First DIY Bear hunt

Cb750

FNG
This year I decided to do my first DIY bear hunt. Last year I went to a buddies hunt camp and saw a total of Zero bears. Other than that I have no bear hunting experience.

I put baits out on Sunday. Checked them today, one has been hit every night. I'm guessing the bear is young and small. Perhaps this is its first fall on it's own. I took a few pics from the trail cam. Any thoughts on the age/sex of this bear. The angle is s bit misleading as well. The bait is on a hill with a small rock wall behind it.
Resized_20200820_165119.jpgResized_20200820_165441.jpegResized_20200819_144759(1)(1).jpgResized_20200820_154749.jpg

OP
C

Cb750

FNG
Here some better pictures from bait 2. Camera is elevated the ground is on a slight downslope away from the camera.
spypoint_614838711129218.jpgspypoint_614721691305669.jpg

ledflight

WKR
Bear looks to be about as tall as the bait barrel is wide - that should tell you something, right?
As an inexperienced judge, I would guess not too big based on its shape, lack of low hanging belly and ears don't look small - BUT I'd like to hear what experienced folk add!

Elkhntr08

WKR
Not a big bear IMO.
If I had that bear hitting a bait constantly, I’d put out a grease pit and let him bring other bears.
Dig up the ground around the barrel a little bit and dump fryer grease in it. He’ll walk around in it and track it out in the timber.

OP
C

Cb750

FNG
Yeah I didn't think either one looked too big, but being new figured I'd ask. On the second bear can you tell gender?

I poured about 3 gallons of fryer grease and a gallon of molasses in and around the barrel. I used a fallen branch to paint it on trees about 50yards there. Theres no way he left there without some of it on him. Some got on my new black ovis pants too, heard about that from the Mrs.... The pit idea I had not considered, thank you, I get more this week and head back up on the weekend and will try that.

Thanks again for the help I am still learning to judge bears.

Florida Bow Hunter

Lil-Rokslider
If I were to guess weight I’d say 250. He’s got plenty of body to put another 100 pounds on.

Certain things depend. Is it legal ? That’s first consideration.

Are you solely out for a monster or something to eat ?

Personally I’m just the eating hunter. The rug and mount is fine but it’s just not me. Older and fatter the bear gets, the more fatty and rank the meat gets too. I’ve found the answer to that using a pressure cooker, but that another topic.

FWIW, I haven’t eaten bear in maybe 5 or more years and can’t hunt them no matter what down here in Florida. So I have to travel out of state to bow hunt bear. Compare the meat to other out of state species and bear is about @ the bottom of edible species to eat imho.

I know people who die for bear meat. I just think it’s too dark and rich in fat. I prefer leaner meat. That’s just me.

Now if Florida opened a bear season like it should being we are inundated with bear inspite of their fake numbers surveys they have peta types doing for job protection, is arrow one and eat it ofcourse. But I prefer boar, turkey or deer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
C

Cb750

FNG
I have had bear from about 75km East of where this is. It was awesome! It's obviously a personal preference thing. For Fall it is 100% legal here. Season starts in about a week and a half. I do hunt for food as a priority but also believe the best bear to remove from here is a more mature boar. Those are the ones we tend to have more issues with based on what I have read.