First elk hunt. First post. Gear gear gear

Jakerex

WKR
I’m on way too many forums, and this wasn’t one of them until today. I’ve been reading a ton of info on here lately, and it seems like one of the more educated groups on the topic of gear, specifically outerwear.

Going to CO for my first elk hunt in late October and am using it as an excuse to get a new jacket and pants. I’ve always been an uninsulated, goretex, fleece outerwear person with layers as needed underneath. Specifically my go to for the last many many years is uninsulated browning hydro fleece. I’m scared to hold it to light because I know it’s full of pin holes, and some that are much bigger.

I’m thinking the same with the new gear, waterproof, breathable, quiet face material, relatively quiet gear, lighter weight but not packable, durable, with pit zips. An all-around jacket and pants that will last me another 10-15 years.

I bought the kryptek vellus last season for cold weather stand hunting and that stuff is the tits. Love it. So my search started with Kryptek, and I found the Koldo. I like everything I read about it, even though there isn’t much out there. There is the Sitka thunderhead and downpour, the first lite seak, kuiu yukon, and others but I keep coming back to the koldo as it seems to be more of a durable all around jacket. But I don’t know

Anyone have any input specific to the koldo, or as it relates to these others? Anyone have a set of koldo in large they’d be willing to part with?

Thanks in advance for the input.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

def90

WKR
Why a rain jacket? In Colorado late October it’s going to be cold as in below freezing cold at night and first thing in the morning and then moderately warm in the afternoon, then there is always the off chance that you will get snow, anywhere from a dusting On the mountain tops to a foot or more.

Stick with the layering concept, fleece, maybe a puffyjacket that packs down small for the morning, something in between for when you are moving around in the afternoon.

OP
J

Jakerex

WKR
Well, I was thinking the water proof stuff because I need some new gear, and I’m really using this trip as an excuse to do so. This could be my only trip to CO in my lifetime, or maybe I’ll do it once every couple years. This gear will be more for western PA, built used in CO.

I see your point, and it’s why I’m here asking questions. Seems to be a huge movement away from wearing anything with a waterproof membrane unless it’s raining. I’ve always thought, why in the heck would you pack rain gear when you can just wear it, assuming you were comfortable in it.

I have enough layering shirts and pants for a small army. I guess my question is, Is a good goretex or similar jacket a bad all-around hunting jacket? Like I’ve said, I’ve worn an uninsulated hydro fleece jacket, goretex, for everything, for 10-15 years. Never an issue.

I don’t know man, I don’t even bow hunt in the rain, and that’s mainly what I do, cause it ain’t worth losing a blood trail over. Maybe rain stuff ain’t for me. But if that’s the case, I don’t need any new gear and I can just roll with what I got.

Sekora

Lil-Rokslider
My opinion is that if you do not hunt in the rain, do not buy rain gear. The "water resistant" pieces are much more comfortable and will keep you dry enough to hunt in less than ideal weather. I am also from western PA, and hunting season here is only so many days, so I hunt in the rain. I recently upgraded to mostly Sitka gear. I first bought a set of their rain gear on sale and liked it so much I started buying piece by piece when I found what I wanted on sale. I have just about everything I need now and did not pay retail for any of it. I have no experience with Kryptek, but I am sure it is also great stuff.

rgrx1276

Lil-Rokslider
Don't know about the newest of gear, I still use tried and true. Therma underwear, poly sock liners, wool socks for the base layer. Salomon GTX boots (insulated), Wool pants and shirt from Ibex in woodland green, and for top layer, a Fleece ranger hoodie from TAD and an artery'x goretex outer layer.which stops most of the rain from getting in and it's a great wind stopper.. And I love to hunt in the rain... I carry a tarp and a pad for sitting on if it's a frog strangler.... Other than the wool pants and shirt I've used this combo to varying stages from Iraq ( the absolute WORST rain I've ever seen outside of Panama) Afghanistan to Germany, Rocky mountain states and Georgia and Florida... I haven't been too miserable to quit yet...

def90

WKR
Well, I was thinking the water proof stuff because I need some new gear, and I’m really using this trip as an excuse to do so. This could be my only trip to CO in my lifetime, or maybe I’ll do it once every couple years. This gear will be more for western PA, built used in CO.

I see your point, and it’s why I’m here asking questions. Seems to be a huge movement away from wearing anything with a waterproof membrane unless it’s raining. I’ve always thought, why in the heck would you pack rain gear when you can just wear it, assuming you were comfortable in it.

