.

mactastic

FNG
Thanks for the tip. This looks like it may be what I need. I found a couple Terraframe80 on sale at backcountry and REI. How do I make sure it is the model that has the GL frame?

The new Guide Light MT frame has PALS webbing on the belt. The old frame does not.

Mstayrook

FNG
Does anyone have an recommendations on a pack for 5 days complete backpacking. I was thinking the kifaru reckoning. What add ons would anyone recommend? Is there another kifaru bag that may be better with add ons? Thanks!

Pscott19

FNG
Buy top quality used. I would focus on kifaru and exo. Look for something along the lines of a kifaru reckoning with a duplex frame or Exo 5500 on the K2 or K3 frame. They both come up used regularly. You'll be getting high end packs and save a bit of money. Gear guys like gear and upgrade often.....
Yup