First Dog

Mtaylor

Lil-Rokslider
Hey guys, just wanted to post about my first bird dog. He was given to me by a friend in my October. He is 5 months old and I just shot my first bird over him this week. It has been a fun adventure so far. He is a GWP from Bachman Bay Kennels. Out of their “K” litter. Call name Bravo. He is mellow around the house love my kids and gets after it in the field. Also loves carrying things in his mouth, birds, metal hinges, staple gun, any thing he can pick up goes in his mouth! 😂
Do any of you experienced bird guys have sage advice from the school of hard knocks? The breeder has been good to answer questions and I am reading and listening to a lot of podcasts to learn how to train. So far my plan has been get him on as many wild birds as possible. I am going to run him in the NAVHDA NA test in June.

Thanks

MT

Attachments

• 3032E4CA-BAC1-4A6D-8425-AE3815BAA4DF.jpeg
    3032E4CA-BAC1-4A6D-8425-AE3815BAA4DF.jpeg
    447.6 KB · Views: 93
  • 075E40F9-46FC-4EF4-91F3-3DFE38A78A13.jpeg
    075E40F9-46FC-4EF4-91F3-3DFE38A78A13.jpeg
    375.7 KB · Views: 92
  • E83DC985-BCD6-4F98-A12D-37DF73C4A140.jpeg
    E83DC985-BCD6-4F98-A12D-37DF73C4A140.jpeg
    255 KB · Views: 88

Superdoo

WKR
Join the local NAVHDA chapter and go to the training nights.
Read “how to speed train your own gun dog”
Learn to read your dog
Stop on a good note and always try to stop early while it’s still fun
Always make training fun
Woah training will save your a$$
Crate training will save your valuables

enjoy the time! They don’t stay young very long.

slick

WKR
One of Finn’s pups!

I have a J litter Bachman Bay pup.
4a4cff7aa7f0a7b878ea124eae4aa8a7.jpg

My input- spend as much time as you can with your dog, correct him when he isn’t obedient, and get him on as many birds as possible.

Be patient with pointing and steadiness and be ok with only bagging birds he points or didn’t know existed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Awesome pup! I love my my Gwp's and Drahthaar's.
Your doing things right just keep it up. He'll be a great dog all around.

OP
M

Mtaylor

Lil-Rokslider
One of Finn’s pups!

I have a J litter Bachman Bay pup.
4a4cff7aa7f0a7b878ea124eae4aa8a7.jpg

My input- spend as much time as you can with your dog, correct him when he isn’t obedient, and get him on as many birds as possible.

Be patient with pointing and steadiness and be ok with only bagging birds he points or didn’t know existed.

Awesome!! I was going to get an I litter male but we had a puppy last spring so I called Dominic and told him I couldn’t handle another. Then he contacted me in October said he had an extra from Finns litter if I was interested. It was better timing so I grabbed him quick!

OP
M

Mtaylor

Lil-Rokslider
Get a Ruffland or better ASAP
That’s my plan, I have an old “pet porter” crate I have been using. He spends all night in it and is good with hanging out in it most of the day. The breeder hauled him everywhere as a pup with multiple dogs so he is good with the crate and travel

sndmn11

WKR
That’s my plan, I have an old “pet porter” crate I have been using. He spends all night in it and is good with hanging out in it most of the day. The breeder hauled him everywhere as a pup with multiple dogs so he is good with the crate and travel
I just mentioned it because of how you have the pet porter ratchet strapped in the truck bed. I think that is a gravely unforgiving way to transport your buddy, and it will bite you.

slick

WKR
[mention]Superdoo [/mention] I looked into them too, but they were harder to come by. Where are yours out of? Beautiful dogs

Bulldog2nine

Lil-Rokslider
Get involved in local NAVHDA Chapter, that info/experience will be priceless. Training him to pass a UT test will result in a "finished dog"

Gun Dog It Yourself podcast is a great value, some good reputable trainers on there.

Take it slow, small training sessions everyday for 5/10 min. I went too fast.

Take it easy on pen raised birds for training, trap or buy pigeons instead if you can.

Ask for a couple Dogtra launchers and an e collar from santa.

Let the dog be a dog.

enjoy!!

Bulldog

OP
M

Mtaylor

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks for the advice. I am really lucky to have access to lots of wild pheasant and quail. So we go for walks and lately I have been shooting a few times when they flush. My idea is the more wild bird encounters I can get him the better.

it has been fun!

WKR
Heel training has been important for me and teaches them some calmness too. Look up Stonnie Dennis Heel training on youtube. Have used his method twice in last 4 years and it really works well. Takes repetitions but I would work your way through it.

Michael54

WKR
Do the letter of the litter pertain to the sire or the dam? 11 litters seems a bit much on a female.