First Elk Hunt in CO units 7, 8, 9, 19, & 191

11boo

WKR
The only secret I know is burn boot leather till you find elk and play the wind. I called a really nice 6x into 20 yards last year, just couldn’t get the shot. I should have moved up another 40-50 once I knew he was coming in and I would have stuck him.
And that was only 400 yds from a heavily traveled Jeep road. I saw a lot of animals last year closer to roads than further, but my unit is covered up in Jeep roads. Very few spots more than 3 miles from any road. There are many places there that are so thick/covered with blowdown very few guys go into. I go there.

11boo

WKR
The only secret I know is burn boot leather till you find elk and play the wind. I called a really nice 6x into 20 yards last year, just couldn’t get the shot. I should have moved up another 40-50 once I knew he was coming in and I would have stuck him.
And that was only 400 yds from a heavily traveled Jeep road. I saw a lot of animals last year closer to roads than further, but my unit is covered up in Jeep roads. Very few spots more than 3 miles from any road. There are many places there that are so thick/covered with blowdown very few guys go into. I go there.

Keep going till you find elk. Get up plenty early to be in your target area at legal light(30 minutes before sunrise), stay out all day. Till dark. Some days I go back to camp mid day , usually to get camp chores done, then head back out.

4 years of bow hunting and no elk stuck. Four years of awesome memories for sure, I learn more each season.
This is nothing like rifle season, where I would fill the freezer most years.

CMack376

FNG

Keep going till you find elk. Get up plenty early to be in your target area at legal light(30 minutes before sunrise), stay out all day. Till dark. Some days I go back to camp mid day , usually to get camp chores done, then head back out.

4 years of bow hunting and no elk stuck. Four years of awesome memories for sure, I learn more each season.
This is nothing like rifle season, where I would fill the freezer most years.
Thanks for the pointers! Greatly appreciated!