First elk hunt early November north east of Missoula Montana.

CB2900

FNG
This will be my first hunt with a friend who is from there but somewhat self guided. I went in a local outdoors store and bought Sitka for 50% off. Wondering what else I will need. Here is what I have.

Cloudburst jacket
Jetstream jacket
Core lightweight t short long sleeve
Timberline pants

Also I have polypro from the army (got out in 2014) in three different thicknesses.

I have a marmot puffy vest, a couple merino wool sweaters random brands that I use camping or fishing.

Keen summit county 450 insulated boots.

I bought a ton of wool socks years ago and they are all pretty work now so I will probably need new ones.

I love my under armpit beanie.

Any tips will help. Here I normally walk in and then put on a super heavy layer that will not work out there. It old gore Tex with fleece like stuff outside and absorbs moisture and gets really heavy.

bsnedeker

WKR
Are you day hunting or camping? I'm usually day hunting in November. My system is a set of wool long johns for top and bottom with Merino boxerbriefs for my base. On top of that I throw another light base layer (first lite wick or the sitka core lightweight), then I usually throw my Sitka Mountain Vest on top of that. If it's really cold I also throw on my Sitka heavyweight hoody (love that thing). I wear the Sitka Mountain pant with some sitka gaiters for my lower half.

In my pack I throw my puffy jacket and my puffy pants for times I'm glassing and my heavyweight hoody if I'm not wearing it. I don't take rain gear with me in November.

Bottom line is everyone's a little different. I run hot so I would never hike in any kind of real jacket...just the vest and maybe a hoody. I prefer to start out cold because I know I'll be getting hot after a few hundred yards of hiking. I know other guys that wear their jackets all day.

If it were me I would ditch the cloudburst and the jetstream and get a true puffy jacket and some puffy pants and go hunt.

OP
C

CB2900

FNG
Thank you. I will be camping in a wall tent and we will be on horses.