First DIY idaho hunt next year....need a question answered

Crider89

FNG
Alright, a buddy and i are heading to idaho next year for a spike camp hunt. Our main goal is mule deer but we want to buy an elk tag also. What units allow an elk and deer hunt? Im not asking for the best unit or places to go, just the units that allow both tags in the same hunt. Ive been looking on the fish and game sites and other forums or articles without any luck. Any help would be appreciated.

What dates/weapon? Archery has tons of options, same dates.... Rifle limits you some, dates overlap to a point, depends on units

OP
C

Crider89

FNG
What dates/weapon? Archery has tons of options, same dates.... Rifle limits you some, dates overlap to a point, depends on units
We are taking rifles. Im definitely not used to how everything operates out there. Here in pa its simple, the whole state is the basically the same.

Elk zones are several game units lumped together. Look for the units that you want to hunt deer in and scroll over into the elk part of the regulations and see if that zone is open during your desired deer hunt. There aren't many that coincide, but there are a few.

OP
C

Crider89

FNG
Elk zones are several game units lumped together. Look for the units that you want to hunt deer in and scroll over into the elk part of the regulations and see if that zone is open during your desired deer hunt. There aren't many that coincide, but there are a few.
Ohh ok. Ill look at the site again. Thank you

Ohh ok. Ill look at the site again. Thank you
Generally, it's the other way around. Guys coming out for elk first and picking up a deer tag on secondary. Tags for NR's sold out fast this year, so keep that in mind.

OP
C

Crider89

FNG
Generally, it's the other way around. Guys coming out for elk first and picking up a deer tag on secondary. Tags for NR's sold out fast this year, so keep that in mind.
My buddy lives in kentucky and really wants a mule deer. I already have a muley but could take a bear instead. Id rather kill an elk so thats why im looking for elk and mule deer units. Yea i was reading about that. I told him last night that we need to buy our tags in like January. I read that in 2015 the tags sold out in december. We'll see how it works out. If we dont get tags in time we'll go to nebraska instead.

sneaky

"DADDY"
My buddy lives in kentucky and really wants a mule deer. I already have a muley but could take a bear instead. Id rather kill an elk so thats why im looking for elk and mule deer units. Yea i was reading about that. I told him last night that we need to buy our tags in like January. I read that in 2015 the tags sold out in december. We'll see how it works out. If we dont get tags in time we'll go to nebraska instead.
NR tag numbers are changing for 2021 and the price is going way up on a lot of tags. They go on sale Dec 1st. If you wait til January you'll probably be SOL.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

OP
C

Crider89

FNG
NR tag numbers are changing for 2021 and the price is going way up on a lot of tags. They go on sale Dec 1st. If you wait til January you'll probably be SOL.

I was reading about all that since i post that reply. We are now going to buy them when they go on sale. I believe they go onsale at 10 am. So that should be 12pm here. I think we figured it was going to be around 900 for everything.

I was reading about all that since i post that reply. We are now going to buy them when they go on sale. I believe they go onsale at 10 am. So that should be 12pm here. I think we figured it was going to be around 900 for everything.

With all of the changes they are considering, I’m not sure IDFG will be selling tags on Dec 1, I think they may wait until the commission approves the new rules in the spring, because they’ve talked a lot about breaking the deer tags into zones like they do with elk. Going to be interesting to see what happens

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

sneaky

"DADDY"
You'll be late then. Tags go on sale at midnight on Dec 1st, so it'll be 2am for you. There's not going to be a delay on the December 1st tag sale date unless they vote on that in the legislature and that isn't going to happen. Deer tags don't sell early like capped elk zone tags do anyways so that's a moot point. With the quota changes for elk, there will be a rush on those for sure when they go on sale. If you snooze you lose.

sneaky

"DADDY"
Im just going to call a warden and ask them whats going on.
Go right ahead, but NR license sales for the upcoming year go on sale at midnight on Dec 1st Mountain Time. The only time licenses go on sale at 10am MT are for residents, leftover tags, etc during the summer and after Aug 1st. Dec 1st tag sales are at midnight. Feel free to call IDFG and verify. If you wait til 10am on the 1st of December you'll have missed all of the high demand units with caps.

Go right ahead, but NR license sales for the upcoming year go on sale at midnight on Dec 1st Mountain Time. The only time licenses go on sale at 10am MT are for residents, leftover tags, etc during the summer and after Aug 1st. Dec 1st tag sales are at midnight. Feel free to call IDFG and verify. If you wait til 10am on the 1st of December you'll have missed all of the high demand units with caps.

Again though like I’ve said, with all the talk of changing quotas and limiting deer tags to zones vs a general deer tag, I’m guessing that Dec 1 is going to be more like April 1 of 2021

sneaky

"DADDY"
Again though like I’ve said, with all the talk of changing quotas and limiting deer tags to zones vs a general deer tag, I’m guessing that Dec 1 is going to be more like April 1 of 2021

Highly unlikely. And they can't change deer tags to zones without taking public comment. There's been zero mention of changing deer tags to zones in any official releases, to include their Annual Direction Documents. Fish and Game counts on that revenue coming in in December, there's no way they could delay that revenue stream until April or later and still meet their budgetary requirements. They receive zero dollars from the State's General Fund, their entire operating budget comes from license sales. That revenue stream in early December is a huge deal for them.

87TT

WKR
Highly unlikely. And they can't change deer tags to zones without taking public comment. There's been zero mention of changing deer tags to zones in any official releases, to include their Annual Direction Documents. Fish and Game counts on that revenue coming in in December, there's no way they could delay that revenue stream until April or later and still meet their budgetary requirements. They receive zero dollars from the State's General Fund, their entire operating budget comes from license sales. That revenue stream in early December is a huge deal for them.

Yeah, if they were going to or there was any way they might, they would have announced it already.