First Elk Hunt. Bow or Rifle?

Molson

FNG
Greetings from way down in Florida. I’m starting to plan for my first Elk hunt (2022 season). I am a long time waterfowl hunter and have never made the leap into big game. I just never had the desire to shoot a deer from a tree stand down here.

Elk hunting has always been a desire of mine, and I am finally in a position to drop some coin on a guide.

I recently started shooting a bow with some professional teaching and I have the setup at home to be able to shoot every day. I am proficient with a rifle and optics already.

So the question at hand is, do I go on my first hunt with a bow or a rifle? My real desire is to get into the bow world, but it is too much too fast? Rifle just doesn’t have the same appeal to me.

I realize that the risk of going home without an animal is greater if I go the bow route. Any input is greatly appreciated!

Rich M

WKR
You already said what you want to do. Practice out to 75 yards and go.

rifle would be easier but archery is what makes you tick.

you want some tough hunting, do some deer hunting down here. You don’t gotta use a stand or blind. Grab a dove stool and have at it.

I like going home with an elk (or two) to put in the freezer. I eat elk almost every day. Reloading and shooting my rifle is also a good way for me to spend a weekend. This is why I mostly hunt cows with a rifle. I don't judge the hordes that like hiking around with a bow, blowing through plastic tubes at each other, and eating beef from the grocery store. Book that archery hunt. Do what makes you happy.

tuk

FNG
My first elk hunt this year as well. I picked archery for the reason i can take any elk. Modern rifle and muzzle loader it is only true spike or just cow or some sort of bs like that.

bnsafe

WKR
I would go with a muzzleloader for first hunt, but with a guide archery would be my choice between the two. Not that I have anything against rifles. I just know the thrill of having elk close enuf for a bow.

OP
M

Molson

FNG
Thank you all for the responses. What a great community. I really, really, really want a freezer full of meat, but the hunt is the most important part to me.

I guess if the ultimate goal is to try to take one with a bow every year, why wait another year and waste time with a rifle. May as well start getting the experience as soon as possible right?

Thanks again for the input! Apparently I knew what I wanted, I just wanted to see how many people called me an idiot for bow hunting in the mountains for my first large game hunt 😂

GSPHUNTER

WKR
Thank you all for the responses. What a great community. I really, really, really want a freezer full of meat, but the hunt is the most important part to me.

I guess if the ultimate goal is to try to take one with a bow every year, why wait another year and waste time with a rifle. May as well start getting the experience as soon as possible right?

Thanks again for the input! Apparently I knew what I wanted, I just wanted to see how many people called me an idiot for bow hunting in the mountains for my first large game hunt 😂
Idiot. :)

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
Archery.......without any doubts, especially since you're going with a guide. Personally, I find bowhunting elk MUCH easier than rifle hunting them. I rifle hunted for 25 years, and even though I almost always got an elk, they're tough to find and get a shot at them at times. Bow season I have no doubt at all that I'm going to get on elk most days out.

Then that means you will be the next world record holder on your first big game animal.

KRA-Z

FNG
Greetings from way down in Florida. I’m starting to plan for my first Elk hunt (2022 season). I am a long time waterfowl hunter and have never made the leap into big game. I just never had the desire to shoot a deer from a tree stand down here.

Elk hunting has always been a desire of mine, and I am finally in a position to drop some coin on a guide.

I recently started shooting a bow with some professional teaching and I have the setup at home to be able to shoot every day. I am proficient with a rifle and optics already.

So the question at hand is, do I go on my first hunt with a bow or a rifle? My real desire is to get into the bow world, but it is too much too fast? Rifle just doesn’t have the same appeal to me.

I realize that the risk of going home without an animal is greater if I go the bow route. Any input is greatly appreciated!
I mean if you were to pull it off with a bow... Jules Winnfield would have no choice but to give his wallet over to you.

Button

WKR
I’ll be using my bow for my 1st elk. Since taking up archery I’ve gone all in. Practice often and can shoot out as far as I can which my archery range is longer than my effective aim but I still keep it mowed for when I can accurately group arrows at 80 yards. Building my own arrows has been fun and worthwhile. Eventually I would like to buy a bow press for home maintenance and tuning.

arock

Lil-Rokslider
As a first year hunter (was out for achery, down in NM for rifle and hitting up a third rifle cow in two weeks since tags in CO are basically free for residents, definitely addicted) - I'd say with either weapon - Elk hunting is hard.

Do the hunt you think will enjoy the most (weather in the high country is always unpredictable but you're less likely to be completely miserable in September and hearing them scream is incredible - but the fall colors and a bit of snow is absolutely beautiful) and get after it. Make sure you have realistic expectations and enjoy. Its a blast even if you don't put one down.

HutchWV

FNG
I have had just as much fun hunting and not killing elk with a bow as about anything else in my life. I don't think it would be the same with a rifle.

BillW

FNG
Just got my first this year with rifle. Love bow hunting as well so next will most likely be with a bow but no regrets on any of my rifle hunts either. Different types of hinting and means more chance for time in the mountains or woods.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If I could hunt one animal for the rest of my life it would be elk. If I could do it one time a year for the rest of my life I'd choose mid-September. If I could use one weapon for the rest of my life I'm choosing archery. All of my hunting decisions revolve around those three things.

Just got my first this year with rifle. Love bow hunting as well so next will most likely be with a bow but no regrets on any of my rifle hunts either. Different types of hinting and means more chance for time in the mountains or woods.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Archery is definitely my preference. But I've grown to really like the late season spot and stalk, glass, and get up on high ridges. It's much different but I really do enjoy both types of hunting.