I have enough layering shirts and pants for a small army. I guess my question is, Is a good goretex or similar jacket a bad all-around hunting jacket? Like I’ve said, I’ve worn an uninsulated hydro fleece jacket, goretex, for everything, for 10-15 years. Never an issue.

I don’t know man, I don’t even bow hunt in the rain, and that’s mainly what I do, cause it ain’t worth losing a blood trail over. Maybe rain stuff ain’t for me. But if that’s the case, I don’t need any new gear and I can just roll with what I got.

Most waterproof specific rain gear simply doesn’t breathe well, you end up sweating underneath it and you never really dry out once that happens vs a good goretex jacket which will also keep you dry in the rain. If you are tree stand hunting that may not be an issue because you are not moving around/sweating but on a Colorado hunt you will most definitely be on your feet moving most of the day, the last thing you want is a layer that is going to make you sweat more and hold that moisture in more than you normally would.

rgrx1276

Lil-Rokslider
Most waterproof specific rain gear simply doesn’t breathe well, you end up sweating underneath it and you never really dry out once that happens vs a good goretex jacket which will also keep you dry in the rain. If you are tree stand hunting that may not be an issue because you are not moving around/sweating but on a Colorado hunt you will most definitely be on your feet moving most of the day, the last thing you want is a layer that is going to make you sweat more and hold that moisture in more than you normally would.
Totally agree. I have used Polypro and fleece under Goretex pulling an Akio in the snow for miles and sweated my b*lls off. 5-10 minutes recovering and I was dry... Love the synthetic pants and shirts, but wool is really quiet.

OP
J

Jakerex

WKR
My opinion is that if you do not hunt in the rain, do not buy rain gear. The "water resistant" pieces are much more comfortable and will keep you dry enough to hunt in less than ideal weather. I am also from western PA, and hunting season here is only so many days, so I hunt in the rain. I recently upgraded to mostly Sitka gear. I first bought a set of their rain gear on sale and liked it so much I started buying piece by piece when I found what I wanted on sale. I have just about everything I need now and did not pay retail for any of it. I have no experience with Kryptek, but I am sure it is also great stuff.

Agree. I don’t plan on hunting in the rain, but I’m not leaving stand if it rains, which is why I always wanted to wear waterproof gear. Know what I’m mean.

But now you all got me leaning towards non waterproof. But then I’ll have to buy packable rain gear.....hahaha. Never ends

fwafwow

WKR
Classified Approved

I'm guilty of using any excuse to buy new gear, but I'd be careful in trying to buy gear for CO and expect it to be useful in all conditions. As an example, although the weather might be similar in October to part of your PA season, your hunting activity may differ dramatically. As @def90 said, if you are hiking around in CO, the *ideal* clothing would be different from what you would wear in a stand. I have First Lite and Kuiu for the former, and I have Sitka for the latter. And some of my Sitka is dedicated to a trip to Nebraska I make every year where I've sat in a stand for 12 hours at ~20 degrees - and I don't wear the stuff for anything else (as it is way too heavy and thick).

FWIW, as far as rain gear goes, even though I've got a closet full of stuff, I have only a very light set of rain gear from Kuiu (pants and jacket) and I've never worn them, but I take them with me to wear on top of other stuff if the rain is really really bad.

OP
J

Jakerex

WKR
I'm guilty of using any excuse to buy new gear, but I'd be careful in trying to buy gear for CO and expect it to be useful in all conditions. As an example, although the weather might be similar in October to part of your PA season, your hunting activity may differ dramatically. As @def90 said, if you are hiking around in CO, the *ideal* clothing would be different from what you would wear in a stand. I have First Lite and Kuiu for the former, and I have Sitka for the latter. And some of my Sitka is dedicated to a trip to Nebraska I make every year where I've sat in a stand for 12 hours at ~20 degrees - and I don't wear the stuff for anything else (as it is way too heavy and thick).

FWIW, as far as rain gear goes, even though I've got a closet full of stuff, I have only a very light set of rain gear from Kuiu (pants and jacket) and I've never worn them, but I take them with me to wear on top of other stuff if the rain is really really bad.

You’re absolutely right. I’m probably overthinking this!

N2TRKYS

WKR
I carry and use rain gear a good bit. I got tired of my crap getting wet while wearing a rain coat and/or suit. I switched over to a poncho type setup a couple years ago and couldn’t be happier with it. You just have to find what works best for you and your uses.

Good luck.

Last edited:

fwafwow

WKR
Classified Approved
You’re absolutely right. I’m probably overthinking this!

Not possible - for me part of the fun is researching, mulling over and asking questions about gear before a trip!