First Elk Hunt - 2022

Deadfall

WKR
Hey all, I'm new to western hunting, grew up chasing whitetails (watching them from a stand) and shooting ducks in upstate NY. I'm looking to grab an OTC Idaho elk tag and applying for a general Montana Elk tag and applying in Wyoming as well. Most of my hunting buddies are back East so it might be a struggle getting them out here. Just wondering if there's any forums on Rokslide for folks looking to connect with a hunting partner or group?

I'm planning on doing a week long backcountry hunt for this. If I'm able to get an Idaho or Montana tag, I'll definitely hunt solo but would be more comfortable going with someone else if I'll be in grizzly country.
Uh....you might want to slow your roll just a bit! Not sure what you consider "backcountry". First time, going by yourself. coming from low elevation. I am aware this backcountry thing is in vogue, but seriously you might consider hunting from a base camp that sits beside your car. get your feet wet then go do the "backcountry" thing. especially by yourself. find out if you can cover 12 miles in a day, in the mountains. then imagine doing that with 80 lbs 4 times ish with meat and camp. It's crazy how many folks these days jump in the deep end without first learning how to swim.

I HIGHLY recommend you start slow and work into it.
Mountains will kill you in a million different ways. DO NOT be fooled by media.

From your elevation you will most likely not even feel like yourself for a couple days or 3 until your body adjusts.

Yes there is a forum on here just for searching out hunting partners.
Good luck. try not to die!

ndbuck09

WKR
Uh....you might want to slow your roll just a bit! Not sure what you consider "backcountry". First time, going by yourself. coming from low elevation. I am aware this backcountry thing is in vogue, but seriously you might consider hunting from a base camp that sits beside your car. get your feet wet then go do the "backcountry" thing. especially by yourself. find out if you can cover 12 miles in a day, in the mountains. then imagine doing that with 80 lbs 4 times ish with meat and camp. It's crazy how many folks these days jump in the deep end without first learning how to swim.

From your elevation you will most likely not even feel like yourself for a couple days or 3 until your body adjusts.

I'll tell ya how folks get around the reality of those four 80 pound trips....they simply ditch meat and act like they tried their hardest. It's real frustrating in todays stupid hunting world because people are doing things they can't really complete to the level they're supposed to and end up shortcutting the most important part. Just my observations from Idaho.

Deadfall

WKR
I'll tell ya how folks get around the reality of those four 80 pound trips....they simply ditch meat and act like they tried their hardest. It's real frustrating in todays stupid hunting world because people are doing things they can't really complete to the level they're supposed to and end up shortcutting the most important part. Just my observations from Idaho.
Same observations from montana

OP
Snagletoothtiger

I'm heading to Idaho in the same zone as my elk tag for a black bear hunt this spring. I've got my pack and access to mountains so I'm hiking with a loaded pack to train. I'm under no illusion that this will be easy but I'm also not going to wait multiple years to do this, especially with OTC opportunities disappearing left and right. Appreciate the concern, and I can promise you I would never leave meat up on the mountain, I'll make more trips if necessary. Luckily, I was able to find a buddy for the elk season, he grabbed a white tail tag in the same unit.

Deadfall

WKR
I'm heading to Idaho in the same zone as my elk tag for a black bear hunt this spring. I've got my pack and access to mountains so I'm hiking with a loaded pack to train. I'm under no illusion that this will be easy but I'm also not going to wait multiple years to do this, especially with OTC opportunities disappearing left and right. Appreciate the concern, and I can promise you I would never leave meat up on the mountain, I'll make more trips if necessary. Luckily, I was able to find a buddy for the elk season, he grabbed a white tail tag in the same unit.
Sorry man. Wasn't trying to suggest you wait multiple years to go hunt.

Suggesting you start out easier hunts and grow into the exceptional difficult.

There is plenty of pain and heartache in elk hunting without going out of your way to look for it.
Carts before horses is what I'm getting at.

OP
Snagletoothtiger
Sorry man. Wasn't trying to suggest you wait multiple years to go hunt.

Suggesting you start out easier hunts and grow into the exceptional difficult.

There is plenty of pain and heartache in elk hunting without going out of your way to look for it.
Carts before horses is what I'm getting at.
I get that. Wasn't offended by the suggestion. I'm aware (as aware as a person who hasn't done this before can be) that this won't be a walk in the park. This post is also a little old at this point, since then I've found a hunting partner, grabbed a tag and started planning a spring bear hunt. I've said this somewhere on here before, I'm not expecting to come out with an elk. I obviously want to but I'll consider spending a week away from the truck (maybe a resupply trip or two back) and seeing some animals a success for the first go around. Always been a trial by fire type, I'll keep you guys posted on how the spring bear trip goes. Very well may be coming back here to say holy ****, you were right. Regardless, only way to get experience is to do it. Genuinely appreciate the advice though, these forums have been great.