First Elk Hunt - 2022

Hey all, I'm new to western hunting, grew up chasing whitetails (watching them from a stand) and shooting ducks in upstate NY. I'm looking to grab an OTC Idaho elk tag and applying for a general Montana Elk tag and applying in Wyoming as well. Most of my hunting buddies are back East so it might be a struggle getting them out here. Just wondering if there's any forums on Rokslide for folks looking to connect with a hunting partner or group?

I'm planning on doing a week long backcountry hunt for this. If I'm able to get an Idaho or Montana tag, I'll definitely hunt solo but would be more comfortable going with someone else if I'll be in grizzly country.

crich

WKR
You may find someone who's in a similar situation closer to your hunt. Its inevitable that every year guys post on here about buddies that back out for one reason or another. Most guys I know and others on here that do a lot of backpack hunting are very selective about who they hunt with. Things can go sideways pretty quickly when emotions are high and sleep/energy levels are low. Welcome to the forum and good luck 👍

mxgsfmdpx

WKR
Out of state Idaho elk tag is insanely priced now. Their website crashed last year on multiple guys when they had tags in their cart ready to pay. It’s an absolute shit show.

Trust me look closer to home. A neighbor, a coworker, the mailman! Someone you can get to know a little bit before popping the question. Mountain hunting isn’t far everyone. It’s serious business and some guys can’t handle the blood sweat and tears. The wrong partner can ruin a hunt. Life can get miserable and your hunt could even end early. Do your homework and find the best man for the job. Good luck.

OP
Snagletoothtiger
You may find someone who's in a similar situation closer to your hunt. Its inevitable that every year guys post on here about buddies that back out for one reason or another. Most guys I know and others on here that do a lot of backpack hunting are very selective about who they hunt with. Things can go sideways pretty quickly when emotions are high and sleep/energy levels are low. Welcome to the forum and good luck 👍
good advice and thank you!

OP
Snagletoothtiger
Trust me look closer to home. A neighbor, a coworker, the mailman! Someone you can get to know a little bit before popping the question. Mountain hunting isn’t far everyone. It’s serious business and some guys can’t handle the blood sweat and tears. The wrong partner can ruin a hunt. Life can get miserable and your hunt could even end early. Do your homework and find the best man for the job. Good luck.
downside of living in Seattle. Most of my extended network I've made through adulthood have not been folks that enjoy or want to learn how to hunt. Appreciate the advice though and I may just be going solo until I can convince some buddies to take some time off and make the trip.

OP
Snagletoothtiger
Out of state Idaho elk tag is insanely priced now. Their website crashed last year on multiple guys when they had tags in their cart ready to pay. It’s an absolute shit show.

Yeah, I heard about that. Still gonna try though!

OP
Snagletoothtiger
If you have to convince them it is likely not going to end well.
I mean, going from New York to Montana/Colorado/Idaho with limited time off a year and family is gonna take some convincing or persuasion for anyone. Takes a lot of time and ain't cheap but I get what you're saying.

NorthernHunter

Lil-Rokslider
Our first backcountry hunt went great until we had 2 days of rain and then 4ft of snow over 4 days. Digging trenches in freezing temps while rivers run under your hot tent sucks. Great memories with the right partner but miserable with the wrong one. Expect failure the first few trips. You could get lucky but there is a 95% you will see nothing. I wish you the best luck but it is a monumental task to complete. I could give a guy an exact location here and he would still fail a few years before success. Pick an area and just get out there.

sterlryu

FNG
You said you're based in Seattle? I grew up in Western NY and based in Seattle. Newer hunter, but took my first elk in Idaho solo hunting this year (spike during archery season) and picked up an Idaho tag for next year. Feel free to reach out.

Sean250R

FNG
Good luck man, have tried OTC a few times and it is unbelievably hard, frustrating at times but always rewarding. From an Ohio deer hunter’s perspective

OP
Snagletoothtiger
Good luck man, have tried OTC a few times and it is unbelievably hard, frustrating at times but always rewarding. From an Ohio deer hunter’s perspective
Thanks! I’m expecting a pretty steep learning curve. Just excited to get out there for a week and get after it. Honestly for my first backcountry hunt, I’ll consider staying out there the entire time a success

I ended up with a Boise River B Tag. (Unit 39) I understand that there is a lot of hunters in that zone, due to its proximity to Boise. But my hunting partner and I are well versed in getting away from roads and hiking miles in to find game. Our experiences in the past is that most of the hunters don't want to be more than a mile or so from their truck