First eastern, public land VA

Finally got my first eastern after 2 years of close calls. I heard him gobbling in a creek bottom from his roost and made a good guess that he would pitch over to a ridge that I found some scratchings on during scouting. I made a big loop to set up on the ridge about 100 yards from him (I’ve spooked too many off the roost trying to get tight to them). One or two soft yelp sequences and he answered me, this time from the ground. He gobbled again just a minute later and I could tell he was coming up the ridge towards me. I scratched the leaves a few times to keep him interested. A minute later there he was in full strut at 30 yards. I slowly swung on him and flopped him good. I have to say it was quite the feeling, almost as good as killing a big buck!96768

fatlander

WKR
Congrats!!! Great story and beautiful bird!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Virginian

Lil-Rokslider
Congrats on your eastern bird. They're addicting. I killed my first one with my dad when I was 5 and can't wait for spring gobbler every year. Were you over here in the mtns or near Richmond?

OP
willfrye027
Congrats on your eastern bird. They're addicting. I killed my first one with my dad when I was 5 and can't wait for spring gobbler every year. Were you over here in the mtns or near Richmond?

Very addicting! I was an hour or so west of Richmond. I would really like to chase them up in the mountains, maybe next year ill take a week off or something like that.

Virginian

Lil-Rokslider
Very addicting! I was an hour or so west of Richmond. I would really like to chase them up in the mountains, maybe next year ill take a week off or something like that.

I'm about a hour out of Roanoke. We're surrounded by NF. Hit me up if you ever make it out this way. I haven't had a chance to get out yet this year

OP
willfrye027
I'm about a hour out of Roanoke. We're surrounded by NF. Hit me up if you ever make it out this way. I haven't had a chance to get out yet this year

That would be sweet! Let’s make it happen next spring I’d love to do some camping and mountain bird hunting

StefenB

FNG
Congrats! I've hunted them 16 years every season in VA and never bagged one. Contrariety to that statement, i'm not a terrible hunter but something about those about those birds... always black cloud over me come spring time. Nice work!

OP
willfrye027
Congrats! I've hunted them 16 years every season in VA and never bagged one. Contrariety to that statement, i'm not a terrible hunter but something about those about those birds... always black cloud over me come spring time. Nice work!

They are extremely difficult, lots of luck on my side for sure that morning